Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Philly flyer arrested trying to file a TSA complaint

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Philly flyer arrested trying to file a TSA complaint

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2015, 10:48 pm

I'm rather inclined to start insisting on a witness for all interactions with TSA. Patdown in public? Witness. TSA wants to swab my property? Witness. TSA wants to search my luggage? Witness. Asking a question of a TSA employee? Witness.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:53 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by 777Pax
Unfortunately, this is all too characteristic of some in law enforcement.

I am a middle-aged, professional, white guy. Once, I was hand-cuffed and put into a police car while walking along a city street one day (probably 7-8am) because I "mathced the description" of someone who had been reported minutes earlier as having vandalized several cars on another nearby street.

Luckily, I was taken to the persons who had lodged the complaint and it was confirmed that I wasn't the perp. However, the few minutes leading up to that point (including being Mirandized; patted; cuffed; and hauled off in a squad car) made me realize that all the things that I'd been told by my parents as a kid about law enforcement being on your side weren't necessarily true.

While I know there are two (or more) sides to any story, my experience and the one in the article, and many others like them, make me really really question whether the police are telling the full, true story in cases like Michael Brown and the many others of recent times.
Might I suggest you edit your post and remove the Micheal Brown reference. I was totally with you until that last, very stupid inference.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Read The Propaganda Carefully...

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA's Blogger Bob has posted an article on the TSA Blog justifying the supervisors action.
... and you'll note that Blogdad Bob wrote exactly one paragraph remotely connected to the harassment of the guy at PHL:

Our officers examining the X-ray of a passenger’s carry-on bag saw a PVC pipe capped at both ends with unidentified items, including something that looked like a watch, placed inside. They also saw batteries and an unidentified organic mass in the same bag. Components of a possible improvised explosive device? If you were the officers, what would you do? Based on the items in the carry-on bag and interaction with the passenger, they contacted the Philadelphia Police Department. A responding PPD officer decided to place the passenger under arrest. TSA screening personnel do not have the legal authority to place any passenger under arrest and they did not do so in this case.
The rest of his post is pure fluff. The weekly gun rap sheet will push this off the page by the middle of next week.

Back in the linked post, he wrote this one shorter paragraph:

Suspicious Image At PHL – An ominous image was discovered on the X-ray monitor at Philadelphia (PHL). It appeared to be a possible pipe bomb. While screening the bag, the passenger became upset and stated: “I can bring a bomb through here any day I want and you will never find it.” The item ended up being a GPS watch inside a PVC pipe with two end caps. Philadelphia Police responded and arrested him on a state charge.
This adds nothing to the discussion, as one might expect. However, I'm surprised, with on-going litigation, that Francine allowed him to publish an official document that can only serve to hurt their defense even more. I really can't explain the motivation behind the TSA taking one more shot at the passenger. They didn't even mention anything about the court case or the perjury - or even try to defend their scumbag supervisor clerk.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Schmurrr
I'm rather inclined to start insisting on a witness for all interactions with TSA. Patdown in public? Witness. TSA wants to swab my property? Witness. TSA wants to search my luggage? Witness. Asking a question of a TSA employee? Witness.
I already do this informally. Every time I go through security, I watch how others are treated and what is going on. As I put myself back together after the CP, I watch the pat down areas. I do this specifically to be able to step up and be a witness if I serendipitously end up in a position where I can be one. I would do it in a New York minute is it becomes a possibility.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
... and you'll note that Blogdad Bob wrote exactly one paragraph remotely connected to the harassment of the guy at PHL:

The rest of his post is pure fluff. The weekly gun rap sheet will push this off the page by the middle of next week.
And the paragraph itself was lies. 2 years after the arrest, and after the judge found the passenger innocent immediately after hearing the clerk's testimony, clerk Bob talks about the "arrest" of the passenger. and then says "Based on the items in the carry-on bag and interaction with the passenger, they contacted the Philadelphia Police Department." That's a lie. It had already been proven in court that they didn't contact the police "based on the items in the carry-on bag", and it was likewise proven in court that the "interaction with the passenger" was the passenger's request to file a complaint. By saying "interaction with the passenger," Clerk Bob is deliberately misleading.

He did the same sort of thing in the Phil Mocek case. Vanderklok should add him to the case, add a count of libel and add him to the case in his personal capacity.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FliesWay2Much
This adds nothing to the discussion, as one might expect. However, I'm surprised, with on-going litigation, that Francine allowed him to publish an official document that can only serve to hurt their defense even more.
Well, we are talking about Francine, aren't we?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not clear to me if testimony was just the verbal offering by the TSA Supervisor or if the checkpoint video was also played impeaching the TSA employee.

I can easily imagine a different outcome if the video had not been available which seems to be the usual case when TSA is involved.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Feb 7, 2015 at 6:41 am
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Well, we are talking about Francine, aren't we?
Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
And the paragraph itself was lies. 2 years after the arrest, and after the judge found the passenger innocent immediately after hearing the clerk's testimony, clerk Bob talks about the "arrest" of the passenger. and then says "Based on the items in the carry-on bag and interaction with the passenger, they contacted the Philadelphia Police Department." That's a lie. It had already been proven in court that they didn't contact the police "based on the items in the carry-on bag", and it was likewise proven in court that the "interaction with the passenger" was the passenger's request to file a complaint. By saying "interaction with the passenger," Clerk Bob is deliberately misleading.

He did the same sort of thing in the Phil Mocek case. Vanderklok should add him to the case, add a count of libel and add him to the case in his personal capacity.
^^
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I already do this informally. Every time I go through security, I watch how others are treated and what is going on. As I put myself back together after the CP, I watch the pat down areas. I do this specifically to be able to step up and be a witness if I serendipitously end up in a position where I can be one. I would do it in a New York minute is it becomes a possibility.
^^^

You're the best, Ink! I'm going to start doing this as well.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
I hope Vanderklok wins the law suit that was filed on his behalf last week, and that a certain TSA supervisor spends the rest of his life in abject poverty!
I agree with that. He will eventually wins. He had no reason to be arrested. He want to file complaints from TSA.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by chollie
^^^

You're the best, Ink! I'm going to start doing this as well.
Me, too! It's a fantastic idea.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:57 am

Here's an update on Vanderklok's case against the TSA:

TSA stalling

But last month, U.S. District Judge Gerald Pappert ruled that there was enough evidence potentially favorable to Vanderklok that his case against Kieser could proceed to trial.

That was supposed to happen last Thursday, but at the last minute, the TSA appealed the ruling. So Vanderklok's quest for justice has once again been kicked down the road.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:29 am

Not sure about "last month" and a ruling, but from google scholar I found this:

August 16, 2016

Before the Court is Kieser's motion for summary judgment on the three remaining claims against him: First Amendment retaliatory prosecution, Fourth Amendment malicious prosecution and Fourth Amendment unconstitutional search and seizure. Vanderklok does not oppose Kieser's motion with respect to his Fourth Amendment unconstitutional search and seizure count. The Court accordingly grants Kieser's motion with respect to that count only. For the reasons that follow, the Court denies Kieser's motion with respect to Vanderklok's First Amendment retaliatory prosecution and Fourth Amendment malicious prosecution claims.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Here's an update on Vanderklok's case against the TSA:

TSA stalling

What I read is worse than stalling. It borders on incompetence.

Kieser is represented by 2 United States Attorney (US Attorney Office) and it appears private firm. Kieser is claiming "qualified immunity"; this defense essentially is that a right of an individual was not clearly established so as to put the State actor on notice that her conduct violated individual rights.

Kieser, claims is that it is not clearly established "that falsely accusing someone of a crime for wishing to make a complaint was unlawful."

Thankfully the Court had a nice statement about that "qualified immunity is intended to give "ample room for mistaken judgments by protecting all but the plainly incompetent or those who knowingly violate the law")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.