Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Let's say that 'they' want to check content of your USB drive...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's say that 'they' want to check content of your USB drive...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by saizai
...And yes, it can be used for whitehat research — e.g. on one's own devices to see how different things react.
Or perhaps it is intended to be used at one's destination for a perfectly legitimate purpose.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Legitimate use?

How about: "If someone steals my stuff it is designed to destroy either my laptop or their laptop."

Cool concept, BTW. Reminds me of a personalGPS jammer I ran across years ago. Back then it was "why would you need that?"...I bet you could sell them like hotcakes now!
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:40 pm
Suspended

I'm a computer security researcher. I wouldn't bring that into an airport personally.

If you read the details, it's got a bunch of capacitors soldered onto the board - kind of like a hand made taser. Sounds like a great way to get charged with smuggling a weapon.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
How about: "If someone steals my stuff it is designed to destroy either my laptop or their laptop."
The latter's not legal; the former is.

Reminds me of a personalGPS jammer I ran across years ago.
I suspect the FCC may not approve of that.

Originally Posted by greggarious
I'm a computer security researcher. I wouldn't bring that into an airport personally.

If you read the details, it's got a bunch of capacitors soldered onto the board - kind of like a hand made taser. Sounds like a great way to get charged with smuggling a weapon.
I probably wouldn't bring it either, but I'd defend someone doing so.

FWIW I've had (normal) peripherals that happened to degrade in such a way as to short out and power spike the USB port they were plugged in to. Not enough to damage, but enough to make the USB controller freak out and cut itself off.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 7:59 pm
Suspended

I probably wouldn't bring it either, but I'd defend someone doing so.

FWIW I've had (normal) peripherals that happened to degrade in such a way as to short out and power spike the USB port they were plugged in to. Not enough to damage, but enough to make the USB controller freak out and cut itself off.
Yes, but you're not strapping extra capacitors on. They might take a hard line with you, especially since capacitors literally explode if overcharged. And guess what, you can play armchair lawyer all day, but you're going to at LEAST spend the night in jail if your USB drive causes physical harm to CBP officer. More likely, they'll throw the book at you.

It wouldn't be something that an organization like ACLU or EFF would be likely to take up either, so even if found not guilty you'd probably drop at least $20K in lawyer's fees.
Old Apr 4, 2015, 12:27 am

Well, when the police come to arrest ME for damaging a thief's laptop, then *I* will know the name of the thief.

Oh, what law would I be breaking?

Perhaps.

Frankly if I was trying to jam a receiver within 20 ft I couldnt care less about the FCC
Old Apr 4, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by greggarious
Yes, but you're not strapping extra capacitors on. They might take a hard line with you, especially since capacitors literally explode if overcharged.
That level of explosion from such the OP device seems rather implausible to me. Let's stick to the more plausible scenario: it fries poorly protected electronics.

Oh, what law would I be breaking?
Intentional damage of someone else's property, which falls under various laws. Probably also the CFAA.

Frankly if I was trying to jam a receiver within 20 ft I couldnt care less about the FCC
*shrug* It's rare that that stuff gets enforced, but it's possible.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Your call, but given the commission's actions against people using cellular jammers (fines upward of $100k in a couple of cases), might be worth being cautious.

That said, why WOULD you want to jam someone else's GPS receiver?
Old Apr 7, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I dont want you to jam someone else's GPS receiver, I want you to want to jam someone else's GPS receiver.

(Movie reference; sorry, couldnt resist - goes with some of the government jobs I sometimes work with).
Old Apr 18, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Your call, but given the commission's actions against people using cellular jammers (fines upward of $100k in a couple of cases), might be worth being cautious.

My car's tracking system; a GPS installed by my employer; a GPS unit on a rental car/truck.

But in the way I was speaking earkier in the thread, if you are doing something serious enough to jam someone's GPS receiver, you are likely going to be breaking laws far more likely to be prosecuted then the crack investigative team at the FCC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.