Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Philly flyer arrested trying to file a TSA complaint

Philly flyer arrested trying to file a TSA complaint

Old Feb 5, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA ExPlt, UA Gold, HH Diamond
Unfortunately, this is all too characteristic of some in law enforcement.

I am a middle-aged, professional, white guy. Once, I was hand-cuffed and put into a police car while walking along a city street one day (probably 7-8am) because I "mathced the description" of someone who had been reported minutes earlier as having vandalized several cars on another nearby street.

Luckily, I was taken to the persons who had lodged the complaint and it was confirmed that I wasn't the perp. However, the few minutes leading up to that point (including being Mirandized; patted; cuffed; and hauled off in a squad car) made me realize that all the things that I'd been told by my parents as a kid about law enforcement being on your side weren't necessarily true.

While I know there are two (or more) sides to any story, my experience and the one in the article, and many others like them, make me really really question whether the police are telling the full, true story in cases like Michael Brown and the many others of recent times.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
"At trial, Kieser was the first and only witness to testify. Municipal Judge Felice Stack acquitted Vanderklok of all charges within minutes of hearing Kieser's testimony."

I'm curious to know further details of Kieser's bogus testimony which led this rational Judge to an instant acquittal without having seen the video or hearing from any other witnesses.

This story is sickening.
If you google Felice Stack, you will find that she was "not recommended" for re-election by the state bar going all the way back to 1993. But she's married to a ward leader. And sadly, still on the bench.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold
In Singapore, contrary to what the sensationalist media portrays, we're friendly to everyone until they break the law or disrupt the status quo. It's a great country to live in long as you're not a free speech advocate or a graffiti artist Note: does not reflect the writer's personal views, for which you'll have to buy him a drink.

Originally Posted by jbb
This is an awful, infuriating story and I really hope the media attention forces someone at the TSA and police to be held accountable for this gross miscarriage of authority... the fact this even made it to trial is appalling. Unfortunately, this story does not seem to be unique and is only one of countless similar events which have made it to the press and not resulted in any meaningful change in training and tone at US airports (be it at the TSA or CBP).

The Singapore example above is notable. Singapore immigration officers tend to smile and they also offer a candy dish for you to help yourself. It's just such a stark contrast to how they view their roles versus CBP in the US. Yes, in Singapore, they are professionals and doing a serious job, but they feel they can do that without intentionally being intimidating and with the trappings of a paramilitary-esque police force.

I get it CBP officers, you're defending the border. But you are also the first point of contact with the US and employees of the US government, and are thus particularly representative of the country. Being professional, doing your job well and also being friendly and welcoming to legitimate visitors and returning citizens are not mutually exclusive.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLisa
If you google Felice Stack, you will find that she was "not recommended" for re-election by the state bar going all the way back to 1993. But she's married to a ward leader. And sadly, still on the bench.
The state bar doesn't say how or why they came up with that recommendation so little weight can be given to the bar's recommendation.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by RogerMurdock
"At trial, Kieser was the first and only witness to testify. Municipal Judge Felice Stack acquitted Vanderklok of all charges within minutes of hearing Kieser's testimony."

I'm curious to know further details of Kieser's bogus testimony which led this rational Judge to an instant acquittal without having seen the video or hearing from any other witnesses.

This story is sickening.
Maybe she'd been groped by the TSA.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by PHLisa
That would imply she made a mistake or bad decision in dismissing the charges. ????? I don't think she did.

Last edited by Randyk47; Feb 5, 2015 at 6:10 pm
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSA's Blogger Bob has posted an article on the TSA Blog justifying the supervisors action.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:21 am

The TSA blog is now saying that the passenger had something in his bag that looked like a pipe bomb so that's why he was arrested.

"pipe bomb"
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:24 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
TSA's Blogger Bob has posted an article on the TSA Blog justifying the supervisors action.
I wouldn't put it that way. I would say "dancing around and covering up the clerk's actions." He tries to pain a scary scenario, and leaves out information. He says the clerk called the police "based on the contents of the bag and the interaction with the passenger" - leaving out the fact that the contents of the bag were known, and that the interaction with the passenger was that the passenger wanted to file a complaint. He also presents a picture of a piece of pipe like that in which the passenger stored his watch, above (gasp) a picture of an actual pipe bomb.

In my comment in response I told him I had pipe in my house and wanted to know if I should have it taken out.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
"trying to justify" or perhaps "trying desperately to justify"
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
I wouldn't put it that way. I would say "dancing around and covering up the clerk's actions." He tries to pain a scary scenario, and leaves out information. He says the clerk called the police "based on the contents of the bag and the interaction with the passenger" - leaving out the fact that the contents of the bag were known, and that the interaction with the passenger was that the passenger wanted to file a complaint. He also presents a picture of a piece of pipe like that in which the passenger stored his watch, above (gasp) a picture of an actual pipe bomb.

In my comment in response I told him I had pipe in my house and wanted to know if I should have it taken out.
I would and did!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson

If they thought they had a pipe bomb, why wasn't the terminal evacuated? Bob is desperate to make it sound as if, once again, the passenger was at fault.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 8:53 am

Thank God we have Blogger Bob to straighten things out for us.
Your tax dollars at work. He should have worked for Bush during the
Scooter Libby scandal; he's a much smoother pathological liar
than Ari Fleischer. It seems to be so natural.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by wetrat0
He certainly should get it back. Bail funds are held as a guarantee that you will appear in court, so he should get it back as long as he appeared when he was supposed to (the verdict doesn't matter).
In several locales, you can pay bail with a credit card. Maybe we should move this thread to Manufactured Spend? Don't know if they refund the balance to your credit card or send you a check.

Originally Posted by AllieKat
No, if you read they paid 10% of it. That probably means that they paid a bail bond company to put up the full amount. You don't see a penny back. The 10% is their interest charge on the loan of the bail money.
Hmm, have to remember not to post with bond company.

Mike
Old Feb 6, 2015, 12:43 pm

Here's the complaint Mr. Vanderklok filed:

https://consumermediallc.files.wordp...02/tsasuit.pdf

"After a thorough check of his bag, and after TSA personnel were sure that there was nothing improper, dangerous or illegal in his bag, the TSA supervisor gave Mr. Vanderklok his bag back...."
So if his bag was given back to him, when and why did the TSA remove the PVC capped pipe to photograph it? Or did they? Is this a manufactured pipe for the purposes of trying to justify the screener's actions?

If they did remove it after it was returned to Mr. Vanderklok, isn't that theft if Mr. Vanderklok had been turned over to the Philadelphia PD?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.