Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Welcome to the USA!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Welcome to the USA!!!

Just got back from Peru today. The people there were so friendly, polite and helpful in every way. Land at LAX, and within 3 minutes of entering the TBIT an immigration staff member yells at me because I was unclear how to use the new machines to read your passport. WELCOME HOME!!!! Just $ucks how rude and unfriendly many Americans are compared to people in many countries in the world.

Sorry, just had to rant, because it was such a rude awakening to arriving home after a great trip.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Chuckles
Just got back from Peru today. The people there were so friendly, polite and helpful in every way. Land at LAX, and within 3 minutes of entering the TBIT an immigration staff member yells at me because I was unclear how to use the new machines to read your passport. WELCOME HOME!!!! Just $ucks how rude and unfriendly many Americans are compared to people in many countries in the world.

Sorry, just had to rant, because it was such a rude awakening to arriving home after a great trip.
US DHS and other government employees at airports in real or pseudo-uniforms of law enforcement organizations are indeed more likely to yell and be rude to airline passengers than what seems to be the situation in many/most other countries. That said, the notion of Americans being more rude and unfriendly than people in many/most countries really doesn't hold up to be true unless limiting the comparison to the border control and airport security screener types.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
US DHS and other government employees at airports in real or pseudo-uniforms of law enforcement organizations are indeed more likely to yell and be rude to airline passengers than what seems to be the situation in many/most other countries. That said, the notion of Americans being more rude and unfriendly than people in many/most countries really doesn't hold up to be true unless limiting the comparison to the border control and airport security screener types.
Unfortunately, these people are the first impression for many of our guests.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: United Platinum, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Was the person who yelled in a blue uniform? Because those are likely the only U.S. Government employees in the area. If they were dressed differently or in a suit, then it was likely an LAX airport employee (ambassadors) trying to help, I guess?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
US DHS and other government employees at airports in real or pseudo-uniforms of law enforcement organizations are indeed more likely to yell and be rude to airline passengers than what seems to be the situation in many/most other countries.
Also, some of the young Vogons join the Vogon Guard Corps, which, aside from making them look moderately less hideous what with dashing uniforms and all that, also allows for exciting promotion opportunities such as Senior Shouting Officer.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had a remarkably positive re-entry to the States in DTW the other day. ICE was very helpful and unobtrusive.

The city itself may suck, but they got a heck of an airport.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 5:19 pm

I'm 100% confident that being a rude a-hole is a requirement for any sort of gov't job at airports.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:23 am

As long as I can skip the poetry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.