Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VWP enhancements

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes. Ok. But Obama was born before Kenyan independence and isn't a Kenyan citizen at this point. He lost it in his 20s without even having to take any action to lose it. Technically, Obama may have been a British subject and a US citizen for at least some years.
Absolutely and my point was only that some people may be citizens of countries they never chose or even had an idea they were citizens of.

This is a high profile case so it's fun to show that. Considering the outcry from certain quarters I'm sure he wasn't a Kenyan citizen at the time he started his US political career.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Absolutely and my point was only that some people may be citizens of countries they never chose or even had an idea they were citizens of.

This is a high profile case so it's fun to show that. Considering the outcry from certain quarters I'm sure he wasn't a Kenyan citizen at the time he started his US political career.
The Doost AB founder certainly didn't choose Iranian citizenship over Swedish citizenship, but I'm not sure when (if ever) he first recognized he was a dual-citizen of Iran. Giving up Iranian citizenship isn't all that easy even for those who may know they are Iranian dual-citizens -- even if they have no intention of ever visiting Iran or of claiming Iranian ID/passports.

Iran is a lot like the US in some ways, including that of not making it so easy and cheap to give up dual-citizenship status.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:34 pm

At least, Iran does not track assets or income for Iranian nationals who do not even work or live in Iran (looking at you, USA).

Still, this is pretty sad. Despite me not having heritage of any of the listed country, I feel sorry for those international travelers being denied ESTA just because of dual nationality or merely visiting over there.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 12:11 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

I think it's quite ridiculous to treat citizens of a particular country differently depending on what other citizenships they hold. A UK citizen is a UK citizen. What other citizenships he/she has, if any, is irrelevant.

From what I know, someone who is a natural born citizen of the US and also holds another citizenship is still eligible to be POTUS. If foreign citizenship doesn't interfere with ability to be president, why should it interfere with your ESTA?

At the very least, the government could have given ESTA holders some notice that they would need to apply for visas, rather than abruptly telling them when some people already had travel plans.

Funny how the targeted countries are countries whose governments we don't get along with (Iran, Iraq, Sudan, and Syria) but there is no restriction on countries where terrorists are known to come from (Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Afghanistan).
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:11 am
Suspended

There is indeed no constitutional requirement that a natural-born US dual-citizen of the US must surrender non-US citizenship to be eligible to be elected as (or otherwise become) POTUS.

When it comes to looking for "foreign" terrorists who are a threat to US civilians, the US would indeed be chasing up the wrong trees by aiming at Iran instead of aiming at say Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Morocco and a litany of other "US allies" in SW/C/S Asia region and North Africa.

Originally Posted by FateSucks
At least, Iran does not track assets or income for Iranian nationals who do not even work or live in Iran (looking at you, USA).

Still, this is pretty sad. Despite me not having heritage of any of the listed country, I feel sorry for those international travelers being denied ESTA just because of dual nationality or merely visiting over there.
Indeed. And surrendering Iranian citizenship is not even legally possible for Iranian dual-citizens under the age of 25 years. And even then, if they are a male Iranian dual-citizen, they are generally not allowed to lose their Iranian citizenship unless they have completed Iranian military service or received a service waiver and hopped through a lot of other steps that need to get approval from the senior most levels of the Iranian government. What does the US want to do, encourage VWP countries' Iranian dual-citizens to join up with the Iranian military services as a condition of being able to visit the US without a visa? Even that isn't an option.

It's increasingly obvious that the US Government wants to make it seem like its doing something for public consumption purposes without considering the negative byproducts and collateral damage of being trigger happy. These changes to the US VWP are but another example of the drivers in the Legislative and Executive branches being more of the "shoot first, ask questions (if any at all) later" variety.

A substantial numbers of Europeans of some Iranian ethnic backgrounds had no clue that they were even Iranian citizens. And yet now they are being treated by the US as if they are Iranian citizens despite only ever had European passports and citizenship as far as they knew.

Last edited by GUWonder; Feb 1, 2016 at 4:26 am
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Fredrik74

That's my biggest beef with the border patrol checkpoints in the USA -- they ask "of what country are you a citizen?" That's not for me to know -- a country claims me as a citizen, I don't get to choose who considers me one, and I have no obligation to know which countries assert such a claim. They would need to direct that question to the nationality experts in each country.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 4:43 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
What does the US want to do, encourage VWP countries' Iranian dual-citizens to join up with the Iranian military services as a condition of being able to visit the US without a visa? Even that isn't an option.
I think the US wants them to get a visa...
Old Feb 2, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: *G / OWS / STE+
This may be interesting but there is talk of Iranian-Americans losing or failing to gain security clearances for governmental and governmental contractor jobs due to some of them not disclosing what they didn't know: that they may be dual-citizens of the US and Iran without even ever recalling having an Iranian passport or any visits to Iran. This information about Iranian dual-citizenship wasn't all that well known to those involved in security clearances until the VWP "enhancement" news got around about it being applicable even to children who've never been to Iran and never have had an Iranian ID/passport.
Originally Posted by Blogndog
That's my biggest beef with the border patrol checkpoints in the USA -- they ask "of what country are you a citizen?" That's not for me to know -- a country claims me as a citizen, I don't get to choose who considers me one, and I have no obligation to know which countries assert such a claim. They would need to direct that question to the nationality experts in each country.
I think the above is relevant to my situation. I am a national of one of the VWP countries and may or may not also be a dual national of a 'terrorist' country. I have not asserted that I am and unless I tried to assert that I am, I can't see how I would know for sure.

I currently have an ESTA and answered 'no' to the dual citizenship question, as I was unaware I had or may have had a second citizenship, which is an issue I have only started looking into this as a result of these changes. As an aside, it strikes me that thousands of people must have innocently have answered this question incorrectly one way or another (e.g. people unaware they are citizens of somewhere by descent e.g. Ireland).

What would you do in my position? I don't particularly want to go and get a visa but it wouldn't be the end of the world - but what I'm more worried about is it may then be claimed I made misrepresentations on my original ESTA (and I'm not sure how I would prove otherwise).
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
And yet, in light of all of this, various EU airlines are restarting flights to IKA [latest being BA, with 4-class B772].
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by :D!
I think the US wants them to get a visa...
The US wants to deny many more such people admission to the US. When it comes to those VWP country citizens with no dual-citizenship, a history of lots of travel, and no history of being out of legal compliance, many are getting denied US visas after applying for US visas just because of the US VWP "enhancements" -- and this is hitting more so those adults well under 45 years of age than those older than that. And then they just come up with a more traditional excuse to deny the visas.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 7:45 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The US wants to deny many more such people admission to the US. ... And then they just come up with a more traditional excuse to deny the visas.
Yes. I should have said, the US wants them to apply for a visa, and pay the fee, and then get it denied.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by :D!
Yes. I should have said, the US wants them to apply for a visa, and pay the fee, and then get it denied.
The paying for the fee -- and even the filled in application material -- isn't the worse of it for the visa applicant who could have previously used the VWP; rather the worse of it is the time and hassle of actually dealing with the US embassy/consulate and having to take the time off to show up during business hours for a period of time that is so greatly variable and a waste of time.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The paying for the fee -- and even the filled in application material -- isn't the worse of it for the visa applicant who could have previously used the VWP; rather the worse of it is the time and hassle of actually dealing with the US embassy/consulate and having to take the time off to show up during business hours for a period of time that is so greatly variable and a waste of time.
Government at its best.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:26 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Government at its best.
no, the Manhattan Project, the atomic airplane project, the work projects administration, social security - those are examples of government at its best.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 4:30 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Not forgetting that many people do not live at a city which has a US embassy/consulate and so also have to factor in travel to apply for a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.