Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2015

This week in TSA history starting January 1, 2015

Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:36 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
I'm sure it will show up in next week's installment, but got a chuckle out of the recent post by Flying with Fish showing the "knife concealed as a gun" that was discovered by TSA. Whatever you think of TSA, this is truly lol-worthy on the part of the passenger.

Never bring a knife to a gun fight
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Schmurrr
Sure!

I reported an instance of repeated censorship of a post that was compliant with blog guidelines. I'm going to try posting it again in a couple of days to see if it gets through.

I also reported TSA Blog staff's continued unwillingness to address problems with the reCAPTCHA in use at the time. How can the public effectively participate in the blog when it usually takes half a dozen or more tries to pass the reCAPTCHA challenge? I realize Google is partly at fault for inaccessible reCAPTCHA, but TSA has a responsibility to use a platform that is accessible. The current reCAPTCHA is better visually, but the audio option is effectively unintelligible.
The audio option has to be intelligible to a human but not to a bot, that is much easier said than done. Yes, I get the accessibility issues, but without CAPTCHAs the Internet would be unusable.

Update - there used to be some INSANELY hard audio reCAPTCHAs but I knew Google was working on it. I just requested about a dozen, from a handful of different IP addresses through the world in incognito browser sessions (no cookies to help verify me). In each case, I got VERY easy audio reCAPTCHAs.

I cannot imagine that if you are logged into a Google account, from a "typical" (non-data centre) IP address, that you would be getting difficult audio reCAPTCHAs. Can you post details of your setup (ISP, any VPN you may use [which might greatly increase your odds of almost unintelligible audio], if you're signed in to your Google account, etc)

Last edited by AllieKat; Feb 13, 2015 at 1:44 pm
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
TSA Week in Review: Friday, February 13, 2015

Just more of the same mishegas...

• 49 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • Inert Ordnance and Grenades
  • An inert hand grenade was detected in a carry-on bag at Raleigh Durham (RDU).
  • An replica grenade used as a stick shift attachment was detected in a carry-on bag at Oakland (OAK).
  • 19 stun guns were discovered in carry-on bags this week.
  • Miscellaneous Prohibited Items

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015_02_13_archive.html
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:36 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: Friday, February 20, 2015

Another week of the SSDD tho there is a unique way to go fishing up in Alaska

• 34 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • Inert Ordnance and Grenades etc
  • Two inert grenades were discovered in carry-on bags this week at Indianapolis (IND) and Anchorage (Inert Grenade Fishing Lure) (ANC).
  • Several inert training fireworks were discovered at Phoenix (PHX).
21 stun guns were discovered in carry-on bags this week.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/02/tsa-week...rms-inert.html
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: Friday, February 27, 2015

And the Secret Service wrestled the airbag to the ground...

• 59 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • Modified Laptop at FLL
  • This modified laptop appeared as a potential threat item on the X-ray monitor, and a result, the airport incurred a 49 minute evacuation of the checked baggage screening area while explosive detection professionals cleared the item
  • Airbag - An airbag was discovered in a carry-on bag in Sacramento (SMF).
  • Artfully Concealed Prohibited Items
  • A folding knife was detected inside the battery compartment of a flashlight in a carry-on bag at Minneapolis - St. Paul (MSP)
  • 11 stun guns were discovered this week in carry-on bags.

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/02/tsa-week...-firearms.html
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

TSA Week In Review: Friday, March 6, 2015

And the Secret Service wrestled the Chihuahua to the ground.....

• A Chihuahua was discovered in a checked bag at NY LaGuardia (apparently, the dog climbed in while its owner was packing her suitcas
  • 55 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • 13 stun guns were discovered in carry-on bags this week
  • two 10-inch blade billhook knives were discovered in a carry-on bag this week at the McAllen Miller International Airport (MFE) in Texas
  • Ammunition was discovered in a carry-on bag at Oklahoma City (OKC)
  • TSA officers have discovered firearms at security checkpoints in 41 of 50 states so far this year

http://blog.tsa.gov/2015/03/tsa-week...-firearms.html
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by goalie
And the Secret Service wrestled the Chihuahua to the ground.....[*]A Chihuahua was discovered in a checked bag at NY LaGuardia (apparently, the dog climbed in while its owner was packing her suitcas
I just have to ask ... how does one not notice a DOG in your suitcase?

I guess the TSA couldn't prove deliberate intent to harm the dog, nor was he a threat to aviation security, so they just decided to let her go and have the twitterverse decide.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lostinthewash
I just have to ask ... how does one not notice a DOG in your suitcase?

I guess the TSA couldn't prove deliberate intent to harm the dog, nor was he a threat to aviation security, so they just decided to let her go and have the twitterverse decide.
It's beyond me as the last thing I do before I walk out the door (traveling or simply going out) is to tell the cat* to take care of the house and that I'll see her when I get home-not only to tell her where I'm going but to also know where she is before I leave

*and Courtney is larger than a Chihuahua
Old Mar 10, 2015, 4:19 pm

It's beyond me as the last thing I do before I walk out the door (traveling or simply going out) is to tell the cat* to take care of the house and that I'll see her when I get home-not only to tell her where I'm going but to also know where she is before I leave

*and Courtney is larger than a Chihuahua
My toy poodle Jennie would climb in my suitcase and curl up on my robe as soon as I packed it because that's where she normally slept. I would always toss my robe on the end of the bed before climbing under the covers and leave it there until the next night. I would always find her there, curled up on my robe when I woke up or came home from work.

I wish I would have taken her along with me on my last trip to Alabama. She escaped out of my back yard gate which was left open by a utility worker, and she got hit by a car while trying to dash across the street to get back home.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by DeafBlonde
My toy poodle Jennie would climb in my suitcase and curl up on my robe as soon as I packed it because that's where she normally slept. I would always toss my robe on the end of the bed before climbing under the covers and leave it there until the next night. I would always find her there, curled up on my robe when I woke up or came home from work.

I wish I would have taken her along with me on my last trip to Alabama. She escaped out of my back yard gate which was left open by a utility worker, and she got hit by a car while trying to dash across the street to get back home.
I am so so sorry to hear that. Did your little one survive or what?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by tanja
I am so so sorry to hear that. Did your little one survive or what?
A friend of mine was staying at my house while I was gone. He let my two poodles out into the back yard to potty, but when he went to let them back in the house, he found out they had escaped. He went out to round them up. When he went across the street to get Jennie, she took off toward my house instead of coming to him. She was killed instantly when a pick-up truck struck her.

My friend was heartsick because he adored Jennie (everyone that knew her adored her, she was just that kind of dog). The driver of the truck was also upset because he didn't see her in time to stop. A very sad situation, indeed.

On the bright side, my other poodle (male) had not crossed the street, so he was alright.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: Friday, March 13, 2015

Nothing to see here other than weapons and drugs so please move along

• 39 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • A replica grenade was discovered in a carry-on bag at Watertown International (ART). It pulled apart to reveal a screwdriver and bit set
  • 17 clear vacuum sealed plastic bags of marijuana were discovered in two carry-on bags this week at Oakland (OAK)
  • 22 stun guns were discovered this week in carry-on bags

Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: Friday, March 20, 2015

Lots of pretty pictures of items that should have been found and were so we have yet another week of TSA self-promotion for simply doing their job

• 45 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • A folding credit card knife was discovered concealed in a cardboard instant coffee container in a carry-on bag at Bishop International (FNT).
  • A lipstick stun gun was discovered in a carry-on bag at Chicago Midway (MDW).
20 stun guns were discovered this week in carry-on bags

Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:08 am
Original Poster

TSA Week in Review: Friday, March 27, 2015

We don't need no stinking mustaches....

• 53 Firearms Discovered This Week
  • Three replica grenades were discovered this week. Two were grenade-shaped cologne bottles discovered in carry-on bags at Denver (DEN) and Tampa (TPA). The third was a hot sauce container designed to look like a flash-bang grenade. It was discovered in a carry-on bag at Chicago O’Hare (ORD).
  • A grenade shaped homemade firework was discovered in a carry-on bag at San Francisco (SFO)
  • A live smoke grenade was discovered in a checked bag at Las Vegas (LAS).
  • A four-inch belt buckle knife was discovered in a carry-on bag at New York Kennedy (JFK).
  • 18 stun guns were discovered this week in carry-on bags
  • Miscellaneous Prohibited Items
*looks like the TSA isn't doing a good job of protecting the privacy of the traveler in question as there's enough information visible to identify them

Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

*looks like the TSA isn't doing a good job of protecting the privacy of the traveler in question as there's enough information visible to identify them

I saw that as well. I quickly found out that "999" was Southwest 999. If I knew someone or spent some time on line, I probably could have easily used the PNR to find out who the artful concealer was. (Wonder how many SPOTNik points that earned?)

I also got a kick out of the fact that Blogdad Bob and our new buddy, Ross, had almost identical posts hawking the PreCheck extortion tacket.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.