TSA using tablet to choose passenger line

Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

TSA using tablet to choose passenger line

I was at LAX T2 last weekend. Before entering the security line, someone checked my boarding card.

Then part way down the line, another officer was using a tablet computer. She asked the size of our group (no other information wanted) then the tablet displayed an arrow on-screen which decided which way we were to go. We were directed upstairs where an agent scanned our boarding passes and we proceeded through security. The other direction remained downstairs and looked as though passengers were being put through an additional screening process before going to security upstairs.

Does anyone know what the purpose of the other line would have been. And also why they are using a tablet to choose the queue?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:48 pm

It's part of their "random unpredictable" security measures.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by BruceyBonus
And also why they are using a tablet to choose the queue?
I suspect because of some mandate to "randomly" choose passengers foor the two different queues. Humans are notoriously horrible at making random choices (gee, why do so many non-Whites get selected for "additional screening"?); the tablet presumably acts as a true random selection, outside of the control of the person operating the tablet.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
It's nothing more than an electronic randomizer with a little extra software to manage the number going to either line. Not all airports have them and even if they do have them they often don't use them at slow periods. The agent can also watch the lines and if one or the other starts to back up they can ignore the tablet and direct travelers as they see fit.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:48 pm

It's called "Managed Inclusion" and used to send passengers who are not Pre-check into either standard or expedited screening (Pre-check) lanes.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
It's nothing more than an electronic randomizer with a little extra software to manage the number going to either line. Not all airports have them and even if they do have them they often don't use them at slow periods. The agent can also watch the lines and if one or the other starts to back up they can ignore the tablet and direct travelers as they see fit.
I think it's just to prevent claims that TSA agents are being racist.

Can't really complain that the ipad app is being racist.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dasanmarco
I think it's just to prevent claims that TSA agents are being racist.

Can't really complain that the ipad app is being racist.
I was thinking more of the allegations of attractive women being sent to the nude-o-scopes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.