Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

TSA hassel / pulled out of line / false accusations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Long time lurker - first post.

Absurd incident flying out of LAX yesterday thought I'd share....

Making my way thru the airport, traveling alone, minding my own business I get near the security area in a hallway that was very wide, probably 20' across. Two women, one in her 20s and a fat 300 pounder in her 50s, were on the floor on all fours with a suitcase open rummaging through it looking for something. I didn't look at them, make eye contact, or say anything. Just walked around them. A while later I get to the security area, wait in line, and then when I'm 3 people behind the gate from behind me I hear "hey a-hole, you couldn't just wait 5 minutes more could you".

Huh??? I turn around and the younger thin woman starts giving me crud about me not being a gentlemen and how I should have waited for her to finish looking thru her suitcase. I said "sorry" and turn around ignoring her. She continues going on and on about how I'm not a gentlemen. I turn around and tell "if you need to look through your suitcase, move over to the side and don't block the hallway".

She starts yelling at me, then I tell her "if you would like to go ahead of me by all means you and that fat tub can do so".

Probably not smart on my part, but that really set them off. Then the older huge woman gets in my face. Like literally nose to nose yelling at me to watch my tongue.

The gate TSA lady sees the commission, and comes over and asks the women what's going on. The women tell the TSA that I "pushed" them out of the way, cut them in line, cursed at them, and threatened them. The TSA agent looks at me and yells at the top of her voice "you sir, get out of line, now!". Then yells in thin air as lough as heck "I need a supervisor here immediately". By now 20,000 people are watching this unfold. I'm sitting there not saying a word, move out of line and over to the side wall.

The TSA supervisor (who looked to be 2 days out of high school) comes over, get an earful from the gate TSA person about what I am guilty of, and then he gets all tough with me standing right up against me with my back to the wall. I calmly explain what happened, tell him to watch the security video from the area, and ask nicely to get on my plane. He keeps saying "because of what you did to those women" over and over. Finally, after getting an earful from him, he lets me go. But I had to go thru a private line just for me because "those women feel in fear of their lives".

So there you have it folks... next time you commit the crime of 'walking past someone' keep in mind what may happen!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of those random awful experiences at the hands of awful people (and TSA microbrains with too much power). Sorry.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: TK*G
I'm also a bicyclist, and after dealing with a-hole drivers trying to run me off the road nearly every time I ride, I've learned just to take a deep breath and let things go whenever anything comes up. Getting into quarrels with strangers is simply just not worth it when you don't know how volatile or dangerous they might be.

OP, you did nothing wrong in that situation, but further antagonizing them was all it took to push a couple of (presumably) overstressed and inexperienced travelers over the edge. Ignoring them and reporting them to TSA yourself likely would have given them the extra thorough TSA love that they probably deserved.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:54 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk dmanlv
I am moving your thread to the Travel Safety and Security Forum.
Please follow there.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

As a general rule, I always bite my lip and hold it in. I avoid confrontations. For the most part I just let the power trip TSA folks dish it out and I walked away.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:48 pm

Deleted

Last edited by brendog; Jun 8, 2015 at 4:32 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:05 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
not sure this has any practical applications

So I'm moving it to Debate Forum. Thanks.

squeakr
CO Mod TS/S
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Not defending the two women whatsoever but you escalated the situation by insulting one of them. They were already agitated and you made it worse by calling one a "fat tub." I know it's hard sometimes but in those situations the best approach is FIDO -- Forget It and Drive On.

(The "F" is FIDO has been suitably altered for a family environment. In real life the "F" stands for something else. )
Old Apr 2, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Badenoch
(The "F" is FIDO has been suitably altered for a family environment. In real life the "F" stands for something else. )
Since you normally need that other F to have a family environment, why isn't it suitable for one?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Bronze
Oh to have found myself in the OP's shoes AND had the stones to reply, "If I did as she said, I assume they will have have problem signing a written statement to that effect to start the whole legal procedure, especially knowing full well the penalties for providing a false statement to the authorities."
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dmanlv
Long time lurker - first post.

Absurd incident flying out of LAX yesterday thought I'd share....

Making my way thru the airport, traveling alone, minding my own business I get near the security area in a hallway that was very wide, probably 20' across. Two women, one in her 20s and a fat 300 pounder in her 50s, were on the floor on all fours with a suitcase open rummaging through it looking for something. I didn't look at them, make eye contact, or say anything. Just walked around them. A while later I get to the security area, wait in line, and then when I'm 3 people behind the gate from behind me I hear "hey a-hole, you couldn't just wait 5 minutes more could you".

Huh??? I turn around and the younger thin woman starts giving me crud about me not being a gentlemen and how I should have waited for her to finish looking thru her suitcase. I said "sorry" and turn around ignoring her. She continues going on and on about how I'm not a gentlemen. I turn around and tell "if you need to look through your suitcase, move over to the side and don't block the hallway".

She starts yelling at me, then I tell her "if you would like to go ahead of me by all means you and that fat tub can do so".

Probably not smart on my part, but that really set them off. Then the older huge woman gets in my face. Like literally nose to nose yelling at me to watch my tongue.

The gate TSA lady sees the commission, and comes over and asks the women what's going on. The women tell the TSA that I "pushed" them out of the way, cut them in line, cursed at them, and threatened them. The TSA agent looks at me and yells at the top of her voice "you sir, get out of line, now!". Then yells in thin air as lough as heck "I need a supervisor here immediately". By now 20,000 people are watching this unfold. I'm sitting there not saying a word, move out of line and over to the side wall.

The TSA supervisor (who looked to be 2 days out of high school) comes over, get an earful from the gate TSA person about what I am guilty of, and then he gets all tough with me standing right up against me with my back to the wall. I calmly explain what happened, tell him to watch the security video from the area, and ask nicely to get on my plane. He keeps saying "because of what you did to those women" over and over. Finally, after getting an earful from him, he lets me go. But I had to go thru a private line just for me because "those women feel in fear of their lives".

So there you have it folks... next time you commit the crime of 'walking past someone' keep in mind what may happen!
Your "mistake" is not to IMMEDIATELY go in full attack mode. BEFORE the women accuse you, YOU MUST IMMEDIATELY accuse them. Otherwise, you lose as you just described.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:51 am

I would not have allowed myself to have been baited
into an argument or altercation.

I would have ignored them and not said a word. They
could have created the scene on their own... and it
would be all on them.

Same as road rage... don't acknowledge or engage.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:01 am

Calling one of them fat was a mistake. I agree with the others, you should have mentioned this to TSA when they accused you of cutting in line. Then maybe it might have turned out better. Maybe wait until after security to say something to them.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 12:25 pm

You're right. That wasn't very smart on your part.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:38 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
How effective would playing "deaf" work. When they first confronted you, your response (in a semi-loud voice): "HUH!, what are you saying...I can't hear you...you need a pen?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.