Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

CBP Romance detectors and relationship wreckers

CBP Romance detectors and relationship wreckers

Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Frequent visits due to romantic relationships are often a red-flag, even if the prior history of visits evidence compliance with immigration stay limits. Combine that with appearing to be self-employed, and this kind of suspicion can hit.
Very true. The other complicating factor is when you go. Frequent weekend trips to a large city by a female who declares herself as "self-employed" and gives her reason to visit as "seeing her boyfriend" may raise suspicions that she is a sex trade worker.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
Very true. The other complicating factor is when you go. Frequent weekend trips to a large city by a female who declares herself as "self-employed" and gives her reason to visit as "seeing her boyfriend" may raise suspicions that she is a sex trade worker.
I'm a 41 year old, accomplished educated woman. Hardly sex worker material. So funny how they think the worst of people
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JadeAngel
I'm a 41 year old, accomplished educated woman. Hardly sex worker material. So funny how they think the worst of people
Your age, education and accomplishments don't disqualify you from their suspicions whatever they might be. Cross often enough and your number comes up eventually. They don't care whether they let you in or not and your attitude and how you manage through the experience is what matters.

Far too many people adopt an imperious attitude and hostile approach when dealing with border crossings. It rarely ends well.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:33 am

JadeAngel,

Is NATGEO (cable) available to you? If so; consider watching the Border Wars episode re: a solo woman traveler that frequently crosses Detroit:Windsor. Upon arrival in the USA, do any of your transit actions possibly fit the model for someone trying to identify or shake surveillance?

Your situation has attracted attention. The accusatory/harsh questioning is a "Reid" interview (interrogation). Google it. Not much you can do, other than play along with Security Theater.

re: other documentation: carrying it MAY indeed be helpful. Tax docs, business licenses, business cards for your accountant, lawyer, landlord, whatever ...

re: Photos. Neither my wife or I carry family photos. Apparently, most couples do carry photos. It's just part of security theater. Play along to get along.

re: Nexus. After years of not having Nexus, getting Nexus may indeed raise your profile as it could be (mis)interpreted as a counter-intelligence action to deflect/avoid suspicion. Ironic/frustrating eh?

My wife and I occasionally travel separately to the same int'l destination. We both get quizzed, but she usually gets more scrutiny than me.

> 41, accomplished, educated ...

Does not matter. Your travel pattern fits a statistical model of someone who might be up to something. To get along, play along with Security Theater. Smile. Inspite of hostility, your role is to remain calm and gracious. If you play along & cooperate long enough, scrutiny will decline once CBP/ICE has completed their investigation. Yes, you both will indeed be investigated. No avoiding it.

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Apr 7, 2015 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
JadeAngel,

Is NATGEO (cable) available to you? If so; consider watching the Border Wars episode re: a solo woman traveler that frequently crosses Detroit:Windsor. Upon arrival in the USA, do any of your transit actions possibly fit the model for someone trying to identify or shake surveillance?

Your situation has attracted attention. The accusatory/harsh questioning is a "Reid" interview (interrogation). Google it. Not much you can do, other than play along with Security Theater.

re: other documentation: carrying it MAY indeed be helpful. Tax docs, business licenses, business cards for your accountant, lawyer, landlord, whatever ...

re: Photos. Neither my wife or I carry family photos. Apparently, most couples do carry photos. It's just part of security theater. Play along to get along.

re: Nexus. After years of not having Nexus, getting Nexus may indeed raise your profile as it could be (mis)interpreted as a counter-intelligence action to deflect/avoid suspicion. Ironic/frustrating eh?

My wife and I occasionally travel separately to the same int'l destination. We both get quizzed, but she usually gets more scrutiny than me.

> 41, accomplished, educated ...

Does not matter. Your travel pattern fits a statistical model of someone who might be up to something. To get along, play along with Security Theater. Smile. Inspite of hostility, your role is to remain calm and gracious. If you play along & cooperate long enough, scrutiny will decline once CBP/ICE has completed their investigation. Yes, you both will indeed be investigated. No avoiding it.
You made a lot of sense. Thank you for posting!
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

High end sex workers generally are educated. CBP has no way to see that you're accomplished. Nothing that you have described on here excludes this scenario.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 10:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thanks for the feedback everyone
Don't smile and be too friendly with CBP and CBSA, if selected for (or seemingly on the verge of) secondary search/interrogation -- that is too often taken as a sign of "has something to hide" and results in more issues.

Sexist profiling is an issue at border crossings, and it's never entirely avoidable if you do enough crossings.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Don't smile and be too friendly with CBP and CBSA, if selected for (or seemingly on the verge of) secondary search/interrogation -- that is too often taken as a sign of "has something to hide" and results in more issues.

Sexist profiling is an issue at border crossings, and it's never entirely avoidable if you do enough crossings.
So how does one prove otherwise? They already have a copy of my business registration and tax numbers as well as my mortgage papers. How does one defend themselves from being unjustly labeled?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:11 pm
Suspended

So how does one prove otherwise? They already have a copy of my business registration and tax numbers as well as my mortgage papers. How does one defend themselves from being unjustly labeled?
There's no guaranteed way unfortunately. We are at CBP's mercy when we attempt to enter the USA just as Americans are at the mercy of CBSA when coming to Canada. Neither agency will ever be confused with the Welcome Wagon.

Were you born in Canada? Are you a visible minority? That may affect whether they question whether you have ties here. It's not fair but border guards aren't in the fair business.

I've never been questioned about "ties to Canada" but would think presenting my DL with home address, health card and firearms license would help establish that I wasn't just passing through Canada to get to the USA.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 12:25 pm

> How does one defend themselves from being unjustly labeled?

You ... cannot *defend* from being unjustly labeled. You simply keep answering questions and adding to the collection of ancillary docs that further prove a strong tie Canada. Being a good girl and having no prior over-stays is a very good thing. But ...

Apparently, you fit one of (many) profiles. Until CBP/ICE begins and completes their investigation, you should expect continuing scrutiny and being delayed:detained. Or; perhaps you (or the boyfriend) share a name with a bad actor. Or; perhaps the boyfriend has an unsavory item in his history. Or; perhaps a rival (of you or him) has decided to mess with your relationship.

Or; perhaps they've simply got WRONG information. Someday they may finally ask a direct question that will allow you to correct the possible misinformation.

Your choices are:

- Grit your teeth, smile & comply.
- Move the boyfriend to Canada
- Marry the guy and move to the USA.
- Get a new boyfriend, one that resides in Canada

Last edited by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7; Apr 7, 2015 at 1:07 pm
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Badenoch
There's no guaranteed way unfortunately. We are at CBP's mercy when we attempt to enter the USA just as Americans are at the mercy of CBSA when coming to Canada. Neither agency will ever be confused with the Welcome Wagon.

Were you born in Canada? Are you a visible minority? That may affect whether they question whether you have ties here. It's not fair but border guards aren't in the fair business.
Welcome wagon..haha I love that.
Nope not a visible minority. Canada born and raised
Old Apr 7, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gqZJzU4vusf0Z2,$d7
> How does one defend themselves from being unjustly labeled?

You ... cannot *defend* from being unjustly labeled. You simply keep answering questions and adding to the collection of ancillary docs that further prove a strong tie Canada. Being a good girl and having no prior over-stays is a very good thing. But ...

Apparently, you fit one of (many) profiles. Until CBP/ICE begins and completes their investigation, you should expect continuing scrutiny and being delayed:detained. Or; perhaps you (or the boyfriend) share a name with a bad actor. Or; perhaps the boyfriend has an unsavory item in his history. Or; perhaps a rival (of you or him) has decided to mess with your relationship.

Or; perhaps they've simply got WRONG information. Someday they may finally ask a direct question that will allow you to correct the possible misinformation.

Your choices are:

- Grit your teeth, smile & comply.
- Move the boyfriend to Canada
- Marry the guy and move to the USA.
- Get a new boyfriend, one that resides in Canada
I won't let him go. Guess we can meet somewhere in the Caribbean and hop on jet skis.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:55 pm

What ever happened to the idea of the US and Canada establishing a "Schengen" type zone so we can do away with the border crossing altogether? Did this idea die with 9/11?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by emrdoc
What ever happened to the idea of the US and Canada establishing a "Schengen" type zone so we can do away with the border crossing altogether? Did this idea die with 9/11?
I can't see the US ever abolishing border controls a la Schengen. Even without factoring 9-11, the political aspects of trying to do something like that would be a nightmare, and frankly not worth the effort, IMO. Once you factor in 9-11, it becomes basically impossible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.