Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Employee Help Smuggle Guns On Board

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2015, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by BSBD
Well guess what? I flew out of ATL this past Thursday, and all the airport sterile area workers were being sent down the North Security line into the AIT scanner.
Is it coincidental that Thursday was also the day that Jeh Johnson traveled to Atlanta to discuss security screening for airport workers? Like Gibbs, I don't believe in such coincidences.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
Is it coincidental that Thursday was also the day that Jeh Johnson traveled to Atlanta to discuss security screening for airport workers? Like Gibbs, I don't believe in such coincidences.
Surely the ATL FSD wouldn't put on dog & pony show just to impress Jeh. Say its not true.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Surely the ATL FSD wouldn't put on dog & pony show just to impress Jeh. Say its not true.
1) Just a test, been in the planning for a long time, what a coincidence.

2) TSOs apparently still get a free ride based on a background check. Well, it's not like they've caught errant TSOs abusing their privileged unfettered access to the sterile areas.

3) Wasn't ATL the airport where a news release showed cases of drinks bypassing security to get to the sterile area? Sealed drinks that could contain who-knows-what (as officials in AMS found out). Perhaps Jeh's predecessor assessed the situation and decided the best way to address the perceived risk was to double-down on pax secondaries.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
1) Just a test, been in the planning for a long time, what a coincidence.

2) TSOs apparently still get a free ride based on a background check. Well, it's not like they've caught errant TSOs abusing their privileged unfettered access to the sterile areas.

3) Wasn't ATL the airport where a news release showed cases of drinks bypassing security to get to the sterile area? Sealed drinks that could contain who-knows-what (as officials in AMS found out). Perhaps Jeh's predecessor assessed the situation and decided the best way to address the perceived risk was to double-down on pax secondaries.
DFW again, l was going through security when a vendor employee rolled in a cart with twenty or so cases of beverages. He was waived around all screening by a TSA employee.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 12:04 pm

DFW again, l was going through security when a vendor employee rolled in a cart with twenty or so cases of beverages. He was waived around all screening by a TSA employee.
Interesting double standards.

In HKG, there is a second security check for US-bound flights only. Even liquids clearly purchased inside the sterile area are confiscated to satisfy stringent US standards. I've had the same thing happen at AMS, supposedly because the US doesn't trust foreign airports to reliably screen vendor goods entering the sterile area.

Indeed, that's the real issue behind the new duty-free regs. Prior to the change, you purchased duty-free inside a sterile area outside the US and promptly got it confiscated on arrival in the US, sometimes even if you are arriving at your final destination and have no need or desire to enter the sterile area of the airport (ATL).

I wonder if the manufacturer(s) and government flacks who continue to push the efficacy of resealable baggies at the checkpoint have a financial stake in the tamper-proof duty-free baggie used to further protect tamper-proof bottles of liquor and perfume. The only way I'll ever be able to buy a bottle of water for a longhaul flight home will be if duty-free starts selling water and making it safe by putting it in one of their armored bags.

We don't screen them either, but hey - we give out background checks like candy.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting double standards.

In HKG, there is a second security check for US-bound flights only. Even liquids clearly purchased inside the sterile area are confiscated to satisfy stringent US standards. I've had the same thing happen at AMS, supposedly because the US doesn't trust foreign airports to reliably screen vendor goods entering the sterile area.

Indeed, that's the real issue behind the new duty-free regs. Prior to the change, you purchased duty-free inside a sterile area outside the US and promptly got it confiscated on arrival in the US, sometimes even if you are arriving at your final destination and have no need or desire to enter the sterile area of the airport (ATL).

I wonder if the manufacturer(s) and government flacks who continue to push the efficacy of resealable baggies at the checkpoint have a financial stake in the tamper-proof duty-free baggie used to further protect tamper-proof bottles of liquor and perfume. The only way I'll ever be able to buy a bottle of water for a longhaul flight home will be if duty-free starts selling water and making it safe by putting it in one of their armored bags.

We don't screen them either, but hey - we give out background checks like candy.
I saw a TSA screener with a large rolling brief case at the D gates terminal at LAS. Big enough to transport all manner of contraband inside the security zone. Machine pistol, small bomb, chemical agents, who knows what else.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Not "US-bound flights only" but also for Australia-bound flights.

And it also happens at SIN, DXB, AUH and other airports (but not all - I think NRT is okay.) Been discussed on some thread or another before.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the news today. TSA is stepping up screening of >passengers< including more gate checks.

TSA Stepping Up Security After Paris Attacks

http://www.nbcmiami.com/on-air/as-se...288329601.html
Old Jan 13, 2015, 11:02 am

In the news today. TSA is stepping up screening of >passengers< including more gate checks.

TSA Stepping Up Security After Paris Attacks

http://www.nbcmiami.com/on-air/as-se...288329601.html
(sigh)

No mention of additional screening for airport employees and TSOs.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(sigh)

No mention of additional screening for airport employees and TSOs.
Noticed that did you? Also in one report was a concern for non-metallic explosives indicating MORE WBI use was needed. How that relates to increased Gate Screening evades me.

No proof but I'm betting that WBI will become a standard feature of Pre Check lanes as we go forward.

For what ever reason TSA seems unable to grasp that threat vectors are not limited to passengers.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:51 pm

No proof but I'm betting that WBI will become a standard feature of Pre Check lanes as we go forward.
Not saying you're wrong, but ... if it does, then there's practically no benefit to PreCheck.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jkhuggins
Not saying you're wrong, but ... if it does, then there's practically no benefit to PreCheck.
The ability to keep laptops and liquids in the cabin bag on the X-ray belt will still be there, along with lower odds of a shoe carnival; and the line will move faster than the non-PreCheck LLL lines.

I can't see how allowing for coats to remain on will work as well with the strip-search machines as with the WTMD -- coats-on will slow things down big time, and the automated anomaly/targeting detection will have a harder time in being "effective" even in its current performance range.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The ability to keep laptops and liquids in the cabin bag on the X-ray belt will still be there, along with lower odds of a shoe carnival; and the line will move faster than the non-PreCheck LLL lines.

I can't see how allowing for coats to remain on will work as well with the strip-search machines as with the WTMD -- coats-on will slow things down big time, and the automated anomaly/targeting detection will have a harder time in being "effective" even in its current performance range.
Well, if coats have to come off for a good NoS scan, then how long before shoes have to come off? Or pockets have to be emptied completely?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkhuggins
I think the ratio of Pre Check passengers being pulled for increased level screening will increase.

What should really tick people off is increased gate screenings. That type of screening offers little value of increased security and wastes resources that should be used to screen insiders.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 7:14 am

What should really tick people off is ...
As opposed to the last ten years? If people aren't "really ticked off" by now, they never will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.