Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Screwed up: Daughter Just Turned 18...ID Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2015, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

We are doing some domestic travel beginning tomorrow.

It just dawned on us...literally... as we are in the process of packing... that we may have an issue.

My oldest daughter turned 18 yesterday. She does not yet have a DL. She does have a permit. She also has a passport that expired earlier this year.

We will have her birth certificate, learner's permit, SS card, the expired passport and her School ID card.

So, what should we expect at check-in @ LAX tomorrow and LGA on return?

Anything else we need to bring along?

And, yes, I know, we/I screwed up by not thinking about this before now.

Thanks in advance for advice and experience.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
You do not need an ID to fly but you have a passport that is expired less than 1 year along with many corroborating piece of paperwork. Show up a little early at both places and enjoy the flight. Without the passport+ you would get more grilling from TSA but allowed to fly anyways.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 8:10 pm

TSA's officially stated policy is that a passenger can travel without "officially approved ID", as long as TSA can verify the identity of the passenger by other means. This process may require filling out forms, submitting additional information, and so on.

In practice ... well, nobody can say anything definitive about TSA in practice, because the experience at the checkpoint varies so much. You could experience anything from simply being waved through to having to being summarily denied entry to an invasive search of whatever personal property you've brought along.

I suspect that if the adults confidently presented their IDs and everyone's boarding passes to the TDC, just as you would if your daughter was still under 18, the TDC would probably think "oh, just another minor traveling with her parents" and think nothing of it. If challenged, you could fall back onto "oh, @#$!, we forgot that she needs an ID now" excuse, and then produce whatever stuff you have with you.

About the only concrete advice that can be given is this: get to the airport early, so that if you end up having to go through this hassle, you'll have time. Again, it's possible that nothing will happen, but it's also possible that something will happen.

Good luck.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. We will be getting there in plenty of time and hope for the best.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta, United
Do not take her SS card or birth cert. I would take the passport and school id and not worry.
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Do not take her SS card or birth cert. I would take the passport and school id and not worry.
I would definitely follow FUTR's advice: do not bring anything with sensitive information.

You'll be fine, just show up a few minutes early.

Mike
Old Dec 18, 2015, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up.

The TSA agent said the passport was still good since it expired this year. So, we breezed right on through. We shall see if we have such an easy time at LGA.

Again, thanks for the input! Happy Holidays!!!
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Forget the passport. Her learner's permit will do the trick.

Here in Maryland, a learner's permit is an ID card containing the same info as a driver's license, and completely usable as a state-issued ID for all purposes. Maryland also issues a non-driver ID that's almost identical to a license, except that it says "non-driver ID" on it.

A little Googling shows me that this is the case in CA as well. Which means that your daughter's learner's permit would have been accepted just as readily as an actual license. It's a government-issued ID, it's a permit to drive (provisionally), and it has her photo, DOB, and an expiration date on it.

If you're nervous, you can put the expired passport and school ID in her carryon as backups, but realistically, just have her use the learner's permit as she would a license. I doubt that the TSOs will bat an eye at it; they see all sorts of different state-issued IDs all the time.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For the sake of others. Should you find yourself without proper ID (people lose their wallets and the like), do bring everything you can find with you and allow plenty of time. Do not rely on anecdotes. As others note, you may be waived through or you may be sent away.

Don't worry about "sensitive" information. TSA can double-check a lot of information against routine commercial databases which contain basic information such as Social, date of birth, and the like.

I've always got my DL, GE and Passport and they are in separate locations. So, it's going to take a full-scale mess to lose everything.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 2:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CalVol
Just to follow up.

The TSA agent said the passport was still good since it expired this year. So, we breezed right on through. We shall see if we have such an easy time at LGA.

Again, thanks for the input! Happy Holidays!!!
ID expired less than a year is just fine for dealing with the TSA, including at LGA.

I've done it hundreds of times there over the years, most commonly without even being noticed that my presented ID had been expired for days, weeks, months or even just about a year. I've even done it with ID that is expired by a couple of years, even as they could have made a stink about that.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
ID expired less than a year is just fine for dealing with the TSA, including at LGA.

I've done it hundreds of times there over the years, most commonly without even being noticed that my presented ID had been expired for days, weeks, months or even just about a year. I've even done it with ID that is expired by a couple of years, even as they could have made a stink about that.
Not according to the geniuses at @AskTSA: "An expired passport is not considered a valid ID. You can use another form of identification such as a..."

Is @AskTSA a contracted service or is it in-house?
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by petaluma1
Not according to the geniuses at @AskTSA: "An expired passport is not considered a valid ID. You can use another form of identification such as a..."

Is @AskTSA a contracted service or is it in-house?
TSA spokespersons -- whether in-house, contracted for some purposes, or a combination of the two -- should get familiar with the TSA's history of still accepting ID as valid ID for domestic travel when the passenger's presented ID is not expired by more than a year.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
TSA spokespersons -- whether in-house, contracted for some purposes, or a combination of the two -- should get familiar with the TSA's history of still accepting ID as valid ID for domestic travel when the passenger's presented ID is not expired by more than a year.
From read that Twitter page, it seems there is a lot more that their spokespeople need to get familiar with in addition to ID, like being honest with what can happen when you try to carry baby food, breast milk or some meds on a plane. Their responses are making it seems as if getting the above through checkpoints is a breeze.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by WillCAD
Forget the passport. Her learner's permit will do the trick.

Here in Maryland, a learner's permit is an ID card containing the same info as a driver's license, and completely usable as a state-issued ID for all purposes. Maryland also issues a non-driver ID that's almost identical to a license, except that it says "non-driver ID" on it.

A little Googling shows me that this is the case in CA as well. Which means that your daughter's learner's permit would have been accepted just as readily as an actual license. It's a government-issued ID, it's a permit to drive (provisionally), and it has her photo, DOB, and an expiration date on it.
Just for future reference, the CA Learners Permit (along with the new resident's Interim [not provisional] Drivers License) are generally not accepted as identification for any purpose other than driving. While it can help establish identification, those documents alone are not sufficient to be recognized as full ID.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
Just for future reference, the CA Learners Permit (along with the new resident's Interim [not provisional] Drivers License) are generally not accepted as identification for any purpose other than driving. While it can help establish identification, those documents alone are not sufficient to be recognized as full ID.
Are you speaking in general in California, or are you referring specifically to TSA ID requirements at the checkpoint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.