Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:43 am

I've seen them pushing the cart around. I've just been lucky to evade them. I think it really depends on the airport.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by Mats
I've seen them pushing the cart around. I've just been lucky to evade them. I think it really depends on the airport.
I thought it was just their cardio???
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Gate checks are like herpes. They aren't around often, but pop up when you least want them to.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by BSBD
saw TSA personnel pushing the gate check cart through the terminal at ORD just a couple of weeks ago
Saw this there yesterday. Based on my experience, it has declined in use significantly over the last year though.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:32 pm

What ever happened to 'beverage test strips?' in the gate area ? That was good for a laugh.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA MP
Just this past Sunday, saw them in Rome- pulled aside a bunch of random people from boarding group 1 and then just sat there.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by United_727
What ever happened to 'beverage test strips?' in the gate area ? That was good for a laugh.
The one time I ran into that at a gate I finished my beverage before they could test it. They were rather unhappy with me because f that.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Not TSA, but in Fiji last week all flights to Australia and the US had gate searches going on "because US regulations forbid all liquids on all flights." Cursory exam (which ignored all the liquids I had in my luggage) upon boarding my own flight about an hour later.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:53 am

The searches haven't changed for flights originating outside of the US. That includes any US carrier, even if the flight is between two points outside of the US. Some foreign carriers do it as well. It varies from random screening frisking and bag screening to bag inspection for everyone, questions for everyone... it depends on the security contractor hired by the airline.

Within the US, however, it seems to have subsided a bit. They're not so keen to frisk people in public at the gate anymore.

I do wonder if the airlines had any influence over flights departing from the USA. The gate searches are really disruptive and irritating. I distinctly recall losing my mind as I walked perhaps 4-5 meters from the end of the x-ray belt to the airplane entrance at O'Hare. I shot the TSA smurf a look, and she told me how she was "trying to keep everyone safe."
Old May 1, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mats
The searches haven't changed for flights originating outside of the US. That includes any US carrier, even if the flight is between two points outside of the US. Some foreign carriers do it as well. It varies from random screening frisking and bag screening to bag inspection for everyone, questions for everyone... it depends on the security contractor hired by the airline.

Within the US, however, it seems to have subsided a bit. They're not so keen to frisk people in public at the gate anymore.

I do wonder if the airlines had any influence over flights departing from the USA. The gate searches are really disruptive and irritating. I distinctly recall losing my mind as I walked perhaps 4-5 meters from the end of the x-ray belt to the airplane entrance at O'Hare. I shot the TSA smurf a look, and she told me how she was "trying to keep everyone safe."
Whatever you do, don't spread panic and cause a terminal dump by asking in panicked tones what dangerous items made it past the checkpoint or whether it is ever possible to rely on checkpoint screening. Do NOT insist that EVERYONE in the terminal be subjected to gate screening.
Old May 4, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
US 1920 CLT-BWI 5/4/2015 - had a full search of my briefcase and rollaboard at the gate. Took about 10 minutes and I was pretty ticked off because I was in FC and I had to put my rollaboard back in Y because the overheads were full due to the delay (I was the 4th person to board the plane).
Old May 6, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Whatever you do, don't spread panic and cause a terminal dump by asking in panicked tones what dangerous items made it past the checkpoint or whether it is ever possible to rely on checkpoint screening. Do NOT insist that EVERYONE in the terminal be subjected to gate screening.
Yup, that one didn't work out well for me at all.

Mike
Old May 6, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If a terrorist evaded primary screening what are the odds thst TSA would select the correct flight to gate check?
...or the odds that the terrorist would actually try and board a flight where a gate check was occurring?
Old May 6, 2015, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by bitburgr
...or the odds that the terrorist would actually try and board a flight where a gate check was occurring?
I would venture to guess that they would be much, much, much lower than the odds that a terrorist would actually target a commercial airline flight in the first place. <shrug>
Old May 7, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
I would venture to guess that they would be much, much, much lower than the odds that a terrorist would actually target a commercial airline flight in the first place. <shrug>
Your insistence on using Earth logic is anathema to everything that the TSA stands for. The beatings will continue.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.