Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Have Precheck-WTMD Beeped-Sent through Scanner-Issue with Wallet Security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat

So, I was "randomized" and had to be scanned. Never happened before. Actually, I didn't realize they even did that.

My issue is that as a Precheck Person, I send my gear through the Xray and keep my wallet. Go through WTMD and am on my way. Now, I had to empty all of my pockets. That meant my stuff was well through the X-ray. My Wallet was in a doggie bowl by itself. Completely exposed while I went through a seperate lane for scanning. I am not paranoid, but this was not a comfortable situation. All worked out OK, but my wallet would have been VERY easy to grab.

Do I have the wrong attitude here?
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be concerned.

With the known cases of TSA Sticky fingers and other passengers that have not been vetted you should take steps to protect your items. Locking your wallet in your carry-on would be prudent regardless of screening lane.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Oct 4, 2015 at 8:07 am
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You should be concerned.

With the known cases of TSA Stickey fingers and other passengers that have not been vetted you should take steps to protect your items. Locking your wallet in your carry-on would be prudent regardless of screening lane.
Yep. I did this before I was precheck. Will start again.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
My process is that as soon as I clear the doc checker, I tuck my money clip and bills, along with my credit card carrier, into a zippered pocket on my carry on, and close it.

I may keep my boarding pass in my hand or pocket. I don't use those open bowls.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It just seems easier to toss everything in your carryon anyway. A belt buckle, a bit of metal in your wallet and something else and before you know it, you've set off the mag and that defeats the entire purpose of Pre-Check (delaying you and the others behind you).
Old Oct 4, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta, United
Regardless of the chute I am going through like others once through the TDC I put everything in my carry bag and close it up. That way I only need to watch it. Out of sight, out of temptation. And when the TSO gets testy about me not standing exactly where they want I just tell them I am watching my personal possessions.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Put me down as another who hasn't changed their pre-security routine even with PreCheck. I stop some place out of the way and secure my wallet, watch, keys, etc., in my carry on....and no the wallet does not go right in a front or easy to get to pocket in my carry on. Been doing that since before TSA and will continue to do it as long as there is a security check which at this point and my age will be the rest of my life.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You should be concerned.

With the known cases of TSA Sticky fingers and other passengers that have not been vetted you should take steps to protect your items. Locking your wallet in your carry-on would be prudent regardless of screening lane.
Originally Posted by Randyk47
Put me down as another who hasn't changed their pre-security routine even with PreCheck. I stop some place out of the way and secure my wallet, watch, keys, etc., in my carry on....and no the wallet does not go right in a front or easy to get to pocket in my carry on. Been doing that since before TSA and will continue to do it as long as there is a security check which at this point and my age will be the rest of my life.
Yep -- this isn't hard and should be what everyone should be doing, regardless of whether or not you use ExtortionCheck or not.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't want TSA employees or fellow passengers in line to see where I put valuables. It's the same principle as putting stuff into the trunk of your car before driving to the new parking place.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Yep -- this isn't hard and should be what everyone should be doing, regardless of whether or not you use ExtortionCheck or not.
I agree with all posts and will be assuming I need to hide everything again. I just hadn't since I got precheck. Won't happen again.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Randyk47
This is exactly what I do as well, just in case I get diverted out of the Pre lane for whatever reason. Once I forgot I had my wallet in my front pants pocket, and before I could go through the WTMD the TSA guy noticed it and made me take it out so he could look through it. I haven't made that mistake again.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:34 pm

I hadn't thought about the wallet thing after getting Pre earlier this year. I guess I'll go back to tossing it back into a locking compartment of my carry on bag again.

FWIW on my last trip out of my hometown airport I was the lucky recipient of a random beep from the WTMD. I figured since we don't have a NoS here I just 'won' a Freedom Frisk™ but the guy just swabbed my shoes since I got to keep them on with pre-lite. Shockingly he didn't say anything when I took a step off the mat to the left and said "keeping an eye on my bags." He just nodded and said "Thanks, you're good to go" a few seconds later.

I shouldn't be too surprised honestly because unlike a good chunk of their colleagues the TSA screeners here have always been polite, efficient, and courteous during the screening process. Probably helps we only have a couple flights a day in/out of here.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
So, I was "randomized" and had to be scanned. Never happened before. Actually, I didn't realize they even did that.

My issue is that as a Precheck Person, I send my gear through the Xray and keep my wallet. Go through WTMD and am on my way. Now, I had to empty all of my pockets. That meant my stuff was well through the X-ray. My Wallet was in a doggie bowl by itself. Completely exposed while I went through a seperate lane for scanning. I am not paranoid, but this was not a comfortable situation. All worked out OK, but my wallet would have been VERY easy to grab.

It happened to me at ORD last week. I got the random beep at the WTMD. I asked about my wallet which I carry in my jacket inner breast pocket. A TSO told to keep it there. When I exited the scanner, another TSO patted down the pocket area and asked what was in there. I showed him the wallet. He told me I was good to go.
Old May 2, 2016, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker

yes you have the wrong attitude.

The overwhelming majority briefly disconnect from all their possessions in order to pass through security.

If you are Precheck, and everyone around you is Precheck, what do you have to worry about? Aren't Precheck people the trustworthy, why else would they have precheck?
Old May 2, 2016, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gingersnaps
yes you have the wrong attitude.

The overwhelming majority briefly disconnect from all their possessions in order to pass through security.

If you are Precheck, and everyone around you is Precheck, what do you have to worry about? Aren't Precheck people the trustworthy, why else would they have precheck?
You are right, Pre Check people are trustworthy. It's the TSA employees who are not!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.