Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FL Congressman introduces bill to "crack down" on TSA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I'm glad to see someone in Congress recognizing the problems. I wonder if this bill will actually go anywhere...

http://www.travelpulse.com/news/airl...sa-agents.html
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Think he's going to be drawing a secondary for some time now?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:42 pm
Suspended

It will be interesting to see if any of the cowards we elect have to courage to support this overdue bill.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 9:59 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
What lovely meaningless grandstanding.

He must be facing a challenge in his next election.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
What lovely meaningless grandstanding.

He must be facing a challenge in his next election.
He is not seeking reelection.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:26 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
He must have senate or gubernatorial aspirations, then.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:13 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by gingersnaps
He is a Representative, unless he is retiring he is seeking re-election every time there is a federal election.

That said given ninnies in Congress on both sides of the isle nothing will probably happen ...
Old Apr 25, 2015, 9:35 am

Imagine a true democracy where people don't have to rely on politicians.
TSA would have been done away with around 2003, after the dust of 911 had settled..
Old Apr 25, 2015, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by yandosan
Imagine a true democracy where people don't have to rely on politicians.
TSA would have been done away with around 2003, after the dust of 911 had settled..
Actually, I doubt it. Depending on which poll you read, TSA has substantial support from the public. (Not necessarily the frequent flyer crowd.)

And, frankly, sometimes democracy is overrated. Just because everyone wants something doesn't mean they should have it.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is yet one more useless thread. There are and have been at least 20 bills/year introduced by some Member every year and none ever go anywhere. Pure grand-standing. It apparently worked for OP !
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Actually, I doubt it. Depending on which poll you read, TSA has substantial support from the public. (Not necessarily the frequent flyer crowd.)

And, frankly, sometimes democracy is overrated. Just because everyone wants something doesn't mean they should have it.
THe real shame is that TSA is totally tone death to the publics general dissatisfaction with the agency and the overall screening process. It took an act of Congress to make TSA end the use of Whole Body Imagers that displayed graphic images. It took a court order to force TSA to conduct a public comment period for Whole Body Imagers which has yet to be completed to this day.

I welcome this legislation and wish it went farther to reform TSA.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Apr 26, 2015 at 8:13 am
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:26 pm

Wow, I do see polls giving greater than 50% approval to TSA.
I wonder if they like the Plague and cockroaches too.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
This is yet one more useless thread. There are and have been at least 20 bills/year introduced by some Member every year and none ever go anywhere. Pure grand-standing. It apparently worked for OP !
Thanks for calling my thread useless. It's quite a statement coming from someone with more than 20,000 posts in less than five years.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Depends on the polling question. If written as "Do you support the disillusion of the TSA and a return to pre9/11 system?" you may be getting a lot of support. If you ask "Do you support the TSA's mission of protecting the American public from the "terrorists"? you'll probably get a lot of people saying yes.

Originally Posted by yandosan
Wow, I do see polls giving greater than 50% approval to TSA.
I wonder if they like the Plague and cockroaches too.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
This.

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
THe real shame is that TSA is totally tone death to the publics general dissatisfactoon with the agency and the overall screening process. It took an act of Congress to make TSA end the use of Whole Body Imagers that displayed graphic images. It took a court order to force TSA to conduct a public comment period for Whole Body Imagers which has yet to be completed to this day.
Not this.

TSA isn't tone deaf. Like most charlatans, they simply don't care.

The goal of the TSA isn't security or security effectiveness. They are building an empire. The public supports this fraud, waste, abuse, and more abuse---in large part---because of fear and ignorance.

TSA is one of the best at taking advantage of the larger efforts by the government to sell fear to the ignorant masses. Things only change when they are so bad that it might potential hurt the entire racket. And even then, TSA will try to get away with the appearance of doing something if they can.

Customer satisfaction, safety, legality, effectiveness, and the like have nothing to do with any of this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.