Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Widespread TSA Failures in Latest DHS Tests

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status

The stat that stuck out to me is that 95% of the testers were able to get mock explosives and banned weapons through. Not that it surprises me. Further in the article, the former TSA Administrator Pistole blamed previous results on the Red Teams knew how to exploit weaknesses (talking about previous test, not this latest round of tests).

http://abcnews.go.com/ABCNews/exclus...ry?id=31434881
Old Jun 1, 2015, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
TSA Administrator Pistole blamed previous results on the Red Teams knew how to exploit weaknesses
Um… isn't that the whole point of a red team?

If your system is not secure against someone who knows how it works, it's not secure.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now we know the 75% failure rate is no longer valid. Must be hard to get worse at ones job.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 8:51 am

Those red team tests are really tricky. It's a good thing terrorists don't know how to tape bombs to their backs.

In one test an undercover agent was stopped after setting off an alarm at a magnetometer, but TSA screeners failed to detect a fake explosive device that was taped to his back during a follow-on pat down.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by spd476
Those red team tests are really tricky. It's a good thing terrorists don't know how to tape bombs to their backs.

I blame poor training (and assorted reasons why some people delight in putting their hands on unwilling victims). TSOs have been taught to focus on breasts, breasts, crotches, breasts, buttocks, African-American hair, breasts, crotches.

All that groping of privates and now you tell us something might be on someone's back?

It's not fair. It's like a teacher asking a question on a test that wasn't covered in class!
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by saizai
Um… isn't that the whole point of a red team?

If your system is not secure against someone who knows how it works, it's not secure.
+1

A responsible administrator would have recognized the opportunity to review and update training that is clearly lacking - and would have reminded his FSDs that yes, TSA really does have a mission, to look for a needle in a haystack as well as to look for expensive perfume bottles, two-inch sock monkey guns and cupcakes.

Aren't they PAID to be constantly vigilant and alert to new threats?

Or are they still chasing the elusive crotch bomb, buttocks blaster or bra machine gun?

I wonder if the rising failure rate could have anything to do with the rising number of checkpoint TSOs actively involved with their cellphones while on the job. Perhaps some enterprising TSO will develop a 'Red Team Alert' app to clue fellow TSOs in that it's time to put the cellphone down and look for a real threat, not personal gratifcation.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:32 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
So what many of us already knew is now public information but a show of hands-how many think anything will actually be done to rectify the problem?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by goalie
So what many of us already knew is now public information but a show of hands-how many think anything will actually be done to rectify the problem?
The 'leaker' will be found and force to undergo 'enhanced screening' for 40 continuous hours.

Seriously, I think TSA will try to clamp down on the release of this information. They'll find a way to massage the numbers or....they'll 'dumb down' the test and start hiding large and obvious perfume bottles or nitro pills or sock monkey weapons between their buttock cheeks or breasts or in their crotch or their 'big' African-American hair. Screeners will be given multiple opportunities to pass, checkpoints will be given advance warning and TSO cellphone use will be prohibited at checkpoints being tested.

You know, so the fantasy threat scenarios match up to the shen
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by chollie
The 'leaker' will be found and force to undergo 'enhanced screening' for 40 continuous hours.

Seriously, I think TSA will try to clamp down on the release of this information. They'll find a way to massage the numbers or....they'll 'dumb down' the test and start hiding large and obvious perfume bottles or nitro pills or sock monkey weapons between their buttock cheeks or breasts or in their crotch or their 'big' African-American hair. Screeners will be given multiple opportunities to pass, checkpoints will be given advance warning and TSO cellphone use will be prohibited at checkpoints being tested.

You know, so the fantasy threat scenarios match up to the shen
Unfortunately, I don't think it's numbers that will be "massaged" rather they will find more reason to "massage" more passengers more thoroughly.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
95% failure rate. So for every gun, knife, or bomb TSA finds, it misses 19. Does anyone else find some irony in the number 19?

Let's see what Bob's response will be. I'm thinking that it may be something like, "But there were only 60 failures, out of several million people who flew on the days those tests took place, so 60 out of several million is actually a HUGE success rate!"

I'd really, really like to know what the failure rate is with innocuous prohibited items like bottles of water and snow globes. It's long been postulated on FT that one of the reasons for such a high failure rate in the Red Team tests is that TSOs are expending so much of their limited attention looking for those innocuous prohibited items that they literally forget sometimes to look for the truly dangerous ones - like pairs of 2.5lb blocks of unhidden, undisguised plastic explosive in government wrappers labeled "C4 HIGH EXPLOSIVE" in big capital letters.

I think about these things sometimes. They make me go, "Hmmm..."
Old Jun 1, 2015, 10:57 am

Also FWIW: only 70 tests over some unspecified (probably multi-year) time period?

Something like this ought to be getting tested at least once a week (on average — in a random distribution, of course) in every airport. That's what big companies do for secret shoppers. If TSA's supposed to be on their game all the time with such supposedly huge risks, surely they should be kept to a higher standard than whether some fast food branch is friendly?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
Also FWIW: only 70 tests over some unspecified (probably multi-year) time period?

Something like this ought to be getting tested at least once a week (on average — in a random distribution, of course) in every airport. That's what big companies do for secret shoppers. If TSA's supposed to be on their game all the time with such supposedly huge risks, surely they should be kept to a higher standard than whether some fast food branch is friendly?
I think TSA is more interested in doing things that look like security but really add very little to the overall process.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spd476

Quote:

In one test an undercover agent was stopped after setting off an alarm at a magnetometer, but TSA screeners failed to detect a fake explosive device that was taped to his back during a follow-on pat down.

This would imply that this Red Team guy went through the ExtortionCheck line because he set off the metal detector If Mel wanted to kill E-Check, he just had an excuse drop in his lap.

Last edited by FliesWay2Much; Jun 1, 2015 at 1:58 pm
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Fox picked it up as well:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...a-checkpoints/

I gotta say though, after coming off a long LHR-CLT flight and finding my onward segment couldn't get pre-check to work, the TSA massage was actually quite relaxing.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
I know the solution!

Clearly, the solution will be for more people to sign up for PreCheck. If all of us forked over our $85 to sign up for this, all of TSA's problems will be solved! We all know that throwing more money at a problem is the universal solution.

I am sure that everyone in this forum can fail at our jobs 96% of the time, and we can keep our jobs for life.

Disgusting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.