Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WSB-TV: ATL TSA agent arrested, charged with faking cancer for 5 years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags

Yet another new low:

WSB-TV, Atlanta Channel 2:
TSA agent arrested, charged with faking cancer for 5 years

Posted: 11:37 p.m. Tuesday, April 28, 2015

An excerpt:
ATLANTA — Federal agents arrested a local TSA agent accused of faking cancer for five years to get out of work. Since 2009 investigators say security Officer Marc Bess told his bosses at the Transportation Security Administration that he was very sick with cancer, abdominal lymphoma in fact. Investigators say he forged notes from a physician detailing radiation, surgery and ongoing treatment that he needed to undergo. The trouble is investigators say it was all made up.
and
According to a criminal information document filed by the U.S Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia, Bess wrote fake doctors notes and the TSA caught on after discovering the doctor who he signed off as was dead....... Court records show that investigators believe he took 2,240 hours in sick leave. That’s about 280 sick days if you work an eight-hour work day over a five year time period......Court records show that the majority of the paid leave time was transferred to Bess by other employees as part of a “Voluntary Leave Transfer Program” that the TSA offers.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Wow! Wow! How it did happen? He didn't show up at work. He never calls at work. He will be fired. He won't be working at airport anymore. He lied to TSA.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: UAL IK;Marriott Plat Elite;Hyatt Diamond;Hilton Gold;Hertz Presidents Circle
But, but, but.... He had a background check!!! Surely, he would not lie!!!!!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: TSA
I am glad this one was found out and is being prosecuted. We have coworkers that are experiencing true medical emergencies, family members that are experiencing medical emergencies requiring assistance from the employee and we have someone gaming the system like this? After having to watch coworkers suffer through periods of no pay in order to accomodate those needs, I say prosecute to the fullest extent and good riddance.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by gsoltso
I am glad this one was found out and is being prosecuted. We have coworkers that are experiencing true medical emergencies, family members that are experiencing medical emergencies requiring assistance from the employee and we have someone gaming the system like this? After having to watch coworkers suffer through periods of no pay in order to accomodate those needs, I say prosecute to the fullest extent and good riddance.
Is getting paid for having a fake illness really any different than getting paid for using fake science like your "behavior detection" nonsense? Ooh! Someone's yawning at the checkpoint! You better go rub their genitals!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pontifex
Is getting paid for having a fake illness really any different than getting paid for using fake science like your "behavior detection" nonsense? Ooh! Someone's yawning at the checkpoint! You better go rub their genitals!
Yes -- the SPOTNiks get to retire someday and draw a pension and get health insurance for life -- on our nickels, of course.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsoltso
This is where you voice your displeasure about a TSA co-worker but not in the Denver TSA Sexual Assault thread?

This guy was pulling his scam over a 5 year period using about 280 sick days and not once did a TSA BDO sense and report something amiss?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
This is where you voice your displeasure about a TSA co-worker but not in the Denver TSA Sexual Assault thread?

This guy was pulling his scam over a 5 year period using about 280 sick days and not once did a TSA BDO sense and report something amiss?
Oh, for crying out loud ...

The BDO program is aimed at passengers, not TSOs. It is aimed at detecting deception among passengers, not deception among TSOs.

For all the times here that people yell about TSA spending its time looking for things that are outside of its jurisdiction (e.g. drugs, human trafficking), why do we want to yell at TSA about a program not detecting something THAT IT WASN'T DESIGNED TO DETECT?

Look, I'm no fan of the BDO program. I'm certainly no fan of TSA's seeming inability to police its own ranks. But the two aren't related, and tying the two together only serves to confuse matters.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins

The BDO program is aimed at passengers, not TSOs. It is aimed at detecting deception among passengers, not deception among TSOs.

For all the times here that people yell about TSA spending its time looking for things that are outside of its jurisdiction (e.g. drugs, human trafficking), why do we want to yell at TSA about a program not detecting something THAT IT WASN'T DESIGNED TO DETECT?

Look, I'm no fan of the BDO program. I'm certainly no fan of TSA's seeming inability to police its own ranks. But the two aren't related, and tying the two together only serves to confuse matters.
You suggest that a highly trained TSA BDO can just switch off their BDO skills when observing certain groups of people?

I find that concept less than plausible.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond

Are you making a joke? If the techniques work, they work. The techniques are supposed to detect deception, and if it worked, it would work in this case. You're saying a motion detector won't detect elephants because it was designed to detect mice.

The point being made is, BDC techniques don't work. And don't tell me the BDCs don't pay attention to their fellow clerks in the belief that their fellow clerks are honest. If the BDC techniques worked. there would be constant, accurate hits on clerks, and the few TSA managers who are honest could use the information they gained to clean up the workforce.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You suggest that a highly trained TSA BDO can just switch off their BDO skills when observing certain groups of people?

I find that concept less than plausible.
That's right. I've got a copy of the checklist and I use it all the time. Whenever I see someone striking a careless pose and whistling a happy tune, I call 911.

Same thing when I see someone shaking his leg all about, especially if he then does the Hokey Pokey and turns himself around!

Once you learn these skills, they stay with you forever! And you use them constantly. To do otherwise is to place your nation in peril!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
That's right. I've got a copy of the checklist and I use it all the time. Whenever I see someone striking a careless pose and whistling a happy tune, I call 911.

Same thing when I see someone shaking his leg all about, especially if he then does the Hokey Pokey and turns himself around!

Once you learn these skills, they stay with you forever! And you use them constantly. To do otherwise is to place your nation in peril!
All of those are ok as long as they aren't freshly shaved and looking all about.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
If the BDC techniques worked. there would be constant, accurate hits on clerks, and the few TSA managers who are honest could use the information they gained to clean up the workforce.
Only if the techniques were used on TSOs themselves. And it's apparent that they're not.

It's clear that TSA does not consider its own employees to be serious threats to security. When we ask why TSOs aren't physically screened themselves when they enter a checkpoint, we've been told numerous times by (*cough*) certain TSOs here that TSOs are trusted and don't need to be screened. If TSA won't even take that simple step, there's no reason to believe that TSA will apply more "complicated" techniques like behavior detection to its own workforce.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
With 42 years of Federal civil service, 30 of that as a supervisor of anywhere from 6 to 150 personnel, this is not the first abuse of sick leave case I've seen. I will say this is extreme, maybe the worse I've heard of, and I have to wonder where was this employee's management/supervisor? Shouldn't and doesn't matter if it's TSA, DoD, Agriculture, or whatever Federal agency. All Federal agencies run under at least minimum OPM guidance, policy, and procedures. This is a basic personnel management issue and a gross failure.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:29 am

Only if the techniques were used on TSOs themselves. And it's apparent that they're not.

It's clear that TSA does not consider its own employees to be serious threats to security. When we ask why TSOs aren't physically screened themselves when they enter a checkpoint, we've been told numerous times by (*cough*) certain TSOs here that TSOs are trusted and don't need to be screened. If TSA won't even take that simple step, there's no reason to believe that TSA will apply more "complicated" techniques like behavior detection to its own workforce.
Whether it is an official policy or not has nothing to do with anything. If the techniques worked, or if anybody at the TSA thought they worked, individual BDCs would be constantly using the techniques on other clerks. All you have to do is look at behavior and compare it to the checklist, and if the techniques worked, this clerk's deception would have been found out in short order.

The fact that BDC techniques weren't effectively used in this case proves they don't work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.