Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

2015 Survey: How Effective is the Transportation Security Administration?

Old Aug 25, 2015, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
This post is for the 2015 "How Effective is the TSA?" Poll, conducted by Flyertalk and Frequent Business Traveler magazine.

Please start by taking the short poll here.

Once you have taken the poll, please add your thoughts to the discussion in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 22, 2015, 11:31 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Please click here for the article and poll results. <--The link to the poll results will be added here when it is available.

It is that time of year again: nine simple poll questions to answer for only a few minutes of your time as to how you would rate the job performance of the Transportation Security Administration.

Although the Transportation Security Administration had implemented numerous changes in the past couple of years in order to improve the airport screening process for passengers, many frequent fliers who pass through hundreds of airport security checkpoints throughout the United States on a regular basis seem to believe that even more improvements are needed; while others believe that nothing has improved — and still others believe that airport security has actually worsened.

FlyerTalk — the largest Internet travel community in the world with a rich base of travel knowledge — has once again collaborated with Frequent Business Traveler magazine on a series of polls and surveys pertaining to air travel, restaurants, hotels, technology, safety and security. Frequent Business Traveler will provide the poll; FlyerTalk members — yes, you in particular — will provide the opinions.

This survey — active through September 24, 2015 — is about How Effective is the TSA?

As with the polls and discussions in 2014, 2013 and 2012, the primary purpose of this particular discussion is for you to opine; elaborate on your thoughts; and relate your experiences pertaining to the effectiveness of the Transportation Security Administration as a frequent traveler.

With the option to subscribe to Frequent Business Traveler Weekly free of charge, you will have a chance to win a piece of valuable airline memorabilia.

Results of this survey will be announced both on-line in the magazine and here on FlyerTalk.

So — how effective is the Transportation Security Administration? Please complete the survey today and let everyone know your thoughts and experiences!
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:59 am

100% effective - how many commercial planes have been flown into buildings since 9/11.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by alanR
100% effective - how many commercial planes have been flown into buildings since 9/11.
I wear an anti-bear-attack wristband in every city I visit. It's 100% effective, because I've never been attacked by a bear in a city.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Effective doing what???
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: American Airlines
Really?

Originally Posted by alanR
That PC correctness got Air Berlin flown into a mountain. The weakness is on the air-side anyway. A great man once said trade freedom for security and you will end up with neither.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Effective doing what???
At slowing down travelers and annoying them, I guess.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
How effective is the survey? [X] Not effective

If I'm not able to explain that certain CURRENT measures are ineffective because they're superfluous, what's the use of asking me?

Basically this survey comes down to: "Have no doubt--we're going to keep doing what we're doing. But...is there a chance that you'd accept us doing even more MORE to you?"
Old Aug 25, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
well, they have stopped thousands of firearms from getting on planes - guns which MIGHT have been used in a terroristic incident.

However, since it appears none of the arrests for gun possession at a checkpoint resulted in terrorism charges the probability of an intended terrorist incident actually being prevented or avoided was small indeed.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 9:43 am

Unfortunately, you can never prove or disprove the negative. The TSA will claim that since there have been no major incidents since their draconian security program has been instituted, their program has been 100% effective. However, than can not or will not tell us of any hijack attempts that they have blocked so there is no evidence to back up any of their claim.

There is, however, ample evidence to show that they have made air travel even worse than it was. There is ample evidence that the people who paw through our luggage steal from our luggage. There is ample evidence that some of the TSA people enjoy being in a position of power and enjoy humiliating people. There is ample evidence that TSA people make insulting remarks to people.

Are we better off with them. Probably not. Is there an alternative to them - I am not sure.

DON
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:02 am

My friend is flying back to Europe after visiting the U.S.
She accidentally packs a kitchen knife, 9" blade, sharp, and with a pointed end, into her carry-on.
TSA in NYC (I forget whether JFFK or EWR) never detects it.

When she was transferring in VIE security detected it, and, of course, confiscated it.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Section 107
well, they have stopped thousands of firearms from getting on planes - guns which MIGHT have been used in a terroristic incident.

However, since it appears none of the arrests for gun possession at a checkpoint resulted in terrorism charges the probability of an intended terrorist incident actually being prevented or avoided was small indeed.
Until airport workers are subjected to the same level of screening that passengers are the work of TSA has little value.

The air side of the airport are where the vulnerabilities lay.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Section 107
The pre-9/11 security measures and staff would have done the same.

BUT the TSA is MUCH WORSE than pre-9/11 security in terms of actual security. The 9/11 hijackers were successful only because the security personnel at BOS failed to follow written security procedures (see the 9/11 Commission Report).

As everyone on FlyerTalk will attest, TSA's rules are even more inconsistently applied. Again, let's remember that it was inconsistently-applied rules that allowed 9/11 to happen.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by taina2
That PC correctness got Air Berlin flown into a mountain. The weakness is on the air-side anyway. A great man once said trade freedom for security and you will end up with neither.
Germanwings, but the TSA had nothing to do with the security on that flight
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KRSW
The pre-9/11 security measures and staff would have done the same.

BUT the TSA is MUCH WORSE than pre-9/11 security in terms of actual security. The 9/11 hijackers were successful only because the security personnel at BOS failed to follow written security procedures (see the 9/11 Commission Report).

As everyone on FlyerTalk will attest, TSA's rules are even more inconsistently applied. Again, let's remember that it was inconsistently-applied rules that allowed 9/11 to happen.
Regarding the highlighted text, can you point out where that is stated in the report please.

http://www.9-11commission.gov/report/911Report.pdf
Old Aug 25, 2015, 11:32 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Until airport workers are subjected to the same level of screening that passengers are the work of TSA has little value.

The air side of the airport are where the vulnerabilities lay.

I know you say this as way of pointing out the perceived and real absurdities of TSA. And I am okay with that (your method) but it would also be nice if you also acknowledge that even your solution is of equally little value unless you also require EVERYTHING (ALL people, ALL vehicles and ALL material) that enters the "sterile" and "secure" areas to be thoroughly nude-o-scoped, x-rayed, swabbed, and then hand-inspected each and every time.

Are you willing to join/force us all in footing the bill (not just actual money but also intrusiveness, inconvenience, etc.) for that kind of security regime?

If you are, then great! You are at least consistent and have the courage of your convictions.

[Keep in mind, though, that your solution is utterly worthless from the outset as it is quite easily defeated miles away from an airport with a Strela or Igla manpad unit that can be had for just a few thousand bucks. I must say I am astounded at how few missile attacks there have been since 2000 on cargo/commercial aviation - none in the West - considering the disorganized environments in the eastern theaters of conflict, how relatively inexpensive the hardware is and how easily concealed the units are].

But if you are not willing to join/force us all to pay for such security that actually has value then you seem to be admitting that coming up with a reasonable security plan requires compromises based on available resources and probable risks - not just identifying possible risks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.