Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

FL Congressman introduces bill to "crack down" on TSA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FL Congressman introduces bill to "crack down" on TSA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:48 am

"What is obscene in this particular situation is the deliberate attempt to make people think the TSA clerks have LEO authority."

Intimidation is a big part of the screening process. If people were as
smart as you the whole fear-based House of Cards would come crumbling down and flying would be enjoyable again. We can't have that, in the name
of, what was it...oh yeah...security.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:10 am

Perhaps TSA is taking a cue from uniformed security guards, who often have badges as part of their uniform.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
Perhaps TSA is taking a cue from uniformed security guards, who often have badges as part of their uniform.
At least they are guards. TSA screeners aren't even that!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:40 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by ScatterX
If clerks dressed in professional business attire (no police uniform and badge)
The airport screeners in DXB wear medium blue polo shirts (or t-shirts?) with the phrase "How can I help you?" in big white letters. Sure, they're still a bit officious about insisting on doing the (completely superficial) patdown in a private booth, but I like the shirts.
Calling themselves officer is only one piece of the puzzle.
This.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:30 am

TSA clerks do not use the term officer, LEO-style uniforms, and the LEO-style badges to denote rank
They do use it to denote rank. Whether that's appropriate is another matter.

What is obscene in this particular situation is the deliberate attempt to make people think the TSA clerks have LEO authority.
Just to remind you, the TSA SPOT report report form makes "Does not respond to authoritative commands" a 3-pointer for selectee screening (4+) & LEO referral (6+).

Which rather raises the question: what exactly does TSA tell its SPOTniks they are authorized to "command", and on what legal basis?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.