Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
Well they're unclogging the normal lines in equal parts, so not really fair to call it clogging. In fact, optimising taxpayer resources could be one way of looking at it (even more efficient if they just moved everyon to pre of course).

FWIW visa users have already paid some ridiculously hefty Visa fees (and wasted a lot of time in a US consulate), it's only fair to grant them some niceties when in the US.
I disagree. The basic problem is these were total novices when it comes to US security procedures.

One way I think they could improve things is to not grant pre-check to those without a certain number of US departures under their belt.

While it was my first time actually using pre-check (I've gotten it before but unless we both get it we use the regular line--that way one of us is always in a position to keep an eye on our bags) I know what's expected--but they didn't. (Not to mention that none of them has a meaningful about of English, she had to translate.)
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:16 pm

Does anybody have a subscription to Politico Pro? A tweet on @TSA says "scraps PreCheck expansion search"

https://twitter.com/POLITICOPro/stat...85783034863617

Last edited by petaluma1; Oct 27, 2016 at 6:48 am
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-...ouse-bill/2843

Part of the bill addresses issues surrounding Precheck enrollment platforms, focusing on the handling of biographic and biometric info.

Another part of the bill covers other Pre-check aspects, including reliable availability.

The TSA shall:
  • coordinate with the heads of appropriate Department of Homeland Security (DHS) components to leverage DHS-held data and technologies to verify the citizenship of individuals enrolling in the program;
  • partner with the private sector to use biometrics and authentication standards such as those developed by NIST to facilitate enrollment;
  • consider leveraging existing airport resources to conduct fingerprint and background checks to expedite identity verification;
  • ensure that PreCheck Program screening lanes are available during peak and high-volume travel times at airports to enrolled individuals;
  • provide for expedited screening at standard screening lanes during times when PreCheck Program screening lanes are closed; and
  • initiate an assessment to identify security vulnerabilities in the vetting process for the program, including whether subjecting PreCheck Program participants to recurrent fingerprint-based criminal history records checks, in addition to recurrent checks against the terrorist watchlist, could be done in a cost-effective manner to strengthen the security of the program.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
San Francisco Chronicle:
Bill to ban non-members from TSA PreCheck lanes

Excerpt:
So this week the House approved by voice vote a bipartisan bill that would bar TSA from letting non-members into the PreCheck lanes. It's called the "PreCheck Is PreCheck Act of 2018." The legislation has the strong support of the Global Business Travel Association (GBTA), which said in a letter to the House Homeland Security Committee that the practice of letting non-members into the PreCheck lines has "raised issues within the business travel community." GBTA is a trade organization that represents corporate travel interests in Washington.

"PreCheck offers business travelers a risk-based, intelligence-driven aviation security that is fast, safe and efficient," GBTA said. "Time is money for business travelers, and inefficient procedures reduce business travel due to the hassle factor and ultimately hurt the economy."

The bill, HR 6265, mandates that only travelers who are members of a trusted traveler program (like PreCheck or Customs and Border Protection's Global Entry program) will be allowed to use the expedited PreCheck screening lanes, effective no later than one year after the bill becomes law. The only exceptions for non-members would be travelers age 12 or under, and 75 or over, who are traveling on the same itinerary as a program member.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:25 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by TWA884
San Francisco Chronicle:
What a terrible bill. PreCheck should be the norm for all travelers. Combined with an appropriate reallocation of lines, that will make security times faster for everyone, not just the special business travelers and paid trusted travelers, provided Congress and TSA keep the total staffing levels the same. And I say this as a NEXUS card holder.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:09 am

PreCheck is a failure. If this bill becomes law, TSA will either gradually phase out the program or it will die of its own accord because TSA doesn't have the staffing to open lanes for only a few people and sending PreCheck passengers to regular lines for "expedited" screening doesn't go over too well.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A couple of more points about HR 6265

The bill also appears to formalize the "doggie-sniffing = ExtortionCheck screening in the regular lines" that we have all seen them do when things get bogged down, like afternoon "prime time" at IAD:

But the legislation also orders TSA to develop a pilot program that provides "a risk modified screening protocol" for non-PreCheck lanes "to further segment passengers based on risk." It did not specify how TSA should do that. Those lanes would be for "low-risk" passengers as determined by "risk-based, intelligence-driven criteria," or passengers who have undergone "canine enhanced screening" – i.e., have been sniffed by dogs. (More about those dog sniffs here.)
And, it incentivizes the TSA to offer more deals to join ExtortionCheck:

The bill also calls on TSA to implement new programs that would increase enrollment in PreCheck. It suggests they do this by partnering with airlines to include PreCheck promotions in the reservations process, by developing a secure mobile enrollment platform, by adjusting the locations of existing enrollment centers to meet demand, and by considering pricing incentives such as discounts for families and small businesses that reimburse employees for PreCheck membership costs.
I can't imagine this bill is even close to being on the Senate's radar screen:

The bill now goes to the Senate, where it hasn't yet been scheduled for consideration.
If the Senate doesn't act, a House-Senate conference committee meets to consolidate comments, the bill is sent back to both houses, is passed and is sent to Trump for signature before Dec 31, 2018, the bill dies a natural death.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Even More Stuff in Bill

The House, unlike the TSA, has recognized that there's no reason why individuals who hold a U.S. security clearance shouldn't be given ExtortionCheck access:

(2) seek to include in the PreCheck Program individuals who—
(A) hold a Secret, Top Secret, or Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information clearance, unless such an individual has had his or her clearance revoked or did not pass a periodic reinvestigation; or(B) are current, full-time Federal law enforcement officers;

This would significantly add to the numbers of DoD CAC holders who have clearances and work outside the DoD, including, presumably, contractors.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope this bill fails. I believe that Extortion Check is bad for America. Pre type screening should be the base level of screening for everyone. If a concern is raised then resolve the concern.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
As someone with Global Entry for the past 7 years, I fail to see how limiting who has access is a bad thing. Having worked in the security industry I'm aware of security concerns that I cannot disclose, and as a frequent traveler I cannot stand the idiots that are included in PreCheck that have no clue what they are doing, holding up those of us that know what to do. Some are suggesting that giving PreCheck to all is a good thing?
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
As someone with Global Entry for the past 7 years, I fail to see how limiting who has access is a bad thing. Having worked in the security industry I'm aware of security concerns that I cannot disclose, and as a frequent traveler I cannot stand the idiots that are included in PreCheck that have no clue what they are doing, holding up those of us that know what to do. Some are suggesting that giving PreCheck to all is a good thing?
Not giving Pre Check to all but using Pre style screening for all. It wouldn't take long for anyone who flies once in a while to figure out the process.
Spiff, Loren Pechtel and ashill like this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:57 am

As someone with Global Entry for the past 7 years, I fail to see how limiting who has access is a bad thing. Having worked in the security industry I'm aware of security concerns that I cannot disclose
Maybe, though I'm rather skeptical. I certainly don't have any security experience or clearance.

as a frequent traveler I cannot stand the idiots that are included in PreCheck that have no clue what they are doing, holding up those of us that know what to do.
I have absolutely no sympathy for this DYKWIA argument for why not to have PreCheck. If there's a real security reason to deny people PreCheck, fine (though again, I'm skeptical). But making other people's security experience more time-consuming and unpleasant for your convenience is not appropriate for a government agency. If the airlines and airports (who control the lines until you reach the ID checkers) want to have priority lanes for PreCheck as PreCheck gets rolled out more, fine; that will have the effect of having PreCheck priority lines (with a higher fraction of frequent travellers who know what they're doing) and PreCheck non-priority lines (with a higher fraction of infrequent travellers who don't know what they're doing). But that has absolutely nothing to do with whether PreCheck should be opened to more people.

Some are suggesting that giving PreCheck to all is a good thing?
My understanding is that PreCheck was largely created to save the TSA money: having the time-wasting experience of regular TSA security requires more resources. So yes, having a lower-cost and more pleasant PreCheck experience for most or all travellers is very much a good thing. One thing they could certainly do is eliminate the fees for the interview and background check process. If it saves TSA resources at the airport, that may pay for itself, or at least subsidize some of the expense. I do like the component of the bill that reduces those application costs in some circumstances.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 10:58 am

PreCheck as first envisioned is a failure and in order to justify staffing for checkpoints for PreCheck, TSA has had to include non-Pre passengers at those checkpoints, which, of course, tells us that PreCheck is, like shoes off and LGA limitations, nothing but a joke.

TSA was certain 7 years ago that 25 million people would rush to enroll. That never happened and after 7 years, less than 7 million are enrolled. Recently, TSA cut the 25 million target in half. Hopefully, the program will die a natural death.

There is no reason not to screen all passengers at the PreCheck level as 99.99% of passengers are not a problem.
Spiff likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
There is a cost to everything, and a different level of security risk. I chose to pay to gain a higher level, but I have no interest in subsidizing others with my tax dollars, nor do I wish to include people that ignore everything said, yet act like morons in the security line. I prep and plan for the line I'm in, those that don't get nothing but frustration from me. I know what I'm doing, as do the others that frequently travel and have PreCheck, but the once a year travelers that refuse to listen, or even bother to plan create frustration for the rest of us. I can make it from car to gate in 2 minutes, but some moronic traveler that has no clue can screw that up and make it take 10 minutes, or even more.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:30 pm

There is a cost to everything, and a different level of security risk. I chose to pay to gain a higher level, but I have no interest in subsidizing others with my tax dollars
But that's the point: is regular screening cheaper than PreCheck? I highly doubt it; quite the contrary. So getting more people into PreCheck-style screening (however it's branded) saves tax dollars, I assert.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.