Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CONFIRMED: TSA now checks for adults transporting children illegally

Old Dec 20, 2015, 7:26 am
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite

(well I assume as long as you're not an illegal alien, cause that would be profiling)

Came through PreCheck at MSY today with two grandchildren. TDC would not let me and them pass unless the children told her their names. I argued why it was necessary -- their names are on the boarding passes, and I told her their names.

She said, "it's for the children's safety."

I asked, what if the children could not speak? She said, well, then she wouldn't ask them to say their names. I told her that this process then is stupid and serves no purpose.

So, if we were ever wondering, we now know that the TSA considers itself an extension of the police and FBI, it seems.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Now?

It has been this way since my kids were old enough to speak. It may have been this way since TSA was stood up, but I can't be sure.

And this makes TSA is any more or less of an extension of the FBI by asking a kid his name than by asking you your name by examining your ID to see if it matches the name on your BP?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by KDS
(well I assume as long as you're not an illegal alien, cause that would be profiling)

Came through PreCheck at MSY today with two grandchildren. TDC would not let me and them pass unless the children told her their names. I argued why it was necessary -- their names are on the boarding passes, and I told her their names.

I asked, what if the children could not speak? She said, well, then she wouldn't ask them to say their names. I told her that this process then is stupid and serves no purpose.

So, if we were ever wondering, we now know that the TSA considers itself an extension of the police and FBI, it seems.
By making children get into the habit of giving suspicious strangers personal identifying information, the TSA is grooming children for being more at risk than if they were more of the mind of encouraging "stranger-danger" teaching and "don't touch my body" schooling.

To top it off, the TSA are even handing out stickers to young children. But at least some of the smarter TSA employees at least ask the parents/custodial adult for permission prior to handing stickers over to the young children.

The TSA has lots of people who are suspicious and suspect people -- so some of these TSA employees going after children is just not surprising.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
Now?

It has been this way since my kids were old enough to speak.
If so, either you have very young kids or your kids learned to speak rather late.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by KDS
As others have noted in other threads, the source of this behavior could be:
  • An overzealous TDC, attempting to make the "big find" all by themselves.
  • An overzealous TSM, implementing a "local enhancement" to TSA procedures in order to score the "big find" for their location.
  • An overzealous national policy imposed by TSA.

And, of course, since TSA does not publish its procedures for everyone to read and understand, there's no way to know the difference.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
As others have noted in other threads, the source of this behavior could be:
  • An overzealous TDC, attempting to make the "big find" all by themselves.
  • An overzealous TSM, implementing a "local enhancement" to TSA procedures in order to score the "big find" for their location.
  • An overzealous national policy imposed by TSA.

And, of course, since TSA does not publish its procedures for everyone to read and understand, there's no way to know the difference.
Regardless, TSA employees engaging in this type of questioning violates the Limited Administrative Search doctrine and is likely a civil rights violation.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Regardless, TSA employees engaging in this type of questioning violates the Limited Administrative Search doctrine and is likely a civil rights violation.
And until someone with deep pockets challenges TSA in court, TSA will continue on doing it.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 8:27 am
Suspended

What is next? TSA: "Hello kid, what is your name? Would you like some candy?"
Old Dec 21, 2015, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
And until someone with deep pockets challenges TSA in court, TSA will continue on doing it.
That doesn't mean that a person can't take a stand right at the checkpoint though.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
It's "Hello, kid, what's your name? Would you like a sticker?"

You have to think about what murdered child Adam Walsh's TSA/DHS apologist father (John Walsh of America's Most Wanted notoriety) has to say about this?
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
TSA's Pedobear: http://www.yaliberty.org/node/17939
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by KDS

She's just following directions from her higher-up. I highly doubt she sets policy and procedure.

With that said, yes, it's another worthless version of "The name game".

Curious to see what their reaction would be to a child with non-verbal autism? Or one who is just defiant.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
From my posts it is clear I have no love lost for the TSA, Homeland Insecurity or the gubmint.

While it more than fair game to debate and castigate them for their policies and actions it really is beyond the pale to liken any of them as an institution to pederasts and murderers even as there have been some individuals among them who are.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
She's just following directions from her higher-up. I highly doubt she sets policy and procedure.

With that said, yes, it's another worthless version of "The name game".

Curious to see what their reaction would be to a child with non-verbal autism? Or one who is just defiant.
Just following orders is not a defense.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Section 107
From my posts it is clear I have no love lost for the TSA, Homeland Insecurity or the gubmint.

While it more than fair game to debate and castigate them for their policies and actions it really is beyond the pale to liken any of them as an institution to pederasts and murderers even as there have been some individuals among them who are.
Agreed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.