Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA Transportation Security Searches directive - 2012 vs 2009 diffs

Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Here's a partial diff of the TSA's Transportation Security Searches directive (2012 vs 2009), from my FOIA.

First 4 pages of original doc here.

Notice some interesting things they changed?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:27 pm

I find this addition rather interesting:

During a search, it may be necessary to read textual materials, for example, any written material or other media that may provide information about potential threats. Searches may properly include the reading of textual materials if necessary to rule out the presence of a threat.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:33 pm

[QUOTE=ND Sol;25302430]I find this addition rather interesting:[/QUOTE

Hm. Guess that explains why "they' get so pissed of with me. I dont have a cell or a laptop. I dont need it. I have computers in 2 countries. Cell . No I dont need it.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Oh, yeah, right! Terrowists always carry their "terrowist handbooks" with them, or written instructions about their next mission!! LOL!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
This just makes it tempting to carry something in a language TSA can't read without ridiculous effort. Basque or Maori, for example. A cookbook, perhaps. Or maybe a textbook. On ethics.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Or maybe a textbook. On ethics. In Arabic.
FTFY.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 2:28 am

Programs: QFF
TSA has been known to get upset with me because I don't have any liquids and thus don't have a bag for said liquids.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
This just makes it tempting to carry something in a language TSA can't read without ridiculous effort. Basque or Maori, for example. A cookbook, perhaps. Or maybe a textbook. On ethics.
Or the Koran?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol

During a search, it may be necessary to read textual materials, for example, any written material or other media that may provide information about potential threats. Searches may properly include the reading of textual materials if necessary to rule out the presence of a threat.
Definitions: Additional Screening: Secondary screening conducted to detect potential threats or risks or any particular substance, attribute, person, or <b>undesirable material.</b>

Who determines what material is undesirable? Will the TSA publish a list of such "undesirable material"?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...YMspgEK6w/edit
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Definitions: Additional Screening: Secondary screening conducted to detect potential threats or risks or any particular substance, attribute, person, or undesirable material.

Who determines what material is undesirable? Will the TSA publish a list of such "undesirable material"?
You're quoting the 2009 version. That was removed from the 2012 version (note that it's in red).

The relevant bits from the current version are "prohibited items" and "threat items".
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by saizai
You're quoting the 2009 version. That was removed from the 2012 version (note that it's in red).

The relevant bits from the current version are "prohibited items" and "threat items".
The use of those two phrases renders the "threat item" part open for abuse. So, no surprises there then.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:57 pm
Suspended

FTFY.
Actually that could be interesting. I might try and see if I can find something like that. Although... I do like having GE. :-/
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:21 pm

What I quoted from earlier today was not struck through.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitions: Additional Screening: Secondary screening conducted to detect potential threats or risks or any particular substance, attribute, person, or <b>undesirable material.</b>

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...YMspgEK6w/edit
I've got lots of questions as well just in the first four pages.

All search operations must be conducted without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability except as directed by the Federal Security Director (FSD) or Supervisory Air Marshal in Charge (SAC) and provided such direction is based on specific intelligence threat information.
So, the FSD or an air marshal can openly discriminate against any protected group as long as they invent a specific threat.

Behavior Detection Officers CBDOs): Specially-trained TSA personnel and TSA contract personnel who execute TSA's Screening of Passengers by Observation Technique (SPOT) Program.
Huh??? We have contractor SPOTNiks?

Screening: A search or appraisal of a person, place, document or thing, with or without assisting technologies, to determine compliance with TSA standards, regulations and applicable laws and to detect a threat. Not all screening activities are searches under the Fourth Amendment (e.g. BDO observations).
So, SPOTNiks exempted themselves from the 4th Amendment. And, what is an "appraisal?"

Search: An examination or inspection conducted in accordance with the Fourth Amendment of a person's body, property, conveyance, or other area where the person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
So, a private room groping is a 4th Amendment search but a public groping is not?

Special Needs Search: A search conducted without a warrant and in furtherance of a special governmental need, beyond the ordinary needs of law enforcement. In the context of transportation security, special needs searches are designed to mitigate the risk to the public posed by the introduction of threats into the transportation system.
So, since they're calling it a "search," that means we have our 4th Amendment protections, including the right of non-consent.

I read into this that this is a 4th Amendment search, since they didn't use the term "administrative." I would say that non-consent applies.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:54 am
Original Poster

What I quoted from earlier today was not struck through.
I added the strikethrough to the red bits to make it clearer. Anyway, you can read the original version instead of my diff; it's linked.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
So, the FSD or an air marshal can openly discriminate against any protected group as long as they invent a specific threat.
Yup! According to them, at least. Maybe not so much according to the Constitution, but when has that stopped them?

Huh??? We have contractor SPOTNiks?
Evidently. It didn't give any more info on that one.

So, SPOTNiks exempted themselves from the 4th Amendment. And, what is an "appraisal?"
Well, just looking at things in plain sight isn't a search or seizure. That part is actually true.

However, interrogating someone in order to try to find evidence of a crime… that's another matter altogether.

"Appraisal" isn't further defined. I think it just means the SPOT checklist.

So, a private room groping is a 4th Amendment search but a public groping is not?
I think you read this one wrong. It's about where is being searched, not where the search is conducted.

So, since they're calling it a "search," that means we have our 4th Amendment protections, including the right of non-consent.
Subject to court precedent on what constitutes a "reasonable" "administrative search".

I read into this that this is a 4th Amendment search, since they didn't use the term "administrative." I would say that non-consent applies.
They don't need to use the term "administrative". It's necessarily administrative, since they aren't authorized to engage in law enforcement searches.

The question would be whether such search is "reasonable", and whether you can take your stuff and leave, stopping the search, after they start reading through your things.

I think the court answers to both are going to be "mostly no". But see the Arabic flashcards case for counterpoint on the first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.