Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

What happens at secondary inspection? (Canada)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

In 2010 I was arrested for a DUI. I was able to participate in a pre-trial diversionary program, and charges were dismissed shortly after.

Jump ahead to a couple weeks ago...I was traveling to Montreal via car and was stopped at the border and sent to secondary inspection. After being kept in a waiting room for 30 minutes an agent greeted me and verified some basic information about why I was going to Canada, where I was staying etc...

At no point was an arrest record mentioned. Ultimately my passport was stamped, and I was sent on my way to the great white North.

My question is, since I spent an extended period of time in secondary inspection, is it fair to assume a background check would have been run and clearly the dismissed DUI wasn't an issue?

I'm asking this because my current job requires me to travel to Canada on a fairly regular basis, and i'm wondering if it's worth it to apply for NEXUS.

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: CM Gold / *A Gold
Yes, they probably ran your name. Since the criminal charge was dismissed, there is no record of conviction (finding/admission of guilt). Therefore you are free to enter.

Apply for Nexus. People have been arrested, with no findings of guilt (withdrawn, stayed charges) and are approved for Nexus routinely.
Remember to be honest and upfront in your Nexus Interview. They will ask "Have you been arrested." The answer is yes and followed up by your statement; "the criminal charge was withdrawn."
The most they will ask is for you to submit court documentation showing that the charge was withdrawn/dismissed/stayed.

Once you submit, you should be approved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.