Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Pax harassed and screened AFTER flight - video

Pax harassed and screened AFTER flight - video

Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982
In light of what's happening with police in the country this past year, I doubt very much a cop is going "take you down" for continuing to legally videotape an airport checkpoint area. That would result in just another large settlement for the victim.
Except that the charge would actually be something like *cough* "interfering with the screening process" *cough*, which is so wonderfully ambiguous that the LEO might make the arrest, leading to a prolonged process to work it out.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:20 am

In light of what's happening with police in the country this past year, I doubt very much a cop is going "take you down" for continuing to legally videotape an airport checkpoint area. That would result in just another large settlement for the victim.
Happens every day some place in this country. Cops aren't particularly mindful of lawsuits and settlements as it doesn't come out of their pockets. If it did, much of the harassment and abuse of power would most likely cease.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Happens every day some place in this country. Cops aren't particularly mindful of lawsuits and settlements as it doesn't come out of their pockets. If it did, much of the harassment and abuse of power would most likely cease.
It does come out of their pocket in terms of loss of job and wages.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sadly cops seem more intent on enforcing "comply with my demands" than knowing the law.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:48 am

It does come out of their pocket in terms of loss of job and wages.
Only if they lose their job and how many of them do? Not enough to have any impact on their actions.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If its legal for people to video checkpoints, how would a cop be able to shut it down? If the person is telling the TSO no, why can't they tell the cop no as well?
Read up on Phil Mocek. One ABQ cop perjured himself on the stand - and got away with it. They confiscated his camera and while it was in TSA/cop custody, the images were deleted.

Not only was Phil arrested and taken to jail, the friend who was traveling with him and who did not get involved was also evicted from the airport.

Mention you have rights, or you know the law and they are wrong, and as they lead you away, they will tell you to save it for the judge.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Sadly cops seem more intent on enforcing "comply with my demands" than knowing the law.
Well, not too many months ago, SCOTUS ruled that if a cop pulls you over for something that is not actually illegal, it's OK if he says he acted in good faith and 'thought' it was illegal. (This followed a stop for something to do with tail lights. Pretty chilling - I don't expect a cop to know every line of the traffic code and other laws, but a traffic cop pulling people over for tail light violations that are not violations should sure as heck know better. He should have been taken off active duty and made to retrain as a rookie).
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
Well, not too many months ago, SCOTUS ruled that if a cop pulls you over for something that is not actually illegal, it's OK if he says he acted in good faith and 'thought' it was illegal. (This followed a stop for something to do with tail lights. Pretty chilling - I don't expect a cop to know every line of the traffic code and other laws, but a traffic cop pulling people over for tail light violations that are not violations should sure as heck know better. He should have been taken off active duty and made to retrain as a rookie).
People recording police during arrest, traffic stops, and other encounters with the public have been arresting the photographer on a regular basis even though the courts have ruled that filming police is a legal act unless the person interferes in some way. Usually some false claim is made by the police and in many cases the cops try to destroy evidence.

Cops need to be held accountable for their acts and assessed any monetary awards that result from their actions.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Usually some false claim is made by the police and in many cases the cops try to destroy evidence.
Upload to facebook. Goodluck trying to destroy that.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The country still has a poor record of holding police and police-wannabes -- TSA with their pseudo-police posturing -- accountable for unnecessary harming of others. Even when video was recorded that evidences the mess-ups by the authorities.

Getting released the videos taken by authorities is often like pulling teeth from the uncooperative, whenever the video has evidence of questionable behavior by the authorities.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Lots of anti-police types in this thread.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Is it anti-police to expect our LEO's to do their jobs and not step on the civil rights of citizens?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 1:42 pm

There are LEs in my extended family. They agree with the attitudes you read here and elsewhere. They are professionals and they deplore the widespread lack of standards, integrity and professionalism in the wider LE community.

Given it's their chosen career path, I think it's disingenuous to suggest they are 'anti-police'.

They are against abuse of authority.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by chollie
There are LEs in my extended family. They agree with the attitudes you read here and elsewhere. They are professionals and they deplore the widespread lack of standards, integrity and professionalism in the wider LE community.

Given it's their chosen career path, I think it's disingenuous to suggest they are 'anti-police'.

They are against abuse of authority.
I don't think they are posting in this thread though. Or am I wrong?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Where? Don't get by confused between that and those of us in favor of more accountability for those in positions of government employment where accountability is necessary for the protection and service of the public at large. Whether or not such government employees are police.

And I have family and friends who work for law enforcement.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.