Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Post-Paris "Flying While Brown" Syndrome Claims Its First Victims

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post-Paris "Flying While Brown" Syndrome Claims Its First Victims

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If a person really thinks there is something bad going on wouldn't getting off the plane be the prudent thing to do?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by chollie
The worst of it is, as a fellow pax, I'm reluctant to stand up and defend someone in this kind of situation, lest I risk getting deplaned and put on a list.

Mind you, if I am ever on a plane where this goes down, I will hold my peace, but if after the flight I see Mr. or Mrs. Johnny Pee-pants in the terminal, I will let them know what I think of their gutless bullying. They need to go home and hide in their Tom-Ridge-compliant 'safe room' to spare the rest of the population from being exposed to their sickness.

What would be poetic justice, of course, is if one of these clowns looking for their 5-seconds of fame got the tables turned on them on a subsequent flight.
Most minorities subjected to racism probably feel isolated during and after the attack because it seems like no one in the immediate vicinity was willing to get involved and intervene during the incident. Counter-accusations don't happen often enough in these kind of circumstances, not that everyone is in an equal position to risk the consequences for counter-accusation engagement at the time of the incident.

If I were ever deplaned in such circumstance, someone could use FRT to try to name and shame those engaged in character assassination attempts.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 23, 2015 at 12:46 pm
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I will cautiously intervene to try to de-escalate if it's still at the pax v. pax stage and I will certainly be forthcoming if anyone asks me what I saw or heard. I would feel free to share the experience online.

FRT?
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Facial recognition technology.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I remain stunned that some of the accusers are brave enough to get out of bed in the morning, given all the "bad" people in the world, on the roads and, of course, on their planes.

Mike
Old Nov 23, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Snowmageddon

Originally Posted by mikeef
I remain stunned that some of the accusers are brave enough to get out of bed in the morning, given all the "bad" people in the world, on the roads and, of course, on their planes.

Mike
Speaking of the roads... It's only going to get worse in the coming weeks.

Brace yourselves. Winter is coming.
Old Nov 23, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA, HA
This seems like the kind of story it'd be nice to have an investigative reporter drum up into a headline: US Carriers allow racists to determine security policy. C'mon airlines...get ahead of this curve!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine

Very, very glad that I am not traveling over Thanksgiving, although I do travel on Christmas day. That should be a blast.

Speaking of roads, I remember my days in MSP. I always thought it was funny that it was more difficult to drive in the summer, when all the construction had to be done in a few months, than in the winter.

Mike
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by mikeef
Very, very glad that I am not traveling over Thanksgiving, although I do travel on Christmas day. That should be a blast.

Speaking of roads, I remember my days in MSP. I always thought it was funny that it was more difficult to drive in the summer, when all the construction had to be done in a few months, than in the winter.

Mike
Well, then you know we only have two seasons here. Winter and Road Construction.

Bonus Minnesota joke: Our state bird is the mosquito!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by chollie
I've agreed and posted so elsewhere.

We'd see far fewer "He looked brown and scary and I feared for my life, get him off my plane" situations if the individual making the complaint was asked to deplane to answer questions and file an official complaint before removing one pax solely on the say-so of another.

That's not going to happen - not unless, of course, it starts costing the airlines money.

In the meantime, I stand by what I posted. If I ever see someone who pulled this after the flight in a terminal, I will share my thoughts with them.
I wish you well, Chollie. I hope to see such a spleen venting (not necessarily yours, just someone's) on YouTube very soon.

But I urge you to be cautious. Mr and Mrs Pee-Pants are jittery enough to run screaming to the nearest airport police officer and claim you assaulted them, and while I doubt you'd get arrested in such a situation, it would definitely delay your travel even further as you stood there, showing ID to the cops and explaining the entire situation, then listening to a lecture from the cops about how "You need to mind your own business and not start trouble with strangers" or "Keep your opinions to themselves to avoid stirring up trouble."

Call me Winter, please.

Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, then you know we only have two seasons here. Winter and Road Construction.

Bonus Minnesota joke: Our state bird is the mosquito!
Yup, have used both. Also, "land of 10,000 lakes and 500 fish."

Mike
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WillCAD
I wish you well, Chollie. I hope to see such a spleen venting (not necessarily yours, just someone's) on YouTube very soon.

But I urge you to be cautious. Mr and Mrs Pee-Pants are jittery enough to run screaming to the nearest airport police officer and claim you assaulted them, and while I doubt you'd get arrested in such a situation, it would definitely delay your travel even further as you stood there, showing ID to the cops and explaining the entire situation, then listening to a lecture from the cops about how "You need to mind your own business and not start trouble with strangers" or "Keep your opinions to themselves to avoid stirring up trouble."
Not to worry. I am not about to lower myself to their level.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 3:08 am
Suspended

Taking off the valet or gate check bag tag from her cabin bag with a breast pump, an American woman of South Asian ethnic heritage (and occasional contributor to CNN) was hassled over her removal of the tag -- apparently hassled at the urging of a fellow passenger:

https://us.yahoo.com/parenting/mom-o...173507809.html

Not sure what to make of the incident, because her angry male passenger could just be upset at her about: overhead space being taken up by someone who refuses to gate check a bag; or potentially delaying the flight due to possibly full/too small overhead bins.

Delta Air Lines has been supportive according to the passenger, and the flight crew was great according to her.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Taking off the valet or gate check bag tag from her cabin bag with a breast pump, an American woman of South Asian ethnic heritage (and occasional contributor to CNN) was hassled over her removal of the tag -- apparently hassled at the urging of a fellow passenger:

https://us.yahoo.com/parenting/mom-o...173507809.html

Not sure what to make of the incident, because her angry male passenger could just be upset at her about: overhead space being taken up by someone who refuses to gate check a bag; or potentially delaying the flight due to possibly full/too small overhead bins.

Delta Air Lines has been supportive according to the passenger, and the flight crew was great according to her.
Incidents like this instantly make me very angry. I hate bigotry. It makes my blood boil.

But sometimes, you read the whole article, and it casts... well, in this case, it's an unwarranted suspicion which makes me feel slightly dirty, as if I'm engaging in bigotry myself.

The woman in question, who claims she was a victim of bigotry, is someone who apparently makes her living reporting on bigotry.

It’s ironic that a woman known for making award-winning films on racial profiling and hate crimes against Sikh and Muslim Americans became the victim of angry passengers’ racial profiling herself while waiting to board a plane.
Bigotry comes in many forms, and not all of them where white sheets and burn crosses. Being angry at white bigots may have colored this woman's judgement, and when a passenger behind her saw her do something he thought was against the rules, she may have assumed, based solely on his race, that he was targeting her due to her race. Ditto for the gate agent.

Her tweet includes a lot of righteous indignation and accusations of bigotry, but aside from the fact that the two people in question were of a particular race, it offers no further evidence on their motivations.

So I'm going to call this one "unconfirmed" unless or until someone else comes along to corroborate it.
Old Dec 5, 2015, 6:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
I agree with WillCAD. Given that this happened in a Delta gate at a major Delta hub (ATL?), absent further objective evidence I'm inclined to think that this incident was precipitated by typical Delta Medallion over-entitlement/sense of outrage, rater than fear or bigotry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.