Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

LA Airport Police Back Effort To Ban Badges For Non-Sworn TSA Screeners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LA Airport Police Back Effort To Ban Badges For Non-Sworn TSA Screeners

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveBlaine
Quote:

Originally Posted by petaluma1

Thanks. If the LEO didn't get involved, what happened so that the screening was filmed?

Nothing. Just another cyber vigilante social justice crusader filming a guy trying to do his job to keep the flying public safe.
He was obviously filming the wrong people. The people who keep the flying public safe at airports are the aircrews, maintenance guys, and the ATCs.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Nothing. Just another cyber vigilante social justice crusader filming a guy trying to do his job to keep the flying public safe.
Not exactly. It was a guy filming a TSA clerk breaking the rules of his job - and also apparently having a mental breakdown as evidenced by his demand that people should respect his toy badge. I bought a deputy sheriff badge for my daughter; that's a more respectable badge than the TSA badges.

I'll admit I was not as interested in another man's rear as some people.
That's a metaphor. It means behaving in a petulant manner.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 23, 2015 at 11:31 am Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I bought a deputy sheriff badge for my daughter.
Far be it from me to tell you your business or to share parenting tips and tricks but you might consider if there are any laws against impersonating law enforcement in your area.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:03 am

Far be it from me to tell you your business or to share parenting tips and tricks but you might consider if there are any laws against impersonating law enforcement in your area.
Yes, it's a total exact replica. Now I need to get her a hat.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: QFF
If TSA can get away with it, i'm sure some kid can
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Himeno
If TSA can get away with it, i'm sure some kid can
Yes, it's exactly like a real law enforcement badge - a 5-pointed gold star with "Deputy Sheriff" on it in big letters.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Yes, it's exactly like a real law enforcement badge - a 5-pointed gold star with "Deputy Sheriff" on it in big letters.
If she ever uses it to try and get out of a speeding ticket, keep us posted.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cops Have Been Complaining Since 2008

Throwback to Time Magazine, June 17, 2008

The idea for the new badge and uniform came from an advisory council of TSA workers in the field. "We definitely wanted to change from the white shirts [which had an embroidered badge sewn onto the fabric]," says Stephanie Naar, a TSA employee who has worked at Reagan National Airport for over three years. "We wanted to have, I don't want to say more authority, but a more professional look to upgrade our image."

<snip>

Psychologists who have researched the effects of official-looking uniforms and badges find that they do indeed tend to make people more compliant. "Our research shows that people respect individuals who wear uniforms, and do what they say," says Brad J. Bushman, a professor who studies aggression at the Institute for Social Research at the University of Michigan.

<snip>

The uniform can also change the person wearing it. Bushman predicts that the new TSA uniforms may make screeners behave in a more dignified and authoritative manner. They may demand more of people, he says. And people can be expected to submit at least a little more readily.

<snip>

So far, the biggest complaint about the new uniforms has come from real police officers, who fear that giving TSA screeners badges might confuse the public into thinking the airport personnel are police officers. A former Kansas City International Airport police officer remembers pulling over a TSA screener for speeding on airport property. The screener tried to talk his way out of the ticket by showing the officer a cloth TSA badge, which he kept in his wallet. "They'd start the whole brotherhood thing, thin blue line, and all of that. I'm like, 'You got two weeks of training. I went to 22 weeks of the police academy. Sign here.'"
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Throwback to Time Magazine, June 17, 2008

"They'd start the whole brotherhood thing, thin blue line, and all of that. I'm like, 'You got two weeks of training. I went to 22 weeks of the police academy. Sign here.'"
Thin blue line?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thin Blue Line = Police
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thin Blue Line = Police
...and how they cover for each other (orally and in writing) when one of them gets out of line.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by TheOneTheOnly
The Boy Scouts have cloth "badges" yet no one comes close to thinking of them as law enforcement. I don't know of any police department that uses cloth badges in lieu of a metal badge somewhere.
Perhaps they should be required to wear red noses and frizzy wigs?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Thin Blue Line = Police
Sorry. Wasn't clear. Thin blue line?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 1:44 pm

Thin Blue Line: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Th...e_Line_(emblem)
Old Jul 24, 2015, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Not "Thin blue line?"

"Thin blue line?"

The TSA clerk was calling on the solidarity of the "thin blue line," but I don't think any line, or other aggregation of TSA clerks, of any color, is likely to be "thin".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.