Wiki Posts
Search

Hundreds OF Airport SIDA Badges Missing

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hundreds OF Airport SIDA Badges Missing

A news report on the DFW area NBC station reveals that lost DISA badges continue to be an ongoing problem.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations...304485391.html

New information to an ongoing NBC 5 investigation found hundreds of airport security badges, known as Secure Identification Display Area (SIDA) badges, are unaccounted for across the country.
Particulary disturbing is TSA's effort to hide this information from the public by calling this problem Security Sensitive.

Before NBC 5 Investigates could get information from other large airports, like Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, and others, The Transportation Security Administration declined to provide numbers from other airports across the country saying the information is presents a security concern.
I agree that lost or missing SIDA badges presents a security concern. But that concern is that TSA is once again not in control of airport security.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A while back, I found one from DCA on the ground while running on the bike path along the George Washington Parkway. I ran with it over to DCA and tried to give it to the airport cops. He eventually took it from me but the whole thing was a major inconvenience for him.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Must be sweeps week

Again, this is being overblown and not presented in meaningful context. (see earlier thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...rport-ids.html)

The more important questions are:
- how many badges were missing that they didn't know were missing?
- were any/how many missing badges used in attempts to enter the SIDA?
- how many people with SIDA access have been disciplined for badge problems (and what is the trend)?

I am not arguing its not a problem - just that it is not as important a problem as those fine advertising folks from that NBC affiliate would like to terrorize you into thinking it is.

Also, airport operators are responsible for the security of the SIDA - not the TSA or FAA or some of the other entities who issue regulations, rules, and policies relevant to airport security.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Section 107
Again, this is being overblown and not presented in meaningful context. (see earlier thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...rport-ids.html)

- how many people with SIDA access have been disciplined for badge problems (and what is the trend)?

I am not arguing its not a problem - just that it is not as important a problem as those fine advertising folks from that NBC affiliate would like to terrorize you into thinking it is.

Also, airport operators are responsible for the security of the SIDA - not the TSA or FAA or some of the other entities who issue regulations, rules, and policies relevant to airport security.
Some of us think it is important that SIDA badges can go missing for weeks or months and not be reported lost/missing. Seems some members of Congress thinks it important too.

Part of an answer to one of your questions is this:

Working in partnership with the NBC station in San Diego, NBC 5 Investigates found more than 270 SIDA badges missing at the San Diego International Airport in the last two years.

and

Earlier this year, NBC 5 Investigates revealed more than 1,400 badges were lost or stolen at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport over approximately two years.
In some cases those badges were not reported missing for weeks or even months,
so missing badges were not deactivated. Employees are supposed to notify airport authorities within 24 hours of losing a badge.
My first question is how does an employee with a lost SIDA badge get into the secure area of the airports?

TSA is overall reposnsible.

Mission

Protect the Nation's transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce.
TSA may not be issuing SIDA badges but they do approve the airports security plan and are responsible for the overall security posture of the airport.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:33 am

Location: Loud, dark, warm, lots of ethernet cables, and in some rack space.
Programs: AA:EXP
At first I thought this would be an overblown story by the media, but considering the badges were not reported for weeks or even months undermines the whole point of the badge system technology being put in place. To be able to control access and revoke badges if lost/stolen.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:00 am

Programs: TSA

One problem getting any information on this is the SSI/PII regs that only allow certain info to be distributed. Anything with PII attached to it, that is not associated with a crime can't be released due to privacy regs/laws/policies. The numbers should be somewhat easier, but no entity responsible for this type of operation wants to publicize how many badges they are not necessarily in control of. There is also the factor that some of the badges are not reported until a later (in some cases, much later) date - eliminating the ability of the company to effectively address the issue. IMHO, if the individual does not suck it up and report a missing badge immediately, then their access should be revoked, immediately, and further steps should be taken in the terms of punitive action. Some of the items are simply record keeping errors as well, so there is a whole series of challenges that have an impact on the way this system works.
Old May 25, 2015, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gsoltso
One problem getting any information on this is the SSI/PII regs that only allow certain info to be distributed. Anything with PII attached to it, that is not associated with a crime can't be released due to privacy regs/laws/policies. The numbers should be somewhat easier, but no entity responsible for this type of operation wants to publicize how many badges they are not necessarily in control of. There is also the factor that some of the badges are not reported until a later (in some cases, much later) date - eliminating the ability of the company to effectively address the issue. IMHO, if the individual does not suck it up and report a missing badge immediately, then their access should be revoked, immediately, and further steps should be taken in the terms of punitive action. Some of the items are simply record keeping errors as well, so there is a whole series of challenges that have an impact on the way this system works.
If a person has lost their SIDA credential how are they able to access the secure areas of their workplace?

I think TSA's excessive secrecy is done to hide its object failure in security matters from the public and represents a security concern in its own right.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This story made it to Fox News this evening (5/26). Apparently it's a lot bigger than just unreported missing SIDA badges across the country but the failure of TSA to implement proper controls to audit this program as required which again demonstrates the incompetecy of the agency.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If a person has lost their SIDA credential how are they able to access the secure areas of their workplace?

I think TSA's excessive secrecy is done to hide its object failure in security matters from the public and represents a security concern in its own right.
I have no answer for that. Here and at LAX and even at PHX, the secured areas I went into were on camera, required a badge and bio/code entry for access. I have no idea how one would gain said access without seeing the actual area in question.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have no answer for that. Here and at LAX and even at PHX, the secured areas I went into were on camera, required a badge and bio/code entry for access. I have no idea how one would gain said access without seeing the actual area in question.
I didn't really expect you to have an answer and it seems neither does TSA HQ and that is a problem, a big problem.

The answer to the question, to me, are that there are only two likely probabilities.

The employee no longer reports to work

or

The employee is gaining access without complying with the stated security standards.

There are issues with either possibility.

What is amazing is that looking at almost any area of TSA program management TSA fails in its oversight responsibilities yet the public is still being forced to fund TSA's $8,000,000,000.00 dollar annual budget.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 27, 2015 at 11:50 am Reason: corrected 8 mil to 8 bil.
Old May 27, 2015, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Simple: piggybacking. Happens all the time.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
yet the public is still being forced to fund TSA's $8,000,000.00 dollar annual budget.[/QUOTE]

all in all they do a remarkably good job with only eight million dollars....
Old May 27, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

yet the public is still being forced to fund TSA's $8,000,000.00 dollar annual budget.
all in all they do a remarkably good job with only eight million dollars.... [/QUOTE]

Ok, ya got me. Little slip of the zeds.
Old May 28, 2015, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I didn't really expect you to have an answer and it seems neither does TSA HQ and that is a problem, a big problem.

The answer to the question, to me, are that there are only two likely probabilities.

The employee no longer reports to work

or

The employee is gaining access without complying with the stated security standards.

There are issues with either possibility.

What is amazing is that looking at almost any area of TSA program management TSA fails in its oversight responsibilities yet the public is still being forced to fund TSA's $8,000,000,000.00 dollar annual budget.
Both of the situations you indicate above are possible. No system is 100% effective, and TSA is not currently mandated with 100% screening of all employees and all access doors/gates. Most airports have local plans that provide for that access control - although there is currently some pending legislation (I think it is still pending, I have not seen anything on it ove rthe last few days) to make TSA screen all employees and access areas. I do not foresee that passing in the current climate, because it would require at the very least a pretty serious reallocation of resources and equipment coupled with the complete revamp of how employees access their work areas. Larger airports would have to setup checkpoints at access gates at several different locations (such as the access gates for the food trucks/fuel trucks/delivery trucks, etc. It would also require any of the folks working on the airside whether they are maintenance/admin/engineering even military). It would be a fairly large undertaking even though it sounds fairly simple on the face of it.

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
Simple: piggybacking. Happens all the time.
Entirely possible, although illegal/against regulations.

yet the public is still being forced to fund TSA's $8,000,000.00 dollar annual budget.
Wow, we suffered larger than expected budget cuts this year?

all in all they do a remarkably good job with only eight million dollars.... [/QUOTE]

Hah!
Old May 28, 2015, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Both of the situations you indicate above are possible. No system is 100% effective, and TSA is not currently mandated with 100% screening of all employees and all access doors/gates. Most airports have local plans that provide for that access control - although there is currently some pending legislation (I think it is still pending, I have not seen anything on it ove rthe last few days) to make TSA screen all employees and access areas. I do not foresee that passing in the current climate, because it would require at the very least a pretty serious reallocation of resources and equipment coupled with the complete revamp of how employees access their work areas. Larger airports would have to setup checkpoints at access gates at several different locations (such as the access gates for the food trucks/fuel trucks/delivery trucks, etc. It would also require any of the folks working on the airside whether they are maintenance/admin/engineering even military). It would be a fairly large undertaking even though it sounds fairly simple on the face of it.

Entirely possible, although illegal/against regulations.

Wow, we suffered larger than expected budget cuts this year?

all in all they do a remarkably good job with only eight million dollars....

Hah!
Doesn't TSA create the regs on who, how, and what is screened? If TSA wanted to screen airport workers all need be done is write a new regulation.

Piggybacking may be illegal so I guess that should not be a concern as nothing illegal ever happens in airports.

If TSA's budget was only $8 million annually that would still be $8 million dollars to much.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 28, 2015 at 11:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.