Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Being "Literal" with TSA is fun

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
As this thread seems to be concerned with communication skills and the literal use of language, I have some questions for one of the posters:

Is that as opposed to being willing to partially fly with the TSA? How does that work? Do you jump out of plane in mid-flight and (assuming you survive) walk the rest of the way to your destination?
You're not understanding the meaning of the word "totally"

In this context, it means with enthusiasm or alacrity.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
You are joking, right?
What else would you suggest? Walk in front of the terminal with a sign that says "Down with TSA"?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zitsky
What else would you suggest? Walk in front of the terminal with a sign that says "Down with TSA"?
That would be as effective as writing a Member of Congress.

I have written many letters to my MOC with nothing to show for it. They are only interested in how many $$$$ dollars I am willing to fork over if I want to shake a hand or such.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:00 am

Not a bad idea.

Nor is this:

https://www.facebook.com/AKFreedomToTravelUSA

They regularly protest the TSA at ANC.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Contacting your representatives in Congress or writing the President has more of a chance of causing change.
[Philosophy] Is zero greater than zero?[/philosophy]

I wrote my Congressional representative and got a "it's all for your own safety; there are terrorists everywhere; think of the children; thanks for your comments" reply.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I wrote my Congressional representative and got a "it's all for your own safety; there are terrorists everywhere; think of the children; thanks for your comments" reply.
I've had the same experience. They're all too scared about looking bad in case anything does happen. With the TSA in place all they;d have to do is blame them vs. being blamed if they don;t support the current blated and intrusive infrastructure.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO

If your letter had been hand-delivered in person and included a very large campaign donation, the Congressman's office might be motivated to make a call the FSD of your home airport to make your name and trustworthiness known.

No check and you come across like a panhandler. Sigh.

Last edited by chollie; Jul 24, 2015 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:01 pm

My congresscritter adds: "The TSA has to get it right all the time; a terrorist only once" which usually induces a coughing fit.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!

My reply, the one time I tried writing to see what would happen, included a ref to "the events of last year" and some low grade futile terror effort. The "events" they were referring to were ~3 years previous.

Cut & paste for democracy!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 10:40 pm
KDS
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Executive Elite
Contacting your representatives in Congress or writing the President has more of a chance of causing change. Playing word games at the airport is not likely to do anything.
I've gone that route more than once. Each time was a complete misuse of electrons and paper and postage. See this post for a copy of the reply I got from my then-US-Representative, who claimed to care about how citizens are treated by our government and about security impacts on people:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/check...ghlight=letter
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by petaluma1
My congresscritter adds: "The TSA has to get it right all the time; a terrorist only once" which usually induces a coughing fit.
Well, then since the TSA gets it wrong 95% of the time (by their own admission), they're provably worthless.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: Somewhere in my wallet
Originally Posted by poisson
If everyone would behave like KDS, maybe something would change about the TSA.

We've got too many sheep in this country who just roll over.
It's neither my job nor my duty to inconvenience myself and others in the service of some dubious principle. TSA procedures are inconvenient and annoying, sure, but not worth ruining my day and trip. I don't like how baristas at Starbucks ask my name either, but you know what? It's not worth getting angry, and it's not worth shitting all over some poor worker schlub because I'm irritated by the rules he has to follow.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:29 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by chollie
If your letter had been hand-delivered in person and included a very large campaign donation, the Congressman's office might be motivated to make a call the FSD of your home airport to make your name and trustworthiness known.

No check and you come across like a panhandler. Sigh.
Since my home airport is SYD, I usually get treated pretty well.

Sure, there's been the occasional nonsense due to my hip implant: patting down bare arms or insisting that I remove a non-existent belt. But compared to my treatment by TSA (pre-implant), it's nothing.

I believe the letter to my so-called representative noted that I no longer visit my US-based family due to fear of TSA's harassment.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
It's neither my job nor my duty to inconvenience myself and others in the service of some dubious principle. TSA procedures are inconvenient and annoying, sure, but not worth ruining my day and trip. I don't like how baristas at Starbucks ask my name either, but you know what? It's not worth getting angry, and it's not worth shitting all over some poor worker schlub because I'm irritated by the rules he has to follow.
Starbucks baristas ask for your name to help get your drink to you. TSA staff ask for your name because...well, no good reason.

Also, if I don't like Starbucks' policies and procedures, I can go to another coffee shop. I don't have the option of going to the next checkpoint, serviced by TSG (Transportation Security Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Peet's).
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:50 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by GatoAndaluz
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Starbucks baristas ask for your name to help get your drink to you. TSA staff ask for your name because...well, no good reason.

Also, if I don't like Starbucks' policies and procedures, I can go to another coffee shop. I don't have the option of going to the next checkpoint, serviced by TSG (Transportation Security Group, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Peet's).
Now, see, I agree with both of you. Imagine that?

"Shut up and do as you're told" is not an acceptable response when what I'm told to do is a blatant violation of my Constitutionally-protected rights and freedoms.

However, being a douchenozzle to the low-level TSO working the TDC podium does nothing but drag me down into the mud. I am a better person than that.

So, my resistance to these violations of my rights has to be measured, calm, and unemotional.

Many choose to exercise their right to remain silent and their 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination by refusing to say their name out loud in a crowded airport. I applaud these folks, as they are conducting a freedom of navigation exercise from which I hope to eventually benefit.

Some choose to play the literal game with TSOs, engaging in a dickmove behavior that does nothing to further the cause, and actually hurts the cause by inconveniencing innocent travelers behind them in the queue who have to wait through the game-playing and then deal with an aggravated TSO when they come to the head of the line.

I must admit, I have not yet been subjected to the Name Game when I've flown, but my plan is to take a more middle-of-the-road tactic which will allow me to fly but get me out of saying my name aloud in public against my will - I will pronounce my name in the full German fashion of its origin, rather than the English slurring used by most in my family. Despite my never having been to Germany, and my near-complete lack of German language skills, I believe I can pronounce my German-origin last name in the proper German fashion (and I know I can pronounce my first name, William, in the proper German fashion). Said quickly, it sounds nothing like the English version, but is absolutely correct and within the bounds of TSA procedure, and very unlikely to cause disruption or delay to anyone around me.

Of course, there will always be some clod who thinks it's funny to say his name is pronounced "Hideo Takamini" when his BP says "Kevin Donaldson", or vice-versa, but I won't be that clod. I'll be the clod who is putting on my shoes while that clod is still messing with Sasquatch at the podium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.