Search

TSA Gives Breathalyzer Tests To Some FAMs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
TSA Gives Breathalyzer Tests To Some FAMs

http://www.revealnews.org/article/ts...-air-marshals/

In an unusual move, the Transportation Security Administration has started giving breath alcohol tests to some air marshals before they board assigned flights.
One air marshal recently was called at his hotel and instructed to report to the airport for testing, 30 minutes before he was to be on-duty for a mission out of the Washington, D.C., area, said Frank Terreri, president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association’s section for air marshals.
Calling it “a total embarrassment” and “the worst management decision ever,” Terreri said the TSA is building a costly shadow agency to test air marshals.

“Not only do we have to worry about terrorists, but we also have to worry about internal investigators following us around overseas,” he said. “That doesn’t bode well with foreign military, law enforcement or intelligence agencies that our guys have to subject to a breathalyzer.”
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:21 am

… so TSA cops now have an IA division, like all other cops in the country?

What exactly is the problem with this?
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by saizai
… so TSA cops now have an IA division, like all other cops in the country?

What exactly is the problem with this?
The problem is that the TSA is not a well-run agency to begin with and adding another level of dysfunction will do nothing to correct any problems within the league of FAMs. The only upside I can see is that FAMs would now get to experience the same capriciousness that you have experienced at checkpoints, Sai.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

.said Frank Terreri, president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association’s section for air marshals....Calling it “a total embarrassment” and “the worst management decision ever,” Terreri said the TSA is building a costly shadow agency to test air marshals.
Ok, so Frank Terreri, president of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association, is calling being held accoutable the "worst management decision ever".

Frank would you rather have an armed FAM show up for work after drinking inside the bottle to throttle rules?

Disgusting!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
If it drives more people out of the FAM service, it could be the best TSA move ever.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by petaluma1
The problem is that the TSA is not a well-run agency to begin with and adding another level of dysfunction will do nothing to correct any problems within the league of FAMs. The only upside I can see is that FAMs would now get to experience the same capriciousness that you have experienced at checkpoints, Sai.
While I admit I'd that somewhat cathartic, I don't think it's useful per se.

However…

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
… would you rather have an armed FAM show up for work after drinking inside the bottle to throttle rules?
… I'd really rather that the guys with guns on the plane be stone cold sober.

I'm not particularly a fan of IA divisions, in that they tend to bury stuff that ought to be criminally prosecuted instead, but every LEA should have independent oversight with at least some teeth.

If FAMs getting drunk is a common enough problem that random breathalyzers are called for, then so be it. Though that itself speaks rather poorly of both the job and the training.

(Though again, I admit I can understand why a FAM might want to get a bit sloshed en route. Staying alert the whole time for nothing, every single time, has got to be a pretty stressful / annoying / boring job. I can sympathize with that.)
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saizai
While I admit I'd that somewhat cathartic, I don't think it's useful per se.

However…

… I'd really rather that the guys with guns on the plane be stone cold sober.

I'm not particularly a fan of IA divisions, in that they tend to bury stuff that ought to be criminally prosecuted instead, but every LEA should have independent oversight with at least some teeth.

If FAMs getting drunk is a common enough problem that random breathalyzers are called for, then so be it. Though that itself speaks rather poorly of both the job and the training.

(Though again, I admit I can understand why a FAM might want to get a bit sloshed en route. Staying alert the whole time for nothing, every single time, has got to be a pretty stressful / annoying / boring job. I can sympathize with that.)
It's not even about being drunk. I don't know what the no booze for x hours before flight rule is for FAM's but if any are in violation corrective action is in order. How TSA enforces that rule is an agency call.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Maybe they should follow the Secret Service too-

They blind and meek shall inherit __________?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
The FAMs vs. the TSA. I don't know who to root for.

Mike
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef

Mike
While the Breathalyzer is out perhaps we need to start checking some SS and DEA agents.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:04 pm

Mike
Root for a sinkhole!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jtodd
Root for a sinkhole!
Nw there's a platform I can support!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

Mike
LOL.

It's sort of like when Michigan and Notre Dame play. I don't really know what to do...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by jtodd
Root for a sinkhole!
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Nw there's a platform I can support!
But if you support the platform, doesn't that keep the sinkhole from forming?

Originally Posted by pinniped
It's sort of like when Michigan and Notre Dame play. I don't really know what to do...
Oh, dear ... poor deluded football fan ... come to the Church of Harbaugh ...
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
But if you support the platform, doesn't that keep the sinkhole from forming?
I'll build it to the side of the expected lcation of the sinkhle... far enough away that I stay out of any possible vortex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.