Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Eating Food You Can't Bring into Country at Checkpoint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Has anyone got into a situation where they were told by a customs agent that the food they are bringing into a country cannot be brought in (after declaring it)?

Usually the food would get confiscated and disposed of by customs. However, has anyone actually insisted on eating and finishing the food at the customs checkpoint instead of having it taken away (eg. you were told your sandwich or cupcake is not allowed into the country so you eat it before leaving the customs checkpoint [you don't want to have it taken away as it is very special sandwich/cupcake that is only available in the country you just traveled to)?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: Delta, United
I have eaten fruit that I forgot I had while line - only because I knew that it would not be allowed. So instead of throwing it out, I ate it. I have done the same with liquids before goose stepping through the TSA gauntlet. So not quite what you are asking but along those lines.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
.... I have done the same with liquids before goose stepping through the TSA gauntlet. So not quite what you are asking but along those lines.
Imagine chugging a bottle of wine you "accidentally" purchased on a connecting flight only to find out that you can't bring it through security!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by daniellam
Has anyone got into a situation where they were told by a customs agent that the food they are bringing into a country cannot be brought in (after declaring it)?

Usually the food would get confiscated and disposed of by customs. However, has anyone actually insisted on eating and finishing the food at the customs checkpoint instead of having it taken away (eg. you were told your sandwich or cupcake is not allowed into the country so you eat it before leaving the customs checkpoint [you don't want to have it taken away as it is very special sandwich/cupcake that is only available in the country you just traveled to)?
I actually asked a Agricultural Inspector this last night! They said they would definitely hit you with a $500 fine if you do that.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeatOfMyPants
I actually asked a Agricultural Inspector this last night! They said they would definitely hit you with a $500 fine if you do that.
Which is ridiculous as you are not "bringing it into the country". You would have already eaten it before exiting those doors. This would have the same effect had you ate it on the plane.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Which is ridiculous as you are not "bringing it into the country". You would have already eaten it before exiting those doors. This would have the same effect had you ate it on the plane.
Well, not quite. If you injest the food, especially if they watch you eat it, then you are still in possession of it until your body eliminates it. So, unless you eliminate it on the floor right there in front of them (which might or might not incur additional punitive/enforcement matters) when you cross the threshold, yes, you have brought it into the country.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

By the time you arrive at the checkpoint, you've already brought the food into the country (although could be some ambiguity for places with pre-clearance like at Canadian airports for flights to the US).
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
about 24 years ago at IAD I got stopped bringing a fruit basket from my London hotel. The inspector told me to eat the fruit or he'd take it. I ate a banana and gave him the rest. The other day I was in ZRH and a group of Israelis came off the TLV flight with some "Arak" that wasn't in a properly sealed duty free bag for connecting flights, so they each took a few swigs of it and then gave the remaining bottle to the inspector. I was a little ticked off by this as I was behind them in line and they held me up and didn't even offer me any.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
By the time you arrive at the checkpoint, you've already brought the food into the country (although could be some ambiguity for places with pre-clearance like at Canadian airports for flights to the US).
I'm sure I have seen trash bins for food disposal at US customs/immigration in the past, although I can't recall more specifics. The idea, obviously, was the same as the disposal bins pre-TSA checkpoint: last chance to divest yourself of something prohibited.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by chollie
I'm sure I have seen trash bins for food disposal at US customs/immigration in the past, although I can't recall more specifics. The idea, obviously, was the same as the disposal bins pre-TSA checkpoint: last chance to divest yourself of something prohibited.
Yup, but I believe that, technically, those bins are a "safe harbor" - the violation has already occurred when you get off the plane.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Yup, but I believe that, technically, those bins are a "safe harbor" - the violation has already occurred when you get off the plane.
Although if you leave the food on the plane somehow it doesn't get into the country
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:32 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Section 107
Well, not quite. If you injest the food, especially if they watch you eat it, then you are still in possession of it until your body eliminates it. So, unless you eliminate it on the floor right there in front of them (which might or might not incur additional punitive/enforcement matters) when you cross the threshold, yes, you have brought it into the country.
...So shall I declare the orange I've eaten on the plane, then?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:00 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chollie
Analogous to the "Amnesty Bins" at OGG for those carrying forbidden fruit from the Mainland to HI.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:28 pm

I have had 3 situations:

Crossing by land and declared I had meat sandwiches for
personal consumption. Officer just waved me through and
said no problem.

Crossing by air and declared I had 1 sandwich with me for
personal consumption. Officer asked me multiple questions
about the dubious sandwich... finally let me through.

Advised on flight from US to Canada that I am not allowed to
take complimentary peanuts with me into Canada unless I consume
prior to entry. Does this not amount to the same thing?

Now, I travel without food when crossing international borders.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 4:26 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by pewpew
...So shall I declare the orange I've eaten on the plane, then?
Absurdly, I think yes, technically you are in violation if you dont declare it similarly as if you had injested baggies of drugs. In fact, drug mules will be incarcerated until they eliminate the contraband (glad I dont have the job of monitoring this). If they require you to not enter the country with it then you should ask if its alright to eliminate it right there in front of them.

Of course, I do not understand why they are not challenging flight crews for any prohibited foods still on the plane. Also, ood stuffs thrown away in the customs area can easily end up in a landfill with any potentially harmful parasites or fruit flies wandering off into the heartland and causing all sorts of problems. I do know that there is an incinerator at IAD for the destruction of prohibited stuff from the customs area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.