Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Schengen Border Controls and Access to the FCT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More, Miles and Bonus, HHonors, Starwood, Hyatt

We have accessed the FCT terminal while connecting in FRA twice this year. I am a US citizen and my wife is a Serbian citizen with a US green card. Both times we passed immigration, left the main terminal and walked to the FCT. We plan on doing the same next month when we transit through FRA, but with stricter border controls imposed due to the refugee crisis, will this affect us trying to access the FCT? I don't think it would for me, but for my wife; even with a green card?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:41 pm

Programs: LH HON

Discussed in other threads... Highly doubt it would cause any problems - why would it?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:38 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Absolutely no need to worry, I enter the EU at least 10 times a year (most recently a week ago) with a Serbian passport and never encounter any difficulties.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by gojko88
Absolutely no need to worry, I enter the EU at least 10 times a year (most recently a week ago) with a Serbian passport and never encounter any difficulties.
OP was referring to recent hardening of border controls (as of Monday this week), so your experience is irrelevant. However, AFAIK, the hardening was for road borders and at this stage only for borders between Austria and Germany only.

So, for the OP - you should not see any changes at FRA airport and everything should be as used to be.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I got the impression that he was specifically worried about the passport being Serbian. Either way, it doesn't matter, no problems should be expected.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by vbroucek
OP was referring to recent hardening of border controls (as of Monday this week), so your experience is irrelevant. However, AFAIK, the hardening was for road borders and at this stage only for borders between Austria and Germany only.

So, for the OP - you should not see any changes at FRA airport and everything should be as used to be.
My VIE-DUS flight on Monday arrived in DUS in NON-Schengen and border control was present.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vbroucek

While the FCT use by the OP and OP's wife is highly unlikely to be disrupted by the current Schengen controls situation, the increased border checks are not limited to just surface transport crossings nor are they limited to just Austria-Germany trips. Flights into Germany from Croatia and Serbia have been getting more of an official "reception" at German airports too. And flights from VIE and even AMS have been getting more of a "reception".

The transit allowance and/or admissibility allowance of Serbian citizens into Germany for US-bound travels remains basically under the same conditions today as at this point last year.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 16, 2015 at 3:57 am
Old Sep 16, 2015, 7:28 am

Maybe it will take a few minutes longer than usual, but since you are both entering Schengen legally why would it even matter?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Rambuster
My VIE-DUS flight on Monday arrived in DUS in NON-Schengen and border control was present.
Originally Posted by GUWonder
While the FCT use by the OP and OP's wife is highly unlikely to be disrupted by the current Schengen controls situation, the increased border checks are not limited to just surface transport crossings nor are they limited to just Austria-Germany trips. Flights into Germany from Croatia and Serbia have been getting more of an official "reception" at German airports too. And flights from VIE and even AMS have been getting more of a "reception".

The transit allowance and/or admissibility allowance of Serbian citizens into Germany for US-bound travels remains basically under the same conditions today as at this point last year.
WOW, that's significantly more than officially announced...
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More, Miles and Bonus, HHonors, Starwood, Hyatt
thank you everyone for the input. Will keep an eye on any changes.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by babiko
thank you everyone for the input. Will keep an eye on any changes.
If unsure, just use FCL B instead.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:52 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Any information on PRG, GVA. I have a FRA-PRG-FRA ; FRA-GVA-FRA and a FRA-LHR in the next two weeks! Should I expect border checks on PRG and GVA too, and maybe build in longer connection times?
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daumueller
If unsure, just use FCL B instead.
That is the backup plan, but the FCT is just on another level in terms of service, experience. After going there the first time when I is was coming back to the States from Europe, I rerouted my second trans-atlantic trip last month just to use it again.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 12:44 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by babiko
That is the backup plan, but the FCT is just on another level in terms of service, experience. After going there the first time when I is was coming back to the States from Europe, I rerouted my second trans-atlantic trip last month just to use it again.
I don't understand the different level of service you talk about. The only thing you don't get in the FCL vs FCT is a PA to come and find you when it's time to leave for your flight. Also if you are connecting to a Schengen destination (which does not apply to the OP and his wife) or to a non-Schengen flight departing from a B gate, you will not be driven to your flight. On one occasion when I visited both the FCL B and FCT on the same day (a very long layover) I found the staff in the FCL B more attentive than in the FCT.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Any information on PRG, GVA. I have a FRA-PRG-FRA ; FRA-GVA-FRA and a FRA-LHR in the next two weeks! Should I expect border checks on PRG and GVA too, and maybe build in longer connection times?
I don't know at this point (and I'll make an effort to find out from sources in the relevant enforcement authorities and from others too). That said, there is only so much staff and attention span available for checking at airports, especially when the current primary refugee/migrant flow concerns are still more about surface crossings than air travel crossings and those aren't (at least yet) major flow channels. Personally, I wouldn't pad in more than perhaps 5 extra minutes on the kind of itineraries you've mentioned (assuming its for air travel), and even that I wouldn't do if it cost me a penny more.

If I find out anything that would make me change my own plans in this regard, I'll try to make sure to update this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.