Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

WSB-TV: ATL TSA agent arrested, charged with faking cancer for 5 years

WSB-TV: ATL TSA agent arrested, charged with faking cancer for 5 years

Old May 18, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by chollie
Unfortunately, standing up for one's non-existent right to fly calls for saints with deep pockets (ask Phil Mocek) and a much stronger heart than I have.

This is the problem with a closed, secretive system like this: there is no way for me to 'clear' my name. There is a report on record that I have been warned about trying to 'artfully conceal' medical nitro to get it through the checkpoint. It's like a false hit on your credit report: there's no easy way to clear it - and that's how the system is designed.

I just think other people need to be aware of the potential risk. I have no reason to believe that those who took my pills are not still employed (possibly even promoted by now) and still confiscating nitro pills.
Have you ever considered the fact that this "report" that was allegedly filed against you was nothing but pure intimidation and doesn't really exist? That's where I'd put my money. The TSA cannot watch list you for carrying needed medication. End of story.

I had not read Boggie Dog's comments to you that fall along the same lines as my thinking before I posted this. I don't want to come across as being unsympathetic, but you allowed the TSA to intimidate you and it has work spectacularly.

Last edited by petaluma1; May 18, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old May 18, 2015, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately, standing up for one's non-existent right to fly calls for saints with deep pockets (ask Phil Mocek) and a much stronger heart than I have.

This is the problem with a closed, secretive system like this: there is no way for me to 'clear' my name. There is a report on record that I have been warned about trying to 'artfully conceal' medical nitro to get it through the checkpoint. It's like a false hit on your credit report: there's no easy way to clear it - and that's how the system is designed.

I just think other people need to be aware of the potential risk. I have no reason to believe that those who took my pills are not still employed (possibly even promoted by now) and still confiscating nitro pills.

You can do a FOIA for that report and I'm betting that there isn't one. FOIA can be done for little or nothing.

Agree, those people probably are still employed because you didn't do anything to draw attention to them.

You have an absolute right to travel but if you give that right away the only person to blame is the one you see looking back at you in a mirror.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; May 18, 2015 at 4:25 pm
Old May 18, 2015, 3:22 pm

I would also suggest to Chollie putting meds into a daily/weekly pill dispenser and send them through the x-ray. TSA doesn't have PDR's at checkpoints and won't have a clue as to what they are.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
I would also suggest to Chollie putting meds into a daily/weekly pill dispenser and send them through the x-ray. TSA doesn't have PDR's at checkpoints and won't have a clue as to what they are.
Not good for Nitro pills. Nitro is not stable and will evaporate if not stored properly. That's why they are dispensed in small glass vials.
Old May 18, 2015, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Not good for Nitro pills. Nitro is not stable and will evaporate if not stored properly. That's why they are dispensed in small glass vials.
Thank you. I did not know that. However, here are solutions:

http://carex.com/item/70020/Nitro-Now/#.VVpnsUZJc_Y

https://pillboxes.groupmedicalsupply...s#.VVpo20ZJc_Y
Old May 18, 2015, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Ha! The second one looks like something Lucrezia Borgia might have used!

I wouldn't do it with nitro pills. If they alarmed during a bag swab, I'd be guilty of 'artful concealment'. My prescription already comes in a bottle about the same size as in your two links, enclosed inside a regular pill bottle.
Old May 18, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gsoltso
I am sorry, I thought that the big green bar across the top of the page you link to would be noticeable. It has the picture of the carry-on bag and the checked bag (which according to the legend of the system means it is allowed in carry-on or checked bags). That green bar indicates that the named item searched for is allowed.
West, I don't know if youre missing it or if you're being deliberately obtuse, but if you actually look you'll see that ther is no green bar that says nitro pills are permitted. When you search for nitro pils, you get the green bar that explains the liquids, gels, and aerosols policy - but it does NOT say that nitro pills are permitted.

On the blog, you bill yourself as part of the "TSA Blog team". If this is an official position, and not just a joke, then you must have some direct communication with HQ and can start sending reminders - daily, if need be - that the web site needs to be updated.

If it's not an official position, and your only contact with HQ is through the blog itself, I suggest you remove that line from your signature, as it implies a level of officialdom and authority that doesnt exist.
Old May 18, 2015, 6:08 pm

Ha! The second one looks like something Lucrezia Borgia might have used!

I wouldn't do it with nitro pills. If they alarmed during a bag swab, I'd be guilty of 'artful concealment'. My prescription already comes in a bottle about the same size as in your two links, enclosed inside a regular pill bottle.
It's a freakin' pill bottle!!!! Would you be charged with artful concealment if you had a 7-day pill box? I think you are making mountains out of molehills with the TSA and, truthfully, I feel sorry for you that you are so cowed by these people that you are putting your health and, in fact, life in jeopardy.
Old May 18, 2015, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by petaluma1
It's a freakin' pill bottle!!!! Would you be charged with artful concealment if you had a 7-day pill box? I think you are making mountains out of molehills with the TSA and, truthfully, I feel sorry for you that you are so cowed by these people that you are putting your health and, in fact, life in jeopardy.
I'm kidding about a serious (to me, anyway) matter!

Given the way my clearly-labelled pills were treated, I can't imagine trying to explain that I removed them from their labelled container to try to not call attention to them. That sounds suspicious even to me, and I'm not suspicious by nature.
Old May 19, 2015, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It was not one random screener, multiple levels of TSA employees were involved, and all agreed that the pills constituted a hazardous substance - you know, the kind mentioned on the page I have to click past to print my boarding pass.
The real issue is the TSA culture of self-support vs. travelers and common sense. Supervisrs back-up their underlings except on the most rare occasions -- regardless of the idiocy of what the underlings are saying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.