Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
So TSA is giving away Pre to those who don't qualify to apply? I thought the purpose of giving away Pre was to entice people to enroll.
Think that ship already sailed. Pre Check can only be successful if enough people pony up $85 extortion money and it doesn't look like that will happen. Would be hard to justify dedicating 3 to 4 people to staff a Pre line if it is underused. Explains why TSA is still funneling people into the Pre lines.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Think that ship already sailed. Pre Check can only be successful if enough people pony up $85 extortion money and it doesn't look like that will happen. Would be hard to justify dedicating 3 to 4 people to staff a Pre line if it is underused. Explains why TSA is still funneling people into the Pre lines.
Fixing Precheck is simple, knock it down to $50 (the fact it costs more than nexus is insane) or perhaps make it an annual membership.. $17/yr. Insanely inexpensive, but still $85.

Also way more promoting, people see the signs and banners and tune them out, more use in the media and stressing of the program.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Fixing Precheck is simple, knock it down to $50 (the fact it costs more than nexus is insane) or perhaps make it an annual membership.. $17/yr. Insanely inexpensive, but still $85.

Also way more promoting, people see the signs and banners and tune them out, more use in the media and stressing of the program.
No!. Not $85, not $50, not even $1. Pre Check style screening should be the default standard screening for everyone, escalating if needed for an individual traveler.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
No!. Not $85, not $50, not even $1. Pre Check style screening should be the default standard screening for everyone, escalating if needed for an individual traveler.
I'm just saying that this would be a start.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Heres a dirty little secret about American Airlines: President Scott Kirby says about 87 percent of its passengers fly once or less per year and that represents more than half of the airlines revenue.
(bolding mine)

This is something I've wondered about since the inception of Pre.

If 13% of travelers fly one or more times a year, is that enough for TSA to fully staff the program they are trying to sell people? Or will they continue to give it away to people who could never qualify for it while refusing to supply it to the very people who paid for it?

https://skift.com/2015/10/23/america...requent-flyer/
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
I'm just saying that this would be a start.
I'm saying it is a non-starter.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Direct from TSA's PreCheck requirements website:

Did they get Pre due to your booking via mileage awards?
Maybe the Pre-Check program is thus limited but managed inclusion certainly isn't.

We took a hop up to Canada with some of her relatives. B2s, not citizens or LPRs--and we were 5 for 5 on getting pre-check.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Maybe the Pre-Check program is thus limited but managed inclusion certainly isn't.

We took a hop up to Canada with some of her relatives. B2s, not citizens or LPRs--and we were 5 for 5 on getting pre-check.
So TSA is clogging up Pre lines with people who will never meet the eligibility requirements. SMH but so typical of TSA.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: 1 thousand
So TSA is clogging up Pre lines with people who will never meet the eligibility requirements. SMH but so typical of TSA.
Well they're unclogging the normal lines in equal parts, so not really fair to call it clogging. In fact, optimising taxpayer resources could be one way of looking at it (even more efficient if they just moved everyon to pre of course).

FWIW visa users have already paid some ridiculously hefty Visa fees (and wasted a lot of time in a US consulate), it's only fair to grant them some niceties when in the US.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by televisor
Well they're unclogging the normal lines in equal parts, so not really fair to call it clogging. In fact, optimising taxpayer resources could be one way of looking at it (even more efficient if they just moved everyon to pre of course).

FWIW visa users have already paid some ridiculously hefty Visa fees (and wasted a lot of time in a US consulate), it's only fair to grant them some niceties when in the US.
However, they have fewer screeners in the Pre lines, so the regular lines, with more screeners, now often move faster than the Pre lines.

Re lines in Denver:

https://twitter.com/dannyhoeft/statu...13299199565828

Last edited by petaluma1; Oct 26, 2016 at 10:21 am
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: 1 thousand
However, they have fewer screeners in the Pre lines, so the regular lines, with more screeners, now often move faster than the Pre lines.

Re lines in Denver:

https://twitter.com/dannyhoeft/statu...13299199565828
Do you have any numbers on throughput per screener?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Visa is just to get into the U.S. not to get favorable treatment from TSA.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:58 am

Do you have any numbers on throughput per screener?
No, but do you think TSA keeps those kinds of metrics or if they did that they would release them? SSI, you know.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
No, but do you think TSA keeps those kinds of metrics or if they did that they would release them? SSI, you know.
You mean like the unpublished fabricated metrics that claim that TSA Pre waits are averaging less than 10 minutes 97% of the time?

I wonder how that metric accounts for the Pre lanes that are never opened - or 'Pre lite' that means a wait in the single regular line and a chance to keep one's shoes on.

I suspect the only remotely factual basis to that bogus number is that if you measure a Pre pax from the time s/he starts dumping things on the belt until the time s/he exits the WTMD, you might get regular 5 minute transits. It's the exception, not the rule, as is obvious from all the photos of long Pre lines.

Somehow in TSA-world, wait time in line doesn't count. I wonder if they make that clear to the people they sell Pre to.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by chollie
You mean like the unpublished fabricated metrics that claim that TSA Pre waits are averaging less than 10 minutes 97% of the time?

I wonder how that metric accounts for the Pre lanes that are never opened - or 'Pre lite' that means a wait in the single regular line and a chance to keep one's shoes on.

I suspect the only remotely factual basis to that bogus number is that if you measure a Pre pax from the time s/he starts dumping things on the belt until the time s/he exits the WTMD, you might get regular 5 minute transits. It's the exception, not the rule, as is obvious from all the photos of long Pre lines.

Somehow in TSA-world, wait time in line doesn't count. I wonder if they make that clear to the people they sell Pre to.
I thought they were claiming less than 5 minute waits in July. I've asked about wait times for August and September, but strangely never did get a response.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.