Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Post-Paris "Flying While Brown" Syndrome Claims Its First Victims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post-Paris "Flying While Brown" Syndrome Claims Its First Victims

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
That is what they were saying when stating "after further investigating, no threat was found".
There is a difference, and it has a distinction. Saying no threat was found is not the same thing as saying the passenger wasn't/isn't a "suspicious passenger". Governmental word games like this back up the culture of reporting of "suspicious passengers" even when the suspicions are unwarranted and built upon racist/xenophobic bigotry.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:13 am

I like how even after affirming Islam is a religion, not a race, that people keep still bringing up because they are brown....even though there are fair skin Muslims in the Middle East and Europe!

It can be any race.

But anyway, U.S. Airports give people the suspicious card, just for looking different! People who are racially or ethnically ambiguous by appearance get a lot of attention from the U.S. Airport security folk because they are "dying" to know what you are to know how to label your security risk....sad, but true.

Especially when TSA do racial and ethnically profile passengers despite not doing anything wrong.....
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:21 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by FateSucks
I like how even after affirming Islam is a religion, not a race, that people keep still bringing up because they are brown....even though there are fair skin Muslims in the Middle East and Europe!

It can be any race.

But anyway, U.S. Airports give people the suspicious card, just for looking different! People who are racially or ethnically ambiguous by appearance get a lot of attention from the U.S. Airport security folk because they are "dying" to know what you are to know how to label your security risk....sad, but true.

Especially when TSA do racial and ethnically profile passengers despite not doing anything wrong.....
Yes, a Muslim can be any race.

However, the paranoid and xenophobic among us associate Islam mostly with brown-skinned Middle Eastern people. They do so the point of assuming that brown-skinned Sikh people from India are Middle Eastern Muslims, associating turbans with Islam.

Basically, their paranoia causes them to lump any and all people whom they hate and/or fear into one big category: brown people, Muslim people, foreign people, terrorists... the to xenophobic bigots, they're all the same and all to be equally feared.

Xenophobia is an emotion. It's not logical, and it causes people to make illogical assumptions and take illogical actions.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 1:37 am

Even Israeli Jews are mistaken to be Muslim, and half of them are either fair, tan, or brown.

TSA PROFILES PEOPLE more by facial structure, hair, and other factors other than skin tone...my friend who is Israeli gets mistaken to be Muslim at airports even though he is fair skin and does not have a beard.

Apparently, most TSA do not understand that there are Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews, in addition to Ashkenazi.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
Yes, a Muslim can be any race.

However, the paranoid and xenophobic among us associate Islam mostly with brown-skinned Middle Eastern people. They do so the point of assuming that brown-skinned Sikh people from India are Middle Eastern Muslims, associating turbans with Islam.
Agreed - I know several people from the ME who could easily pass for European. However many people in the US have never met anyone from the ME and only have a picture in their minds as to what a terrorist is supposed to look like which usually includes being brown.

As I posted earlier Indian people are commonly mistaken for being middle eastern. After 9/11 someone from India was attacked in San Diego while waiting at stoplights.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by WillCAD
No, a trivial one-liner would be, "D'you know that the human head weighs 8 pounds?"

8 lbs? That's not a head, it's a bowling ball!
Old Dec 12, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by BSBD
8 lbs? That's not a head, it's a bowling ball!
That depends on the filling. I certainly know a few people whose heads seem to be filled with polyurethane or hard rubber.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by blue_can
Agreed - I know several people from the ME who could easily pass for European. However many people in the US have never met anyone from the ME and only have a picture in their minds as to what a terrorist is supposed to look like which usually includes being brown.

As I posted earlier Indian people are commonly mistaken for being middle eastern. After 9/11 someone from India was attacked in San Diego while waiting at stoplights.
Still happens. Last checked by anyone with their head screwed on properly, ISIS wasn't tolerant of Sikhs. And Sikhs hassled on flights still happens.

It will be interesting to see what kind of incidents the Canadian Defense Minister (a Sikh wearing a turban at that) may have had or will have when flying to/from/within the US. Probably less of a problem for him if he minimizes use of US carriers and flies mostly Canadian and non-US carriers.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 12, 2015 at 10:02 pm
Old Dec 22, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by blue_can

Yup. As someone from India, I can attest to this and it's really quite unfortunate. It's also ironic when you consider just how much Islamic extremists also hate Indian Hindus/Sikhs and the amount of racism that is shown towards Indian workers in Arabic countries. There really is no country in the world where an Indian can travel and be completely free from racist treatment (not even India itself - due to the lack of explicit laws against racism, there are many pubs, beaches and restaurants that bar Indians entry in our own country ).

I envy white people, black people, Latinos, Japanese, Chinese and Arab people - each of these groups can count on at least one country or group of countries where they can reasonably expect to be free from racism. In my case, I am stuck analyzing every negative experience to determine if it was due to racism or just a cranky person at the other end. It drives me crazy.

On a consistent basis, the most racist place for an Indian traveler is the Middle East.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by quattro_formaggio
Yup. As someone from India, I can attest to this and it's really quite unfortunate. It's also ironic when you consider just how much Islamic extremists also hate Indian Hindus/Sikhs and the amount of racism that is shown towards Indian workers in Arabic countries. There really is no country in the world where an Indian can travel and be completely free from racist treatment (not even India itself - due to the lack of explicit laws against racism, there are many pubs, beaches and restaurants that bar Indians entry in our own country ).
I'd like to know which bars, restaurants and beaches in India ban entry to all Indians based on being Indian? As far as I knew, all ocean-fronting beaches in India are legally government property.

Just because there is racism in India and in "the Middle East" doesn't justify racism directed against passengers who are Indian and/or "Middle Eastern". I've never seen a "flying while brown" or "flying while black" or "flying while white" incident in India on Indian carriers.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.