Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

ATL: LUV Pax claims he flew to MID with loaded semi-automatic handgun in his backpack

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATL: LUV Pax claims he flew to MID with loaded semi-automatic handgun in his backpack

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

The latest "Have Gun, Will Travel" update from Atlanta:

AJC.com: Gun allegedly passes through Atlanta airport security undetected (Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015)

A short quote:
Traveler Blake Alford told the Daily Mail that after arriving in Chicago on a Southwest Airlines flight from Atlanta, he discovered he had a loaded semi-automatic handgun in his backpack. The incident happened Nov. 5, the report said.

The TSA said in a statement that it is investigating the matter “to determine what occurred and what steps, if any, need to be taken to ensure that security protocols are executed appropriately.”
[I meant to say MDW in the thread title. Doh!]
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:24 pm

The TSA said in a statement that it is investigating the matter “to determine what occurred and what steps, if any, need to be taken to ensure that security protocols are executed appropriately.”
If we accept the premise, for now, that TSA is going to do precisely this ... how, exactly, can TSA figure out "what occurred"?

If TSA can figure out when the passenger passed through a checkpoint, and if TSA can figure out which checkpoint and screening line, and if the videotape at the checkpoint is working so that the exact moment of screening can be found, what's the videotape going to reveal? Will it be detailed enough to figure out which TSOs handled the backpack, or were viewing the X-ray images? Will it be detailed enough to show what image the backpack made on the X-ray screen?

In short ... even if you didn't have TSOs frantically trying to make sure that they're not blamed for this, I'm not sure how TSA could figure out anything that would allow them to take specific corrective actions.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the x-ray images being recorded? Seems to be the only way to do forensics in a case like this.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Are the x-ray images being recorded? Seems to be the only way to do forensics in a case like this.
I seriously doubt it. That would be millions of hours of footage from all of the x-ray scanners in the country. They'd need an NSA data center to store all of it.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think they're also going to be asking what kind of backpack he had, whether or not he was in a Pre lane (could a laptop have obscured the gun?), etc.

Or they aren't really going to do anything except eventually post something about 20+ layers of security, never any threat, probably a hoax because they reviewed footage and established that TSA did nothing wrong.

Almost forgot: and flag this guy for extra special attention next time he flies.

This made me chuckle:
If we find that standard procedures were not adhered to, we will retrain employees as necessary to ensure compliance with standard operating procedures.
Do they need to re-train employees to understand that they are supposed to comply with SOP at all times?

How do you 'train' for that? Have them chant 500 times "I promise I will follow SOP"?

Perhaps more employees would comply with SOP if they put down their cellphones, ended personal conversations conducted while they are supposed to be focused on the task at hand.

Perhaps more employees would comply with SOP if their LTSOs, STSOs and suits put down their cellphones, stopped the idle chit-chat, and paid attention to what is going on at the checkpoint.

If the pax is pulling a hoax and never had a gun, it was a foolish move, IMHO. They'll be watching for him next time.

Last edited by chollie; Nov 15, 2015 at 11:18 am
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by chollie
I think they're also going to be asking what kind of backpack he had, whether or not he was in a Pre lane (could a laptop have obscured the gun?), etc.

Or they aren't really going to do anything except eventually post something about 20+ layers of security, never any threat, probably a hoax because they reviewed footage and established that TSA did nothing wrong.

Almost forgot: and flag this guy for extra special attention next time he flies.

This made me chuckle:

Do they need to re-train employees to understand that they are supposed to comply with SOP at all times?

How do you 'train' for that? Have them chant 500 times "I promise I will follow SOP"?

Perhaps more employees would comply with SOP if they put down their cellphones, ended personal conversations conducted while they are supposed to be focused on the task at hand.

Perhaps more employees would comply with SOP if their LTSOs, STSOs and suits put down their cellphones, stopped the idle chit-chat, and paid attention to what is going on at the checkpoint.
I would prefer that they write it on the blackboard 500 times.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I seriously doubt it. That would be millions of hours of footage from all of the x-ray scanners in the country. They'd need an NSA data center to store all of it.
I agree, which goes back to the question of how TSA can really determine if a screener missed a handgun after the fact?

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that TSA attempts to penalize this person.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 3:47 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
This has happened before more than once. I know there was a case in Houston recently-I don't recall if the guy was flying from or to IAH/HOU but he found the gun when he got to the hotel.

And the TSA AFGE folks are out picketing right now for a better contract talking about how great they are...
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An overlooked question is why did this idiot tell the paper about it in the first place???
Old Nov 15, 2015, 4:27 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does TSA have any SOPs? Are they supposed to follow them?
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
An overlooked question is why did this idiot tell the paper about it in the first place???
After reading the article ... it's not clear that the passenger told the newspaper about it directly.

My guess is that the situation happened like this: the passenger got to his hotel room in Chicago, discovered the firearm, and then said "@#$!, how do I get home with this?". Not being an expert on checkpoint procedures (probably because he doesn't read this forum ), he probably called Southwest, which probably started a cascade of phone calls. At some point, a newspaper probably caught wind of the story.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
If this happened, it's kind of silly for TSA to bring up the 20+ 'layers'.

Bottom line, there's only one layer - the checkpoint - that's going to determine whether or not a pax actually gets a gun into the sterile area.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
After reading the article ... it's not clear that the passenger told the newspaper about it directly.

My guess is that the situation happened like this: the passenger got to his hotel room in Chicago, discovered the firearm, and then said "@#$!, how do I get home with this?". Not being an expert on checkpoint procedures (probably because he doesn't read this forum ), he probably called Southwest, which probably started a cascade of phone calls. At some point, a newspaper probably caught wind of the story.
Why couldn't he just ship it to himself? It's his property after all.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Why couldn't he just ship it to himself? It's his property after all.
This was the reason I posed my upstream question. Unless Chicago is locked down to the point that a gun owner can't even buy a shipping case in the city, it would seem like the common sense thing to do would be to buy a proper shipping container and bring it home via checked baggage. Than, the next time he flew out of ATL, he could just wink at the clerks. (Winking, or course, would cause him to earn some SPOTNik points.)

On the other hand, in Chicago, he could probably sell it on any street corner.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
On the other hand, in Chicago, he could probably sell it on any street corner.
Uhhh, Chicago has laws against that. Hence their non-existent violent crime rates.

Oh wait.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.