Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
TSA going to stop allowing NOS opt-out?

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fil...a-32-d-ait.pdf

From the abstract:

TSA is updating the AIT PIA to reflect a change to the
operating protocol regarding the ability of individuals to opt opt-out of AIT screening in favor of
physical screening. While passengers may generally decline AIT screening in favor of physical
screening, TSA may direct mandatory AIT screening for some passengers.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:35 pm

I presume that the reasons for such mandatory NOS screening are SSI and we won't get a hint until we hear from some who have been forced into the machine. Can't wait until we also hear from the first people to refuse to step into the machine.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 1:08 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Can't say I'm surprised. I was already informed that they want to subject a much higher proportion of passengers to mandatory WTMD+ strip-search machine screening of passenger bodies.

Wheelchair assistance as the opt-out protocol? Arm in sling as the opt-out protocol?

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 22, 2015 at 1:32 pm
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: United 1K, AA Plat Exec, DL Plat, Marriott Titanium Lifetime Elite, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Being that TSA agents like to say any medical exception is an "opt-out" I would love to see how they handle this now. I have seen agents say that since THEY think insulin pumps can go through the AIT, if you 'choose' not to go through with one, you are opting out. Does that mean that TSA agents now can practice medicine?
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Can't say I'm surprised. I was already informed that they want to subject a much higher proportion of passengers to mandatory WTMD+ strip-search machine screening of passenger bodies.

Wheelchair assistance as the opt-out protocol? Arm in sling as the opt-out protocol?
I've got a vision in my head of 20 passengers standing in line all with their arms in slings. Perhaps that should be the next protest: Arm in a Sling Day
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by petaluma1
I've got a vision in my head of 20 passengers standing in line all with their arms in slings. Perhaps that should be the next protest: Arm in a Sling Day
If we get 500 people to commit it won't even cost that much!

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detai...0.1.bjp3Sz&s=p

Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:

Originally Posted by GUWonder

I'm in....
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Disgusted to see the TSA pushing this along. What are the security considerations going to be? Color of skin, all pax wearing orange shirts that day get NoS'd, etc? Interesting to see if anybody who is forced to use the machine will claim racial discrimination and file a lawsuit.

In terms of the medical (can't raise arms) exemption, I wouldn't be surprised if they scanned the perp with their arms down and then did a resolution pat down around the arms..

Originally Posted by joelfreak
Being that TSA agents like to say any medical exception is an "opt-out" I would love to see how they handle this now. I have seen agents say that since THEY think insulin pumps can go through the AIT, if you 'choose' not to go through with one, you are opting out. Does that mean that TSA agents now can practice medicine?
Clerks have been practicing medicine for years. Doubtful anything will change on that front.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 5:59 pm

TSA receiving push back at @AskTSA about this. Initially today they were saying people could always opt out - now their tune has changed to

Passengers undergoing screening will still have the option to decline an AIT screening in favor of a pat-down. However, some passengers will still be required to undergo AIT screenings as warranted by security considerations in order to safeguard transportation security.
Perhaps they are thinking of doing away with the trips to the backroom?

I say force them to articulate the reason for trying to force you into the NOS.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:37 pm

And, how, pray tell, are we going to force them to do that? Since most of us can't perform Jedi mind tricks, there's nothing that can compel them to give us this answer.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joelfreak
What do you mean by now? TSA screeners have confiscated life saving medicine, needed liquids, and in my case required me to remove a back brace I was under real Doctors orders to wear after back surgery.

I don't understand how a change this great isn't done through provision of the Administrative Procedures Act.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA receiving push back at @AskTSA about this. Initially today they were saying people could always opt out - now their tune has changed to

Quote:

Passengers undergoing screening will still have the option to decline an AIT screening in favor of a pat-down. However, some passengers will still be required to undergo AIT screenings as warranted by security considerations in order to safeguard transportation security.

They will never get rid of the back room because it instills fear and compliance.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: I still call it Onepass every now and then. Platinum.
Oh joy. Now we MUST assume the criminal pose or we can't fly.

So now instead of precheck, if I get one of the arbitrary alarms walking through.... not cool.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Sigh. This is not what I needed to read today. What next?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

It's clearly all a mistake. When they first put in the NoS, they told us that the machines would be secondary security. So obviously, they would never institute a policy of refusing opt-outs because it would mean going back on something that they had already promised.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.