Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Don't Yawn While at the Checkpoint

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: United 1K (Star Alliance Gold) IHG Platinum
About 6 months ago, I was taking a medication that caused profuse sweating at certain times of day. I made the mistake of taking it right before going to the airport. My cheeks were red and I was literally dripping sweat so badly I thought that my eye makeup would come off. I was TERRIFIED that this would stop me from traveling!

However, either no one noticed it or (more likely) no one seemed to care. Based on reading this list, I think that's pretty strange.. Either I was "lucky" or they just really aren't looking for women.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Watch out for that weaponized scuba manual...
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by saizai
… because your smartphone, water bottle, vacation pictures, and scuba training guide are totally equivalent to an actual explosive device.
You missed my point The things they are looking for are every day objects Perhaps they should at least add the unusual ones as well if they're just gonna go off a list
I think we're on the same side
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
You missed my point The things they are looking for are every day objects Perhaps they should at least add the unusual ones as well if they're just gonna go off a list
I think we're on the same side
Ah. ^

Well, you'll note that on the "reasons for arrest" list, not a single item has anything to do with terrorism, weapons, or explosives.

I guess they've never had cause to write that, so why have a checkbox?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
And these same people want guns!
My thoughts exactly.

With this and the Sunday interview from the Indiana Governor, SNL, the Daily Show and others have more material than they can use for the foreseeable future
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DBCme
My thoughts exactly.

With this and the Sunday interview from the Indiana Governor, SNL, the Daily Show and others have more material than they can use for the foreseeable future
I would add for balance that installation of a personal server in ones home for government communication, personally deciding applicability of emails for a congressional investigation, and then unilaterally directing the wiping the server, are for also grist for that mill.

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 3, 2015 at 12:46 am Reason: going OMNI
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mikeef
Rumor has it that if you earn more than 17 points, the TSO gets to shoot you on sight.

Mike
How many points does a SPOTted person at an airport have to collect before the SPOTting TSA employee realizes that the TSA should make Depends or other incontinence products part of the required TSA uniform?
Old Mar 31, 2015, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by Pesky Monkey
Blueprints
Bulges in clothing.
Could be an architect just getting really excited about his pat-down.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
How many points does a SPOTted person at an airport have to collect before the SPOTting TSA employee realizes that the TSA should make Depends or other incontinence products part of the required TSA uniform?
The more points a TSO collects, the better. The TSO is the first line of defense against bad guys and they're there for your protection. This manual was clearly created by somebody who had spent a lot of time watching Die Hard with a Vengeance, The Mentalist and Lie to Me. Respect the Authori-tah!

Mike

Last edited by essxjay; Apr 3, 2015 at 12:46 am Reason: reference to deleted remark
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
This manual was clearly created by somebody who had spent a lot of time watching Die Hard with a Vengeance, The Mentalist and Lie to Me.
Mainly the latter, which is based on Paul Ekman's work. He's directly involved in the SPOT program.

Sad thing is, he used to do really great research — in fact, it's what inspired me to go to grad school to study social neuroscience (and is in part the basis of my thesis).

But then he stopped doing peer-reviewed, published research and started contradicting his own prior research which clearly showed that involuntary displays of basic emotions or stress (which do exist) cannot be reliably attributed to any particular underlying reason, like deception.

This is intuitively obvious if you think about this: suppose a cop asks you, in an interrogation room, whether you raped your ex. You're pretty damn likely to show a spike of CNS stress combined with anger, disgust, fear, or the like. Think of how many potential reasons there are for that reaction (which is all that can be measured externally, even if you're good at it*) that are not "because you're guilty".

* And FWIW, as my thesis work shows (duplicating prior research; see its cites), there's basically zero correlation between whether you actually are good at detecting facial emotion and how confident you are in your assessments, etc.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:27 pm

Die Hard with a Vengeance is way beyond the intellectual capacity of the authors of that form. And the The Mentalist would have been like reading James Joyce translated into Finnish.

I went back and read Julie Raines' paper from Northern Kentucky University. She discusses the behavioural aspects used by American Airlines' contract security firm when they were at Orly. These were:

1. Appears nervous
2. Does not cooperate with security agent
3. Passenger tries to avoid questioning
4. Makes contact with other passengers suspiciously
5. Makes contradictory statements

These are not particularly insane criteria even though they are subjective and dependent on the security agent's skill.

But the biggest difference is that they are not scored or ranked. The agent is supposed to THINK.

It's rather like when I teach a class on suicide assessment (a hot topic at the moment.) I always, always taught to never use a score. You can't use a rating scale and say, "You got a 2 out of 10" so you must be fine. Then the patient goes and kills himself. Scoring and ranking are a dangerous way to avoid sound clinical judgment.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Mats
I went back and read Julie Raines' paper from Northern Kentucky University.
Link?

It's rather like when I teach a class on suicide assessment (a hot topic at the moment.) I always, always taught to never use a score. You can't use a rating scale and say, "You got a 2 out of 10" so you must be fine. Then the patient goes and kills himself. Scoring and ranking are a dangerous way to avoid sound clinical judgment.
Thanks for doing that. It's a hard topic that most people aren't even aware of, even with suicide being twice as common as death by violence.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:53 pm

Sazai,
It's here: http://citation.allacademic.com/meta...256_index.html

Nothing earth-shattering, rather scattered, and not much to do with El Al.
But it does spell out what the agents at Orly were using. And I doubt that the algorithm has changed much.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 2:49 pm

Thanks. Will add to reading list. ^
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:04 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I imagine there's an unwritten racial/ethnic multiplier to all of these. x5 points if you're not a very American-looking white male or female, regardless of your citizenship or immigration status.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
I imagine there's an unwritten racial/ethnic multiplier to all of these. x5 points if you're not a very American-looking white male or female, regardless of your citizenship or immigration status.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1..._1125208.html?

Nah, TSA wouldn't profile. But if they did profile you can bet it was done more than once and at more than one airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.