Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Romance detectors and relationship wreckers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CBP Romance detectors and relationship wreckers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by emrdoc
What ever happened to the idea of the US and Canada establishing a "Schengen" type zone so we can do away with the border crossing altogether? Did this idea die with 9/11?
Never got beyond the talking stage even before 9/11.

America believes Canada's lax immigration lets in too many foreign terrorists that could go south. Canada believes America's lax gun laws and intolerance create too many heavily-armed domestic terrorists that we really don't want here.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by emrdoc
What ever happened to the idea of the US and Canada establishing a "Schengen" type zone so we can do away with the border crossing altogether? Did this idea die with 9/11?
The idea was never even up for governmentsl consideration in the US or Canada as having any real chance. Remember how hard it was for the U.S. to even sign-up to NAFTA?

The governmental pursuit of a treaty for intra-US/Canada mobility rights akin to those under Schengen? That would unleash the paranoid on both sides of the border and prevent it from becoming law. It would be more difficult than NAFTA.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
In the future you could also fly through Montreal, Toronto, or Quebec of course.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jphripjah
In the future you could also fly through Montreal, Toronto, or Quebec of course.
Yes I thought of that as well but don't all agents have access to her notes? For all I know she could have put a notation in there to have everyone send me to secondary.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I've been sent to CBP secondary three times (US citizen). The agents have access to prior secondary notes about me, but no alert pops up or anything when they swipe my passport. I still just get admitted without questions most of the time.

If we start getting into it over the questioning then yes, they can see the prior notes, but that usually doesn't come up until after they have a new reason to send me back to secondary.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:40 am

The two worst countries in the world to enter are the United States and Canada - both treat people (in the case of the US, even their own citizens) like absolute rubbish.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 8:50 am

As a Canadian working in Texas, I go through Ottawa and the CBP
there a lot.

Last time I went through the officer and I had a nice conversation
about restaurants in San Antonio. Turns out that particular officer
also lived in San Antonio and recognized my cap. The process was
painless / pleasant though I was sweating from being overheated.

Keep a documented history of your travels which documents your
returns to Canada and give them that to review. Past history is
often an indicator or future behavior although CBP may toss that
out the window in the case of romantic international relationships.

Also put together documentation on your ties to Canada... tax
returns, business incorporation/registration, bank statements,
mortgage payments, rental payments, whois listing of your
business website, utility payments, references, etc.

When they pull you into secondary have both these paper files
appropriately labelled and let them at it.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Paul56
Also put together documentation on your ties to Canada... tax
returns, business incorporation/registration, bank statements,
mortgage payments, rental payments, whois listing of your
business website, utility payments, references, etc.

When they pull you into secondary have both these paper files
appropriately labelled and let them at it.
Thank you! I never thought to include the whois. I appreciate your input!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:21 am

I don't mean to be rude, but do you really want to travel with all this documentation? Somebody could see that you have sensitive data and decide to steal your bag?

Why don't you simply contact an attorney and have him draw up papers confirming your residence, then have the papers notarized. This prevents somebody from having a look at your personal papers and/or having them fall into the wrong hands.

CK
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:18 am

Almost all airports do not take kindly to international relationships and frequent visits, even if you have the funds and address of who will look after you.

Which I think sucks, since some of my friends went through hell at times when they visit their girlfriends/wives in their home countries.

It is not like they can apply for benefits without first living a few years in the country and paying taxes for them, so can someone enlighten me if this is just paranoia or are border agents just jealous or territorial when a foreigner courts one of their people?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CKA1
I don't mean to be rude, but do you really want to travel with all this documentation? Somebody could see that you have sensitive data and decide to steal your bag?

Why don't you simply contact an attorney and have him draw up papers confirming your residence, then have the papers notarized. This prevents somebody from having a look at your personal papers and/or having them fall into the wrong hands.

CK
Carry scans on a computer/tablet, not papers.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Carry scans on a computer/tablet, not papers.
So what if you dont ever travel with a computer /tablet? I dont ever do that . Dont need it at all. I have computers in both countries.

Last edited by tanja; Apr 12, 2015 at 1:46 pm
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by FateSucks
Almost all airports do not take kindly to international relationships and frequent visits, even if you have the funds and address of who will look after you.
Yes, the US Government hates people who come here legally, especially if they're educated and have their own wealth. If you were an illiterate grade school drop out who sneaked across the border 20 times already you would be welcomed with open arms.

Sorry for the rant, but when I read stories like this and see our government ordering CBP not to enforce laws at the southern border it truly makes me wonder who is running this country and what their intentions are.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Yes, the US Government hates people who come here legally, especially if they're educated and have their own wealth. If you were an illiterate grade school drop out who sneaked across the border 20 times already you would be welcomed with open arms.

Sorry for the rant, but when I read stories like this and see our government ordering CBP not to enforce laws at the southern border it truly makes me wonder who is running this country and what their intentions are.
It's no wonder, for our elected officials cater to their voting constituents/supporters -- be those votes cast by individuals at the ballot box on election days or be it from those individuals or corporations voting with their wallets to get their way.

The thinking seems to be that if we leave the airports of entry as a welcome mat into the country then the risky surface crossings would become less risky and much of that unlawful traffic and more would just fly instead.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:17 pm

if the relationship progresses, get married. Either he sponsors you to the US (you get a green card) or you sponsor him to Canada (he gets PR Card).
That way you'd both be eligible to avoid lengthy questioning by immigration at both sides.
But this all depends on the 'future' of your relations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.