Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Passengers Departing the US Searched for Drugs / Undeclared Money on Jet Bridge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passengers Departing the US Searched for Drugs / Undeclared Money on Jet Bridge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
I see stories of people caught with large amounts of cash fairly often.... yes, it's probably a very, very small percentage of those traveling. But people need to be searched to catch them anyway, even if it's not common.
Yes, because carrying cash is such a threat to national security. I'm sorry, but your willingness to be subjugated on the whim of any low paid, uneducated thug from CBP does not apply to the rest of us. These people are nothing more than criminals with a badge and are rightly deserving of scorn and disdain.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:17 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

What's with all the national security BS..... They are looking for smugglers (of currency in this case), just like they are supposed to do. And this on a frequent flyer site
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RTW1
What's with all the national security BS..... They are looking for smugglers (of currency in this case), just like they are supposed to do. And this on a frequent flyer site
Because "national security" is why the CBP is allowed to do what it does.

The governmental obsession about cash export was built to play in and into the national security debate -- the language of "drug money", "terrorist financing", "tax evasion" funding the drug or terrorism trades, and that sort of stuff is what the CBP uses to justify these fishing expeditions.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jphripjah
I think that's right; no requirement to declare diamonds that you are exporting. You would have to declare them if you were importing them from another country.
I'll have to ask my diamond-dealing family friends, but I don't recall there being a US export declaration generally required for diamond exports from the US. Diamond import regulations are, unlike with US cross-border cash movements, quite well removed from export regulations.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by VelvetJones
Yes, because carrying cash is such a threat to national security. I'm sorry, but your willingness to be subjugated on the whim of any low paid, uneducated thug from CBP does not apply to the rest of us. These people are nothing more than criminals with a badge and are rightly deserving of scorn and disdain.
Who said anything about national security? Can someone actually tied the original reasons for currency transaction reporting legislation to "national security?" As far as I can tell this dated back to 1970.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by seawolf
Who said anything about national security?
The government.

Can someone actually tied the original reasons for currency transaction reporting legislation to "national security?"
Yes, including the government. FinCEN even publicly has stated that they do what they do to "safeguard the financial system from illicit use, combat money laundering and promote national security". FinCEN 105 is the declaration form.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Asian American family stopped and searched

But was that the reason back in 1970?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I suspect the original reason included concern about tax evasion, although concerns about money laundering probably existed then as well. Concerns about the financing of terrorism have come later.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:44 pm
Suspended

National security has been the justification for exit control searches of various sorts going back into all of the 1970s too.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I suspect the original reason included concern about tax evasion, although concerns about money laundering probably existed then as well. Concerns about the financing of terrorism have come later.
Interedicting TNOC financing has been part of the picture in the 1970s too.

The history of what led to and was discussed during the pushing of bills to make the ironically-named Bank Secrecy Act into law is not a secret.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:15 pm

Do they search the value of wedding bands? What if my wedding band would be worth way over $ 10.000.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Primarily money laundering.

http:// http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/bsa/
Old Mar 14, 2015, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Interedicting TNOC financing has been part of the picture in the 1970s too
Please explain the initials TNOC. Common courtesy suggests that you use explain an ancronym in full before using it, especially if it is not in regular usage amongst the group (frequent flyers) with which you are conversing. I googled it and 'the network operations center' doesn't seem like a likely translation.

The history of what led to and was discussed during the pushing of bills to make the ironically-named Bank Secrecy Act into law is not a secret.
Agreed, although that doesn't mean I had access to the history of that legislation when I speculated that money laundering and tax evasion were more likely reasons for the passage of this bill than terrorism. That speculation was based on what seemed more likely significant considerations than terrorism at that time.

Last edited by You want to go where?; Mar 23, 2015 at 4:08 pm
Old Mar 15, 2015, 12:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Interedicting TNOC financing has been part of the picture in the 1970s too
Please explain the initials TNOC. Common courtesy suggests that you use explain an ancronym in full before using it, especially if it is not in regular usage amongst the group (frequent flyers) with which you are conversing. I googled it and 'the network operations center' doesn't seem like a likely translation.

Agreed, although that doesn't mean I had access to the history of that legislation when I speculated that money laundering and tax evasion were more likely reasons for the passage of this bill than terrorism. That speculation was based on what seemed more likely significant considerations than terrorism at that time.
Transnational organized crime.

Before FinCEN, and still, there is the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Before that the Division of Foreign Funds Control and before that the Office of International Finance. This US history goes in large part to show that the US has been engaged in currency and other asset export control measures using the national security paradigm since at least the era of the Woodrow Wilson Administration.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 15, 2015 at 1:26 am
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:38 am

Transnational organized crime.

Before FinCEN, and still, there is the Office of Foreign Assets Control. Before that the Division of Foreign Funds Control and before that the Office of International Finance. This US history goes in large part to show that the US has been engaged in currency and other asset export control measures using the national security paradigm since at least the era of the Woodrow Wilson Administration.
Thanks. Your knowledge seems to be upholding my incomplete understanding - that currency (and asset control) didn't originate with the 'war on terror' but really had more to do with other aspects, especially money laundering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.