Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

' Why was Oscar-winning Snowden documentarian detained 50+ times in US airports?'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

' Why was Oscar-winning Snowden documentarian detained 50+ times in US airports?'

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:14 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

ArsTechnica

Laura Poitras gained notoriety as the documentary filmmaker behind the 2014 Oscar-winning movie Citizenfour, a film about the time she and Glenn Greenwald spent with NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

What's less known about Poitras is that from 2006 until 2012, she was stopped at the US border every single time she entered the country. In all, she was stopped on more than 50 occasions. Poitras, who is a US citizen, never got a satisfactory explanation as to why the detentions took place.

Frustrated after years of stonewalling, today Poitras said she's working with lawyers at the Electronic Frontier Foundation to get answers. The group is filing a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit against the Department of Justice and two other agencies.

Poitras said she's filing the suit to support less high-profile people who were subject to the same years of "Kafkaesque harassment" that she was.
A class act. ^^
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by essxjay
ArsTechnica

A class act. ^^
In my experience, CBP officials are of the belief that they can "do anything we want" at the border. There is a border exemption to the normal 4th Amendment requirments for probable cause, but as court rulings have repeatedly confirmed, there are still strong constitutional protections against abuse of this very limited exemption. CBP may, for example, "search anyone they want to," but that doesn't make it make it legal for them to stop all black men just because they "want" to. It is also is not legal for the government to use the opportunity of an investigation target crossing a border to conduct a search that they haven't been able to persuade a judge to issue a search warrant for -- obviously, that would make the 4th Amendment a purely theoretical and academic "protection" because the government could simply wait until the next time they entered the country.

CBP is slowly being brought to heel, but the wheels of justice turn ever so slowly.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:25 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PDF Complaint: https://www.eff.org/files/2015/07/13..._complaint.pdf
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm

Despite 14 years since 9/11 we still seem to be trapped in a paranoid Joseph McCarthy-esque milieu where anyone with half a brain can be persecuted by the Security Industrial Complex, and doing so at the border is a good way to circumvent all those pesky Constitutional protections. Last time I was coming from Asia, after six months or so on Thai beaches, the idiot-in-charge at customs at LAX freaked out over the sand at the bottom of my backpack, calling it "possible organic matter."
He summoned his buddy over to check out the "organic matter" and
the guys eyes rolled as he advised his colleague, "Calm down, it's sand, Joe. Sand."
There's no end to their idiocy. Maybe the solution is to wave an American
flag around and pretend like you're not too bright.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Trying to intimidate or otherwise harass people exposing the dark side of government is a desire for too many of those whose idea of patriotism is a petty version that can't tolerate the light of day being shined upon the shadows and dark corners created by government.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Randomly selected.

Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:39 am
Suspended

"Randomly selected" where the selection was anything but random as various governments were more interested in frustrating well-sourced critical coverage of domestic and foreign adventures by "respectable governments" than in taking a look in the mirror of these same governments betraying their own public subjected to intrusive massive spying mechanisms for no good reason. Oh the irony on who the hackers are and who all has enabled the hacking and leaks.

The consequence of blacklisting people can sometimes result in otherwise "nice people" going off the wall. In the Chattanooga "active shooter" matter yesterday, the perpetrator of those crimes went off the wall well after his father was blacklisted in terms of air travel but then told repeatedly he was "randomly selected". The combination of the governmental "deception" and blacklisting people can give rise to grievances that make the frustrated, including those with mental disorders, go off the wall and perpetrate criminal acts against a government which they believe has wronged them by dehumanizing them. It's no surprise to all that some such people end up dehumanizing others in response and then go off the wall in the awful way seen yesterday in TN.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 22, 2015 at 5:27 pm
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:46 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
The sad thing is these low level agents on the front lines are just "following orders".

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 22, 2015 at 5:46 pm
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:58 am
Suspended

In "the land of the free" we are not slaves/conscripts forced to stay in a job and "follow orders" which we consider repugnant. I would rather choose to be homeless than follow some orders which betray my country. I suspect that not all DHS employees are of the same disposition as myself, but there are always some apples that don't fall too close to the tree.

Old Jul 17, 2015, 10:04 am

But, but, but....They offer a dental plan.

Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Blogndog
In my experience, CBP officials are of the belief that they can "do anything we want" at the border. There is a border exemption to the normal 4th Amendment requirments for probable cause, but as court rulings have repeatedly confirmed, there are still strong constitutional protections against abuse of this very limited exemption. CBP may, for example, "search anyone they want to," but that doesn't make it make it legal for them to stop all black men just because they "want" to.
I agree.

Originally Posted by Blogndog
It is also is not legal for the government to use the opportunity of an investigation target crossing a border to conduct a search that they haven't been able to persuade a judge to issue a search warrant for -- obviously, that would make the 4th Amendment a purely theoretical and academic "protection" because the government could simply wait until the next time they entered the country.
I disagree. There is nothing illegal about taking the opportunity of an investigation target crossing a border to single him out and search through his stuff.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:07 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It might violate the 14th Amendment.

Last edited by essxjay; Jul 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
It might in unusual circumstances but probably wont because the threshold for searching is much much lower at the border (and within proximity of a border or port).

Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:38 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's just another way of saying that 4th Amendment standards are lowered at the border. But it says nothing of equal protection. Could CBP put in place a policy that the hand luggage of all Caucasian passengers is to be searched, the checked baggage of all Latino passengers is to be searched and no luggage of black passengers is to be searched because no level of suspicion is required hand baggage searches? Of course not. The 14th Amendment applies with full force at the border; violations are just hard prove, sort of like they are with traffic stops. I see no reason why a "class of one" equal protection claim should fail. But that is not even being pursued here-- just a FOIA request.

Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I agree.

I disagree. There is nothing illegal about taking the opportunity of an investigation target crossing a border to single him out and search through his stuff.
The was exactly the argument the Feds made in court in the David House case. The Feds lost, as they should have.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/new-d...ptops-border-0

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.