Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When does food become a liquid?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2015, 6:29 am
Original Poster

When does food become a liquid?

As the title says, when does food become a liquid?

I have taken items such as oranges through airport security, which could have a substantial liquid content when squeezed. However I saw another traveller having their pasta in a very small amount of tomato sauce taken off them.

Also, does anyone know what UK airports are like if you ask to leave the security checkpoint to return the prohibited item to your car/relative/friend/stomach? I know the TSA allow you to leave security instead of giving up the item, but I'm not sure the UK airports offer such an alternative.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:07 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
A scientific answer to your first question is not relevant to security theater. The answer is whatever the applicable security agency deems is a liquid is a liquid.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:47 pm

Programs: QFF
Food becomes a "liquid" when the screener decides they are hungry.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Motel 8 - Copper
Old Aug 12, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA gold, DL Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat
I had a small plastic container of apple sauce (about 6 oz) and went through about 10 airports in western Europe. But a humorless, unsmiling employee at ARN decided it was liquid and would not budge. So it is very subjective.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
Also, does anyone know what UK airports are like if you ask to leave the security checkpoint to return the prohibited item to your car/relative/friend/stomach? I know the TSA allow you to leave security instead of giving up the item, but I'm not sure the UK airports offer such an alternative.
I found this page that addresses this question:

If an item that I am carrying is refused at security, can I return and check it in as hold baggage?

In most cases yes, you will be offered the opportunity to voluntarily abandon the item at security or return and check it in as hold baggage.
But that, of course, assumes that you can get back to the check-in area, which (as explained on that same page) is not always possible.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 7:50 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
However I saw another traveller having their pasta in a very small amount of tomato sauce taken off them.
Ahh, that's not because of the sauce. It's because of the pasta. :-: Must be a UK thing. All explained in this thread: Pasta is a liquid
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Gatwick airport last week.

I had picked up some pasta at the M&S Simply Food to cook when I got home that evening and put it in my carryon.

Going through security, the bag gets flagged.

"What's this?"
"Pasta"
"Didn't you read the signs about liquids?"
"Yes, but this is pasta"
"Pasta is a liquid"
"Huh? How is pasta a liquid?"
"You have to add water to cook it. That makes it a liquid"...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 9:36 pm

A: When the TSAhole is hungry.

I usually bring back quite a bit of cheese from Murray's any time I'm passing through NYC. I had a TSA x-ray screener decide that I couldn't bring it on-board and would have to "surrender" it. I made enough noise that another screener came over. Fortunately this TSA screener wasn't a typical <redacted> and he made similar noises -- apparently he'd transferred from another airport and was sick and tired of the screeners at JFK stealing food. HE called over a supervisor, brought me a complaint form and asked me to fill it out. I've been through JFK many more times since then but haven't seen the hungry <redacted> since. I doubt they fired her. I'm assuming she's now rifling through my checked bags for the wine bottles I often bring back from NYC as well.

Last edited by TWA884; Nov 8, 2018 at 9:16 am Reason: FT Rule 16 - Vulgarity
Old Aug 18, 2015, 3:48 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
My idiot brother in law tried taking several pots of Houmous in his hand luggage which did not fly.

It does make you wonder why liquid explosives are "more" dangerous that solid explosives.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Just wait until someone at TSA realizes all passengers have way more than 3 oz worth of liquid artfully concealed in the cells of our bodies!
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Just wait until someone at TSA realizes all passengers have way more than 3 oz worth of liquid artfully concealed in the cells of our bodies!
They'll start demanding people get rid of said water, then be confused when a few terminals of people die from major dehydration.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Himeno
They'll start demanding people get rid of said water, then be confused when a few terminals of people die from major dehydration.
LOL, I do hope someone has the camera rolling when someone says "ok", unzips and starts eliminating his water all over the checkpoint as directed!
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When does it become a liquid?

At anything below Brinell 10.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 4:07 am

Programs: FB Gold - M&S Gold
According to security at CDG, this is "liquid" (something to do with being in a container ) and I had to surrender it (no checked luggage):

For those unfamilliar with French charcuterie, this is how it looks once out of the box:

I am glad it wasn't Foie Gras 'cause I would have been really pissed at this one. But I am sure many tourists have that dangerous liquid taken away from them...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:16 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by Enthilza
According to security at CDG, this is "liquid" (something to do with being in a container )
More likely something to do with (a) being delicious + (b) checkpoint staff being hungry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.