Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FL Congressman introduces bill to "crack down" on TSA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FL Congressman introduces bill to "crack down" on TSA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
Originally Posted by Often1
This is yet one more useless thread... ...It apparently worked for OP !
Thanks for calling my thread useless. It's quite a statement coming from someone with more than 20,000 posts in less than five years.
This is newsworthy and many appreciate you posting it. The near certainty that the legislation will never go anywhere is a completely different topic. IMO, any attempt to discuss, debate, or communicate why nothing ever changes in this horrid agency is a good thing.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScatterX
This.

Not this.

TSA isn't tone deaf. Like most charlatans, they simply don't care.

The goal of the TSA isn't security or security effectiveness. They are building an empire. The public supports this fraud, waste, abuse, and more abuse---in large part---because of fear and ignorance.

TSA is one of the best at taking advantage of the larger efforts by the government to sell fear to the ignorant masses. Things only change when they are so bad that it might potential hurt the entire racket. And even then, TSA will try to get away with the appearance of doing something if they can.

Customer satisfaction, safety, legality, effectiveness, and the like have nothing to do with any of this.
Tone death or just don't care, is there really any difference to a passenger?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Depends on what you're discussing. If you're discussing how to get through a TSA checkpoint, then, no, it doesn't matter. If you're discussing how to get TSA (as an organization) to change, then, yes, it does matter.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by BSBD
Thanks for calling my thread useless. It's quite a statement coming from someone with more than 20,000 posts in less than five years.
I agree that this is newsworthy as well and appreciate the post. Don't let others dictate what you post
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Depends on what you're discussing. If you're discussing how to get through a TSA checkpoint, then, no, it doesn't matter. If you're discussing how to get TSA (as an organization) to change, then, yes, it does matter.
The difference escapes me.

In both situations TSA is demonstrating a disregard of the publics will. The closest example that comes to mind was the public objection to the viewing of revealing Whole Body Imager pictures. TSA refused to listen and the end result was congressional action mandating ATR upgrades or the removal of the systems.

Would have been interesting had ATR failed to work with MMW also.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:45 pm

The difference escapes me.

In both situations TSA is demonstrating a disregard of the publics will.
But the remedies are completely different.

If TSA is "merely" tone deaf, then the remedy is to teach TSA how to actually listen to the public which it serves. If TSA does want to "do the right thing" but is unaware of how to do so, then interacting with TSA might lead to reform.

If TSA doesn't care about public input, then interacting with TSA serves no useful purpose; reforming TSA will have to come from the outside. (A number of folks here actively promote this point of view.)
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yandosan
Wow, I do see polls giving greater than 50% approval to TSA.
I wonder if they like the Plague and cockroaches too.
All criticism has been silenced by the extortion known as PreCheck.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But the remedies are completely different.

If TSA is "merely" tone deaf, then the remedy is to teach TSA how to actually listen to the public which it serves. If TSA does want to "do the right thing" but is unaware of how to do so, then interacting with TSA might lead to reform.

If TSA doesn't care about public input, then interacting with TSA serves no useful purpose; reforming TSA will have to come from the outside. (A number of folks here actively promote this point of view.)
Thanks, an explanation that even I understand.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Think he's going to be drawing a secondary for some time now?
Remember when Skeletor and Kippie used visit scornful Members of Congress to reeducate them?
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:33 am

Why not just make it general, like so?

No US government employee shall have a job title including the term "officer"; nor, while on duty, shall they be referred to as an "officer", wear a uniform resembling that of any US government law enforcement officer, display a metal badge or a badge resembling that of a US government law enforcement officer, unless the majority of that employee's duties are as a law enforcement officer and that employee is a properly sworn and trained law enforcement officer with police authority.

Any US government employee who wears a uniform or displays a badge in violation of this section is guilty of misdemeanor impersonation of a law enforcement officer, punishable by up to 6 months in jail and/or up to 10% of their annual salary. If, upon complaint by a member of the public, the Attorney General fails to prosecute the employee under this section, the agency shall be liable under the Federal Tort Claims Act to the complainant for 10% of the employee's annual salary, plus attorney's fees and costs.

Any US government agency or component thereof that maintains a policy in violation of this section shall be liable under the Federal Tort Claims Act for statutory damages of 0.01% of its annual budget for that year, plus attorney's fees and costs.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by saizai
Why not just make it general, like so?

No US government employee shall have a job title including the term "officer"; nor, while on duty, shall they be referred to as an "officer", wear a uniform resembling that of any US government law enforcement officer, display a metal badge or a badge resembling that of a US government law enforcement officer, unless the majority of that employee's duties are as a law enforcement officer and that employee is a properly sworn and trained law enforcement officer with police authority.
Because you've just eliminated the vast majority of those serving in the US military, who hold ranks characterized as "commissioned officers" or "non-commissioned officers". (They're employed by the US government, right?) At that point, all you've got left are privates, airmen, and seamen.

I'm not trying to be snide. I'm just pointing out that getting the definitions right is tricky. Far easier to just get the TSA to quit using the word "officer" and quit dressing like LEOs. (Not that it would be easy to do that, either.)
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:45 pm

Because you've just eliminated the vast majority of those serving in the US military, who hold ranks characterized as "commissioned officers" or "non-commissioned officers". (They're employed by the US government, right?) At that point, all you've got left are privates, airmen, and seamen.
My apologies. Change "law enforcement officer" to add "or military servicemember" for the "officer" title bit only.

Military police are a thing, and ordinary servicemembers should not impersonate them either. Ordinary servicemembers, TTBOMK, are not uniformed like police (including MPs) and do not have metal badges.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by saizai
Military police are a thing, and ordinary servicemembers should not impersonate them either. Ordinary servicemembers, TTBOMK, are not uniformed like police (including MPs) and do not have metal badges.
Officer apples and officer oranges. There are different contexts and appropriate uses for the term officer. It's illogical to focus on the term itself, when the real issue is about impersonating LEOs.

Officers (meaning rank) in the US armed forces do not impersonate law enforcement officers (meaning LEOs) in airports or anywhere else.

TSA clerks do not use the term officer, LEO-style uniforms, and the LEO-style badges to denote rank or any other appropriate reason. They are doing it to impersonate LEOs.

If clerks dressed in professional business attire (no police uniform and badge) and cut the cop-like behaviors and attitude, I would not vehemently object to them using the term officer. I would still think it was inaccurate, but I wouldn't have such serious heartburn with it. The problem is them deliberately pretending to be LEOs. Calling themselves officer is only one piece of the puzzle.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScatterX
Officer apples and officer oranges. There are different contexts and appropriate uses for the term officer. It's illogical to focus on the term itself, when the real issue is about impersonating LEOs.

Officers (meaning rank) in the US armed forces do not impersonate law enforcement officers (meaning LEOs) in airports or anywhere else.

TSA clerks do not use the term officer, LEO-style uniforms, and the LEO-style badges to denote rank or any other appropriate reason. They are doing it to impersonate LEOs.

If clerks dressed in professional business attire (no police uniform and badge) and cut the cop-like behaviors and attitude, I would not vehemently object to them using the term officer. I would still think it was inaccurate, but I wouldn't have such serious heartburn with it. The problem is them deliberately pretending to be LEOs. Calling themselves officer is only one piece of the puzzle.
I think what is most offensive are those TSA screeners who refer themselves as "federal officers", a clear attempt to imply status they have neither earned or deserve. The word officer should be eliminated for TSA screeners as well as any form of a badge.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:42 am

I think what is most offensive are those TSA screeners who refer themselves as "federal officers", a clear attempt to imply status they have neither earned or deserve. The word officer should be eliminated for TSA screeners as well as any form of a badge.
Agree completely.

My comment was based on my perception that some people may be thinking that use of the term officer was wrong in all non-LEO situations (e.g., a non-LEO Military Officer [i.e., a normal non SF/MP Major]) should not be called an officer.

What is obscene in this particular situation is the deliberate attempt to make people think the TSA clerks have LEO authority. Then TSA does nothing to prevent or discipline clerks that act like LEOs. They are screening clerks (or, for the professional ones, screening professionals). Clerks commonly say they are federal officers and often imply they have the power to detain and arrest passengers. They don't. IMO, Congress should stop this nonsense. I won't hold my breath waiting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.