Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

MORE FREE passes to Precheck - Managed Inclusion III

Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:12 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Airlines have nothing to do with assigning TSA Pre to individuals. All of those decisions are made exclusively by TSA.

If TSA Pre is printed on a boarding pass, a TSA computer system put it there.

If an inexperienced traveler is sent to a TSA Pre line, that was done by a TSA employee.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
The TSA has a stated goal of getting a substantial majority of passengers through pre check, which I think is good policy; getting rid of the dog and pony show of "regular" TSA screening (at least for most passengers) is a Good Thing. So no, I won't be writing a lettter encouraging TSA to limit precheck to Very Important Passengers like me.

There does seem to be a common misperception that pre check is about making the security experience faster for frequent travelers. That was never the goal; it is a side effect during the multi-year rollout of the program as well as an enticement to encourage more passengers to sign up. The goal is some combination of making security faster for everyone and reducing TSA costs.

(What does this have to do with Delta? I think this belongs in the safety and security forum.)
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mnbp
Airlines have nothing to do with assigning TSA Pre to individuals. All of those decisions are made exclusively by TSA.

If an inexperienced traveler is sent to a TSA Pre line, that was done by a TSA employee.
Agrees. This is a TSA employee lying to the public like they always seem to do. Airline submits the Secure Flight Data to DHS/TSA and they alone make the determination on who gets PreCheck.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
I am moving this over to the Trusted Travelers forum which is the appropriate home for this type of discussion.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: DL FO
Shorter PreCheck lines are a nice perk of an underused program, but were not the main motivating factor for me. The biggest advantage in my view is not having to unpack and undress in the middle of the terminal - basically taking us back to pre-2001 screening techniques, with the added layer of sorting passengers with more than minimal risk to a high level of screening. If I do carry on only, then I have to deal with a laptop and liquids, plus taking off shoes, and a coat in winter. It's clumsy and annoying. I will gladly wait a bit longer in line to let other have an overall easier experience.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I love my (paid for) Pre Check status.

I find lines are not too bad most times though I only deal with it about 10 times a year now. There are still some people that have no idea what the deal is, but not as many as in the past.

I surely do not see 90% taking their shoes off. Less than 10% in my recent trips.

As to comments from TSA employees - I think they are similar to what I have seen in just about every company out there. The front line employees have diluted views into what is going on. They are bored, tired, maybe do not care and love to contribute to rumors and false information. They just do not know.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
1) TSA determines who gets PreCheck. Not the airlines.
2) The screeners at the airport have no basis on which to assess who is in the PreCheck line for what reason. Whether you are active military, signed up for PreCheck or Global Entry, or an airline elite, your boarding pass reads the same. For that reason, their "statistics" are pure speculation.
3) PreCheck's stated goal is to send as many people as possible through PreCheck. The goal is not to keep the line empty for a few people to sail through. As utilization increases, wait times will become more similar to today's wait times in the standard screening lanes. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
1) TSA determines who gets PreCheck. Not the airlines.
2) The screeners at the airport have no basis on which to assess who is in the PreCheck line for what reason. Whether you are active military, signed up for PreCheck or Global Entry, or an airline elite, your boarding pass reads the same. For that reason, their "statistics" are pure speculation.
3) PreCheck's stated goal is to send as many people as possible through PreCheck. The goal is not to keep the line empty for a few people to sail through. As utilization increases, wait times will become more similar to today's wait times in the standard screening lanes. Enjoy the ride while it lasts.
Which is why PreCheck is nothing but a scam.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by mnbp

If there are people in the Pre lane who do not know what to do, it is TSA's fault for not providing a predictable experience.

At some airports, TSOs routinely decide that all Pre pax have to remove LGAs/laptops. That's not what Pre pax paid for and that's not what they prepare for. If the rules chance constantly, then TSA has the responsibility to provide polite real-time information to the pax.

If TSO does not tell people in the Pre line to ignore what Pre promised them when they signed up and ignore what the Pre signs say, then any delays are the fault of the TSOs.

If TSA is granting Pre to large numbers of pax who have not paid for the privilege, then it shouldn't be rocket science: dedicate more lanes to Pre as the regular lanes dwindle.

According to AskTSA, the lanes are opened and closed according to demand and airport ops (a lie, but we'll ignore that for now). If that were true, there shouldn't be overloaded lanes because TSA knows exactly how many pax it has granted free Pre to at any given moment.

In short: if someone is in the Pre lane and doesn't know what to expect, it is 100% TSA's fault.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I write one of my representatives it would be to suggest that all people are screened using Pre Check standards as a starting point. Conventional WTMD's and X-ray of carry on items is adequate for 99.999% of all travelers. If an individual alarms then address that situation.

Pre Check is a sucker bet if there ever was one.

One pays to be trusted but TSA doesn't honor that agreement or even offer the service all the time. If people would stop carrying water for TSA then TSA would be forced to either extend the program to everyone or relax regular screening.

Don't forget the whole purpose of TSA's Pre Check was to reduce the screeners workload.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If I write one of my representatives it would be to suggest that all people are screened using Pre Check standards as a starting point. Conventional WTMD's and X-ray of carry on items is adequate for 99.999% of all travelers. If an individual alarms then address that situation.

Pre Check is a sucker bet if there ever was one.

One pays to be trusted but TSA doesn't honor that agreement or even offer the service all the time. If people would stop carrying water for TSA then TSA would be forced to either extend the program to everyone or relax regular screening.

Don't forget the whole purpose of TSA's Pre Check was to reduce the screeners workload.
This.

Sounds like the TSOs in the OP were lazy and resented a fully-utilized Pre lane.

It's also time to start actually asking TSOs to focus on threats. Not water bottles, not 1/3 full tubes of toothpaste, not frosted cupcakes or nitro pills or Buzz Lightyear Grip Toys or Harry Potter wands: actual threats. TSA need to acknowledge that on an average day, other than guns or (possibly) large knives or machetes, TSA's 'bonus bins' should be completely empty - because other than guns or large knives/machetes, nothing they are throwing in those trash bins could be used to take down a plane or even to harm another person. (Of course, if you are a Monty Python fan, you will know the dangers posted by a banana).

They're failing the Red Team tests because they're looking for 'l-shaped' objects with handles ("gun replicas") and expensive perfume bottles. They find what they're told to look for.

Last edited by chollie; Sep 20, 2016 at 12:45 pm
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The removing of laptops generally means that the belt you're placing items on is used for all passengers. The screener operating it has no way to know which is PreCheck and which isn't.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
The removing of laptops generally means that the belt you're placing items on is used for all passengers. The screener operating it has no way to know which is PreCheck and which isn't.

If a laptop can be viewed by the x-ray screener while in the bag then it shouldn't matter if it is Pre or not.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If a laptop can be viewed by the x-ray screener while in the bag then it shouldn't matter if it is Pre or not.
Don't disagree. Just pointing out the reason that some agents let you keep it in and others don't isn't just on how they feel. It's a matter of not being in a precheck only lane.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Alright, I am thoroughly defeated on this. Based on the posts I got it, I am a moron.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.