Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Support "Securing Expedited Screening Act"

Old May 22, 2015, 11:02 am
Original Poster

I was precheck. It took 10 minutes for me to get from the back of the Precheck line to retrieving my items from the x-ray screening.

In front of me, in the Precheck lane were maybe 10 individuals. There were about 50 to 60 individuals in what I was told was the managed inclusion lane.

There was only 1 ticket checker. And to top it off, there was ONLY 1 x-ray being used. So what should have been a 2minute moving wait, turned into a 10minute sometime stagnant process, packed full with individuals who did not understand how to expedite themselves.

And now to the "Securing Expedited Screening Act" HR 2127, it is a bill ,sponsored by several members of Congress, that would return Precheck to its intended purpose and intended clientele - those who have submitted themselves to a background check.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I oppose this proposed bill because it doesn't solve the mess at airport screening checkpoints.

I support PreCheck LLL type screening being the default norm for passengers in the main, as that would fix things for me and make things far more predictable during the course of my travels.

People wanting a PreCheck LLL type screening and being given expedited access to get airside should be supported by the airlines by ..... "premium passenger" lines supported and funded by airlines. That would improve my experiences at the screening checkpoint too.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There are about 20 bills dealing with various aspects of checkpoints, TSA and security every year. All pander to some bunch of constituents. None of them have ever gone anywhere. So, why do Members keep filing this stuff?

Because it makes people think that they are fighting for them. Sort of like calling a FFP a "loyalty" program.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pre-Check type screening should be the standard level of screening for all.

No one should have to remove shoes, belts, jackets, or anything else. WTMD's should be the base screening device as almost all weapons are of a metallic nature.

We don't need bills to segregate certain segments of the population into special screening groups.

We need to take control of the idiocy being displayed by TSA.

Old May 22, 2015, 12:30 pm

Location: Northern California, in the redwoods, on the ocean.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Pre-Check type screening should be the standard level of screening for all.

No one should have to remove shoes, belts, jackets, or anything else. WTMD's should be the base screening device as almost all weapons are of a metallic nature.

We don't need bills to segregate certain segments of the population into special screening groups.

Hear-hear! ^^^^^
Old May 23, 2015, 12:01 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
I was precheck. It took 10 minutes for me to get from the back of the Precheck line to retrieving my items from the x-ray screening.

In front of me, in the Precheck lane were maybe 10 individuals. There were about 50 to 60 individuals in what I was told was the managed inclusion lane.

There was only 1 ticket checker. And to top it off, there was ONLY 1 x-ray being used. So what should have been a 2minute moving wait, turned into a 10minute sometime stagnant process, packed full with individuals who did not understand how to expedite themselves.

And now to the "Securing Expedited Screening Act" HR 2127, it is a bill ,sponsored by several members of Congress, that would return Precheck to its intended purpose and intended clientele - those who have submitted themselves to a background check.
Why do you assume that this bill, one like it, or precheck "as intended" will do anything useful?

There is only one thing that will fix the issues of US airport screening.
A return to pre 9/11 screening and the disbandment of TSA.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Pre-Check type screening should be the standard level of screening for all. ...

This. x 10000000.
Originally Posted by Himeno
There is only one thing that will fix the issues of US airport screening.
A return to pre 9/11 screening and the disbandment of TSA.
Also this.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta, United
Ginger, yer not going to like the letter that I am writing to my congressional dewbs as well as the sponsors of this specious legislation.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Himeno
There is only one thing that will fix the issues of US airport screening. A return to pre 9/11 screening and the disbandment of TSA.
I can go with not needing TSA and pre 9/11 screening but it's got to be better run than it was pre 9/11. I lived about 7 miles from Dulles International and flew out of there extensively. The security was a joke and a hassle as bad if not worse than any TSA experience I've been through. ESL was more like English as a Third/Fourth/Totally Unknown Language. Rudness was the number one skill requirement.
Old May 23, 2015, 5:19 pm

"There is only one thing that will fix the issues of US airport screening.
A return to pre 9/11 screening and the disbandment of TSA."

Hey, don't be so gloomy and unpatriotic. They've already apprehended 0 terrorists.
And the number is expected to grow.
Old May 24, 2015, 1:31 am

Programs: QFF
Originally Posted by yandosan
"There is only one thing that will fix the issues of US airport screening.
A return to pre 9/11 screening and the disbandment of TSA."

Hey, don't be so gloomy and unpatriotic. They've already apprehended 0 terrorists.
And the number is expected to grow.
They'll apprehended a negative terrorist?
Old May 24, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Richard Reid
Umar Farouk
Old May 24, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Richard Reid
Umar Farouk

Ok, two guys who boarded their flights outside the U.S., one of which may have been help by U.S. intelligence assets.

On top of that there are about 1.8 million people who fly daily and there has not been a single terrorist attempt, that I am aware of, against a U.S. originating flight since 9/11. I also think it is important to remember that the goal of 9/11 was not just about taking down airplanes but taking out landmark buildings, the World Trade Centers, Pentagon, and target unknown but thought to be the White House.

So how did 9/11happen? Lax standards on what could be taken on board is partially a cause. Of course that was the FAA who set those standards. The bigger enabling factor in my opinion was the lax immigration controls in place that allowed the terrorist to enter the country and in some cases over-stay their visa's. Another government agency that failed in its mission and a Congress that fails in its oversight duties even today.

The MMW Whole Body Scanner is a badly flawed device. On a recent trip through security I observed that 100% of passengers were alarming the Whole Body Scanner requiring some form of pat down. And for what gain?

Now as far as Pre Check I think that background checks offer little in predicting future behavior and screening by WTMD would offer a very satisfactory level of security as it would for anyone going through security.

Pre Check is an unneeded distraction created by TSA to silence some travelers. I would be more supportive of an effort to reform TSA and TSA's general abuse of the flying public.

I certainly do not support this bill and will advise my electeds of my position.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 24, 2015 at 4:29 pm
Old May 24, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I'd be completely opposed to this bill. I'd only support something that returned everything to pre-9/11 security. Run everybody through a metal detector, use an x-ray on carry on luggage to make sure nobody is bringing on guns or a bomb, and use an x-ray/bomb sniffing tech/dogs to make sure nobody is trying to put a bomb in the cargo hold. Reinforced cockpit doors and changes to the mindset of passengers and crew mean another 9/11 will never happen on a passenger flight. It is time to end the theater and spend our time and money on better things.

But thanks OP for bringing this to my attention so I can make sure to let my representatives know they should oppose it!
Old May 24, 2015, 3:55 pm

Richard Reid
Umar Farouk
Ah, the guys stopped by passengers, not by any airport security agencies or intelligence agencies.

Care to cite any evidence that PreCheck and AIT are effective? If you can't offer that, you can't claim that PreCheck or AIT would have stopped Reid and Farouk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.