Wiki Posts
Search

"TSA Wants to Tweet With Travelers"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

"TSA Wants to Tweet With Travelers"

Propaganda Village expands? Or, is it a sneaky way for SPOTNiks to use Twitter to fill out a checklist on you? I've bolded some interesting stuff.

The Department of Homeland Security agency plans to set up a new Twitter account, @AskTSA, to respond directly to customer complaints and questions, according to a new solicitation.

<snip>

The notice comes a few days after travel website Travelmath released an analysis of Twitter users' sentiments toward TSA, using an algorithm to rank Twitter mentions in the United States as positive, negative or neutral. Among states that had enough TSA mentions to process, "nearly three times as many had a negative sentiment than a positive one," that report said. (Words such as “confiscate,” “grope” and “rude" were among words frequently mentioned in those tweets, according to Travelmath.)

Though TSA's solicitation is "for market research only," the agency is searching for small businesses who can provide a Web-based customer engagement platform that up to 10 TSA staffers can log onto concurrently, according to the posting on FedBizOpps.

The Web platform must have many functions, including a "robust content repository to store pre-approved content, canned responses and approved images," and an "interactive dashboard to engage in real time, one-to one conversations without ticket assignment," according to the solicitation
The solicitation contains a requirement to store and analyze your tweets:

-Provide archives and/or tracking/tagging of interaction/conversation history, topics and collaborative notes.

-Ability to assess, view and report metrics and trends.
The good news, of sorts, is that this is just a "sources sought" solicitation, so the TSA has not yet wasted taxpayer money on this except for the subscription costs for FedBizzOpps.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 5:35 am

Or maybe it's for reasons like this:

http://elliott.org/blog/scared-into-silence-by-the-tsa/

“I didn’t say anything to anyone from TSA because I know that is a no-win situation,” he said.

He didn’t know how true that was. A few minutes later, he blew off some steam into the Twitterverse with the following message:

Hey @TSA I had to pull laptop and liquids out of my bag at @PHL today. This is main reason I have pre-check. Thanks for the extra hassle!

And wouldn’t you know it, the TSA was watching.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Or maybe it's for reasons like this:

http://elliott.org/blog/scared-into-silence-by-the-tsa/
Meh. "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" is still a logical fallacy, no matter how much the author wishes it to be true.

As to the original solicitation ... if all the TSA Twitter account is going to do is regurgitate back pre-approved statements, it's going to be useless.

Unless, of course, the Twitterverse decides to make the TSA Twitter account a target of scorn and mockery, in which case the results might be amusing. But, nah, that never happens on Twitter ...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Yeah, I can just see me asking a TSO to tweet TSA HQ to get a definitive answer on whether or not nitro pills are allowed.

HQ will tweet back the same reply that's on the website, which is about liquids, not pills.

The TSO will see that, scratch his/her head, and point out that my pills aren't allowed because they are not liquids.

Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Meh. "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" is still a logical fallacy, no matter how much the author wishes it to be true.

As to the original solicitation ... if all the TSA Twitter account is going to do is regurgitate back pre-approved statements, it's going to be useless.

Unless, of course, the Twitterverse decides to make the TSA Twitter account a target of scorn and mockery, in which case the results might be amusing. But, nah, that never happens on Twitter ...

Regurgitating pre-approved statements is pretty much what the TSA Blog is doing so why expand an already useless operation?

I wonder if TSA would keep this in house or farm it out to contractors like they did the complaint process?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I wonder if TSA would keep this in house or farm it out to contractors like they did the complaint process?
Much depends on what TSA's intent really is, which may be hard to understand from the article (or the actual call for proposals, which I didn't read).

If all this is is a public relations stunt, then TSA could just as easily farm it out to contractors who will have no real knowledge or authority.

On the other hand, if TSA wants to model this service after the airlines, who actually intervene in real-time on behalf of passengers, then this would probably have to be run in-house.

Last edited by jkhuggins; Jun 26, 2015 at 10:28 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 26, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Regurgitating pre-approved statements is pretty much what the TSA Blog is doing so why expand an already useless operation?

What they should do is replace the voodoo SPOTnick program with this Twitter thing. It would be much cheaper, and TSA wouldn't have to count on "microexpressions" to determine what the passengers are really thinking...

...but that would make too much sense...<sigh>...
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
What they should do is replace the voodoo SPOTnick program with this Twitter thing. It would be much cheaper, and TSA wouldn't have to count on "microexpressions" to determine what the passengers are really thinking...

...but that would make too much sense...<sigh>...
Better yet just shutdown TSA.

There is no reason that government should be involved in the direct security operations of private business.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I think it will just be another way to communicate nonsense and funnel complaints, questions and suggestions to the same black hole as the blog responses and current complaint process.

HQ prefers to focus on frills while avoiding the serious issues.

Last edited by chollie; Jun 26, 2015 at 7:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.