Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Anothe expensive "future of security" machine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innova...ook.com&no-ist

As a fan of technology, I'm always intrigued by new machines that are purported to do something better, faster, or more efficiently than old machines or human labor. But I always get a suspicious tingle in the back of my mind when such a claim is made about a security-related machine.

This Qylatron scanner might be great. Or it might be the next billion-dollar boondoggle pursued by the US government in its never-ending quest to make us all safe from our own emotions.

Shape recognition is iffy. Constantly-learning AI is iffy. Putting two if's together makes for a pretty big risk of false positives and over-reactions.

On the other hand, I can't imagine this machine doing a worse job at critical thinking and discretionary judgements than the current crop of TSOs, so maybe it would actually be an improvement.

Anyway, with the machine on the market, I'm sure it's only a matter of tick-tocks before some senator gets a major campaign contribution from the company and rams purchase of a bunch of the machines down TSA's throat. If only the manufacturers of the automated bin return slides would do that, it would significantly reduce staffing needs at c/p's!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:30 am

I am still waiting for the technology that will let us keep our shoes on.

Israel has the mag shoe machine and Europe does not make you take off shoes unless it it is a high boot or with metal buckles, and when will the paranoia of buying liquids from secured areas be lifted so that I can bring my bottled water on the plane?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by FateSucks
I am still waiting for the technology that will let us keep our shoes on.

Israel has the mag shoe machine and Europe does not make you take off shoes unless it it is a high boot or with metal buckles, and when will the paranoia of buying liquids from secured areas be lifted so that I can bring my bottled water on the plane?
It will change when someone connected in the US comes up with a very expensive piece of equipment. After it is installed in the US, the US will start strong-arming other countries to implement the same machinery.

Just like the NoS that Germany decried for unreliability and ineffectiveness - but that are now being installed at German airports.

Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD

As a fan of technology, I'm always intrigued by new machines that are purported to do something better, faster, or more efficiently than old machines or human labor. But I always get a suspicious tingle in the back of my mind when such a claim is made about a security-related machine.
This was making the rounds of tech type news over the past two weeks. The system is unique in the design - 5 conveyor belts at one time, if one needs a check everyone else isn't stuck.

If you like technology, here are some patents on the device

Multi-threat detection portal:
EP 2257902 A2 (text from WO2009134496A2)
CA 2582375 C
US 8113071 B2

Other articles suggested that TSA is already in testing of the device, OR will soon be testing the device soon.

Last edited by gingersnaps; Dec 1, 2015 at 10:19 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The TSA is hooked to the machine strip searching of passengers. Their dream machines to search in multiple ways at nearly the same time are to include electronic strip searching of passengers.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think a combined WTMD/ETP would be the machine that makes most sense. Processing time would be the critical factor.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I think a combined WTMD/ETP would be the machine that makes most sense. Processing time would be the critical factor.
But would it generate the necessary amount of profit to line the right pockets?

That's the real criteria you use to judge feasibility at TSA.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie

There will always be government contractors ready and willing to fleece taxpayers.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by chollie

The Chertoff model....
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
There will always be government contractors ready and willing to fleece taxpayers.
Don't forget the army of lobbyists. What ever would I do without them.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Don't forget the army of lobbyists. What ever would I do without them.
I view lobbyist as a layer of the contractors organization.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 9:58 pm

With the layout of the thing I don't see the claimed possibility of 600 people per hour using it. Passengers have several bags they are carrying, you have to put it in on one side and go around to the other. Get a couple of slow people in there and the line comes to a halt.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by rolling_stone
With the layout of the thing I don't see the claimed possibility of 600 people per hour using it. Passengers have several bags they are carrying, you have to put it in on one side and go around to the other. Get a couple of slow people in there and the line comes to a halt.
I'd bet that those claims were made by the manufacturer, who tested it without regard to screening the people. I.E., the people put their bags in, walked around, and took their bags out, without getting any screening themselves.

Throw in even a WTMD and that number will go down significantly.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I'd bet that those claims were made by the manufacturer, who tested it without regard to screening the people. I.E., the people put their bags in, walked around, and took their bags out, without getting any screening themselves.

Throw in even a WTMD and that number will go down significantly.
A article I read said the machine was used in Brazil during the World Cup. It also looks one bag per pod. I agree the 600 per hour has to an gross over statement for airport use.

I have seen some travelers take up the entire lentgh of the xray rollers with their carry on bags.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the description of the machine at the link in the first post I think people are misunderstanding how this thing works.

Insert boarding pass and door opens. Insert bag. If it tests ok door reopens, if not door does not open.

A patron puts his or her ticket in the machine’s ticket slot, which opens a door to one of the pods. The person then places a bag inside, and the door locks. Inside the machine, various sensors scan the bag for weapons and other banned items. If the bag is determined to be safe, the door unlocks. If not, an alarm goes off to begin a security procedure.
The description in the article doesn't say there is a pass through as there is with the current x-ray systems.

This thing could easily slow down checkpoints to a crawl.

To be useful any screening machine needs continuous flow through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.