Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Man Arrested After TSA Finds 200 Credit Cards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SM

From here:

The Sun-Sentinel reports that a 25-year-old New York man was arrested at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport on Sunday after TSA agents found several stacks of credit cards in his duffel bag.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Unless he was some sort of ninja and could throw them so they sliced open people's throats, I fail to see how this was a threat to aviation safety.

The man was clearly engaged in credit card fraud, but that's irrelevant to the TSA's mission.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Unless he was some sort of ninja and could throw them so they sliced open people's throats, I fail to see how this was a threat to aviation safety.

The man was clearly engaged in credit card fraud, but that's irrelevant to the TSA's mission.
Are you suggesting the agent/agents should have just ignored the cards once they found them?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Randyk47
Are you suggesting the agent/agents should have just ignored the cards once they found them?
Absolutely. The only legitimate purpose for the search is to protect the security of aviation. Anything found in the course of the search that doesn't pose a threat to aviation should be disregarded.

I'm well aware that the Ninth Circuit disagrees with me on this (see McCarty).
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:04 pm

Absolutely. The only legitimate purpose for the search is to protect the security of aviation. Anything found in the course of the search that doesn't pose a threat to aviation should be disregarded.

I'm well aware that the Ninth Circuit disagrees with me on this (see McCarty).
I agree the search should be to protect the security of aviation and any search started for any other reason is unreasonable. However, if in the course of searching to protect the security of aviation they find other potentially illegal items then I have no trouble with them bringing that to the immediate attention of the appropriate law enforcement.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Credit/bank/debit/gift card churning gone out of control?

62 cards with one of two named people doesn't strike me as impossible in non-illegal circumstamces. The rest of the cards as blanks does seem possibly more suspicious, but the TSA should not be wasting time and getting distracted by non-WEIs such as this -- and yet that is what they did, lose focus.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suspect the stacks of cards confused the x-ray guy.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree the search should be to protect the security of aviation and any search started for any other reason is unreasonable. However, if in the course of searching to protect the security of aviation they find other potentially illegal items then I have no trouble with them bringing that to the immediate attention of the appropriate law enforcement.
So long as the search procedures are actually aimed at security and not a stealth violation of the 4th.

I object to the body imaging scanners because of this--they're ineffective against properly concealed metal and thus less effective than the WTMD at providing actual security. I think they're more aimed at drugs.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I suspect the stacks of cards confused the x-ray guy.
I have zero problem with the TSA saying "can't identify what this item is in the x-ray, we need to do a bag check to clarify." Once it was identified that the item in question wasn't dangerous, however, the TSA's job was done.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:10 am
Suspended

Like any other rent-a-cops, TSA bullies imagine themselves as LEOs, and abuse the power they imagine they have. I too have seen it, and been a victim of it. The opportunity for the public to complain or seek redress is limited and in most cases useless.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I have zero problem with the TSA saying "can't identify what this item is in the x-ray, we need to do a bag check to clarify." Once it was identified that the item in question wasn't dangerous, however, the TSA's job was done.
I have to disagree. I think that anyone who is employed by the government who encounters evidence of a crime has a duty to report the crime to the appropriate authorities. (I would add, especially if the crime is one being perpetrated by other government officials, although I know that is not the case, here.)

However, as you point out the TSA's mission is not in the general prevention of crime but specifically the threat to aviation security. So, TSA should not be publicizing their identification and reporting of crime unless it is directly related to aviation security nor accumulating statistics on it. This avoids the risk of conflating the mission which you are rightly concerned about.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
So, TSA should not be publicizing their identification and reporting of crime unless it is directly related to aviation security nor accumulating statistics on it. This avoids the risk of conflating the mission which you are rightly concerned about.
That makes sense. I'm sure they want to come off as "value added" beyond flight security so they use catching other potential criminal acts as material for what they see as positive PR. It obviously doesn't sell universally.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:16 pm

That makes sense. I'm sure they want to come off as "value added" beyond flight security so they use catching other potential criminal acts as material for what they see as positive PR. It obviously doesn't sell universally.
and that is exactly where the problems come from. As soon as they start marketing this 'value add', it becomes tempting to them to think of their searches from the start as looking beyond air safety and security and straying into unreasonable search and seizure.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by You want to go where?
and that is exactly where the problems come from. As soon as they start marketing this 'value add', it becomes tempting to them to think of their searches from the start as looking beyond air safety and security and straying into unreasonable search and seizure.
I can easily see that happening. Locally it's not a problem....at least not for my wife and I....and actually I can't remember ever going through what I considered an unreasonable search but then again we probably don't meet or fit their "profile". PreCheck and Federal ID's make getting through security pretty easy for us so we're maybe not typical.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:27 pm

I can easily see that happening. Locally it's not a problem....at least not for my wife and I....and actually I can't remember ever going through what I considered an unreasonable search but then again we probably don't meet or fit their "profile". PreCheck and Federal ID's make getting through security pretty easy for us so we're maybe not typical.
It hasn't been a personal problem for me and I don't have PreCheck. It is more of a broader civil rights/ethical concern for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.