CBP officer did not stamp my passport

Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/2014...-officials-say

And if anyone knows about waste, it's the Feds.
Hiring up the rather notorious Cohen (ex-CIA) was done with the city and state driving the process while fully aware it was going to be "expensive". [I haven't cared to go here into the details about how the NYPD was funded in part from federal funds and how this "international" aspect of the NYPD dovetailed with that federal funding.] This whole thing has reminded me of DHS/TSA and their desire to create a "professional/career development path" to get some more employees "international" "experience" and help with employee "morale", "retention" and "hiring". The only difference is that Cohen is pretty smart and knew how to get what he wanted for his own pursuits.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 10:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
My last two experiences:

- ORD December, 2015. I saw three CBP agents standing around by a booth after I went through GE and I said "excuse me, any chance one of you could give me a passport stamp?" The lead agent (A Supervisory CBP judging by his insignia) told me if I wanted one, I had to get in the line for people who'd gotten an X on their slip. I said "I don't want one that badly" and left

- DTW March, 2016. Everyone who had GE even without Xs had to hand their slip to an agent before going to baggage claim and he asked a few questions. After he asked me what I did and if I was bringing anything back from Asia, I asked for a stamp and he obliged ^
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: Miles & More
Originally Posted by pkoo
Passport stamps in developed countries are pretty much obsolete as every officer at any port of entry will have access to the electronic system
Rubbish! While the US does it, not all developed countries do. In the Schengen Area, for example, there is no central database of entries/exits, however several Schengen countries do record entries/exits of non-EU/EFTA nationals in their national databases, which however can't be seen by other states.

As such, not getting a stamp there can very much be an issue, particularly if exiting through a state other than the one you entered through.

Regarding the topic, however, the US does record entries and exits electronically, so no issue there
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:24 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Crazydre
Rubbish! While the US does it, not all developed countries do. In the Schengen Area, for example, there is no central database of entries/exits, however several Schengen countries do record entries/exits of non-EU/EFTA nationals in their national databases, which however can't be seen by other states.

As such, not getting a stamp there can very much be an issue, particularly if exiting through a state other than the one you entered through.

Regarding the topic, however, the US does record entries and exits electronically, so no issue there
That is true, but entries/exits using Schengen short term visas do hit VIS. But most of my entries into the Schengen zone on US passports are still not recorded by Schengen countries. Also, the Schengen entry stamps are still sometimes important for say US citizens moving to the Schengen area.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Crazydre

While this may be true, you realise you're replying to a post made 3.5 years ago?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by shaner82
Maybe the rules are different for Canadians, but I have visited the US hundreds of times (by land and air) and have never had my passport stamped, never once.
Given the large number of residents of Can-Am border areas who will cross 2-3 times a week or more (business meeting, hockey tickets, shopping, visiting friends, etc) stamping each time becomes unworkable pretty quickly.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards, Global Entry
Always stamped when entering/leaving a foreign country (except Canada) but I have never had it stamped when entering/leaving the US.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:32 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by Super80Fan
Always stamped when entering/leaving a foreign country (except Canada) but I have never had it stamped when entering/leaving the US.
My experience with stamps, US passport (but then I look foreign) -

Asia, all countries - always

Australia - always

France - only once in several trips

Europe otherwise - always (except intra-Schengen)

North and South America, except Canada and USA - always

Canada - never

USA - stamped most of the time.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 7:41 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Please follow the discussion in our Travel Safety and Security forum.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.