FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
TSA Background Checks: Only certain felonies are disqualifying offenses

Amazing update from a local ATL televlsion station:

WSB-TV:
Man accused of smuggling guns at airport was convicted felon

Posted: 6:40 p.m. Monday, Jan. 5, 2015

A short excerpt:
[Channel 2 investigative reporter Mark Winne] learned that this is not Henry's [the Delta Baggage Handler accused of smuggling guns at ATL] first encounter with the law. He found records indicating that Henry was charged in 1993 and pleaded guilty in 1996 to a federal charge of making a false statement to a firearms dealer.

“Someone with that credential with Delta could be checking baggage for firearms for explosives. It’s kind of like having the fox in the henhouse,” [former Atlanta Police Department airport shift commander Lt. Tony Biello] said.

A spokesperson with the Transportation Security Administration said background checks are completed for everyone with access to secure areas of the airport, such as baggage handlers and ramp agents.

But the TSA said making a false statement to a firearms dealer is not one of the disqualifying offenses listed in federal regulations
Anyone have the list of disqualifying offenses? If those are really listed in federal regulations, then they cannot be SSI.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
Amazing update from a local ATL televlsion station:

WSB-TV:
Man accused of smuggling guns at airport was convicted felon

Posted: 6:40 p.m. Monday, Jan. 5, 2015

A short excerpt:

Anyone have the list of disqualifying offenses? If those are really listed in federal regulations, then they cannot be SSI.
I would think that any federal conviction would be reason to not pass a background check or be issued credentials to enter a security area.

Apparently TSA operates with something other than normal security standards.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
I wonder how the TSA standards for 'qualifying/dis-qualifying' offenses compares to the standards applied to GE/NEXUS/SENTRI/Pre applicants?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chollie
I wonder how the TSA standards for 'qualifying/dis-qualifying' offenses compares to the standards applied to GE/NEXUS/SENTRI/Pre applicants?
While I don't know for a fact I'd be willing to bet a coke that none of those are going to happen if the applicant had a felony conviction.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 8:19 pm

Programs: TSA
The list is here: http://www.flightsimaviation.com/dat...t_107-209.html
Old Jan 8, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eyecue
Thanks for the point to this document.

From an up thread link:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...icted-f/njgmx/

But the TSA said making a false statement to a firearms dealer is not one of the disqualifying offenses listed in federal regulations

And from the link eyecue provided:

http://www.flightsimaviation.com/dat...t_107-209.html

Disqualifying criminal offenses...........

(26) A felony involving--

(v) Dishonesty, fraud, or misrepresentation;

So we know this guy was convicted on a federal felony charge yet he cleared the high TSA security standards.

I do not see how TSA can claim that TSA is not at fault for every bit of this security failure.

TSA allows employee access without screening either by TSA directly or other security workers.

TSA doesn't ensure that background checks for airport workers are effective and meet published standards.

There should be a very hard look at all TSA programs and some senior (SES level) DHS/TSA employees need to be held accountable for this failure up to and including criminal charges.

Last edited by Boggie Dog; Jan 8, 2015 at 7:41 am
Old Jan 8, 2015, 11:44 am

Chuckie Cheese Schumer (D Sen., NY) last night called for security screening of everybody who works in the "secure" area of an airport.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/s...-guns-28056574

Also:

The Department of Homeland Security, which includes the TSA, said later Wednesday that Secretary Jeh Johnson shares those concerns and will go to the Atlanta airport Thursday to meet with TSA and airport stakeholders. The trip is intended "to help assess potential vulnerabilities related to site security at airports nationwide behind the sterile area," spokeswoman Marsha Catron said.

Last edited by petaluma1; Jan 8, 2015 at 5:49 pm Reason: correct lousy typing
Old Jan 8, 2015, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Spokeshole Catron
The Department of Homeland Security, which includes the TSA, said later Wednesday that Secretary Jeh Johnson shares those concerns and will go to the Atlanta airport Thursday to meet with TSA and airport stakeholders. The trip is intended "to help assess potential vulnerabilities related to site security at airports nationwide behind the sterile area," spokeswoman Marsha Catron said.
I doubt any passengers will be included in His Majesty's little get-together at ATL.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 5:29 am

Gun-Running in the Jet Age

NY Times this morning:

The reason, shocking in its simplicity, is that most back-room airport workers are not required to pass through metal detectors on the way to the job....

The agency insisted it was alert to insiders’ threats and required regular background and criminal checks on employees.
http://tinyurl.com/mvxo3d9

What will come of this? Something somewhat positive, I presume, but it certainly won't include screening of all TSA workers in addition to airport workers. That would be a fail.
Old Jan 9, 2015, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petaluma1
NY Times this morning:

http://tinyurl.com/mvxo3d9

What will come of this? Something somewhat positive, I presume, but it certainly won't include screening of all TSA workers in addition to airport workers. That would be a fail.
http://seattletimes.com/html/travel/...tsecurity.html

TSA considering new security measures for airport workers

Anyone who thinks there is good security when most airport workers can waltz into the secure areas of an airport without benefit of any security screening other than a background check have a poor understanding of security.

In any industry insider threats should be and are considered viable threat avenues except where TSA is in control of security. The incident at ATL is not the first security violation by airport workers. Perhaps this time it has gained the attention of some of the policy makers.

Sadly I doubt TSA will take the correct steps to close this security hole and will instead make passenger screening more onerous.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
One (or both) of two things will likely happen.

1) worker screening will be used as an excuse to add more NoS machines, and

2) worker screening will be 'random' and there will be substantial 'exemptions': no NoS, no shoes/jackets off, no 'suits' or TSOs need to be screened.

We're told that total time for pax screening, TDC to exit, even including a grope, is very short. TSOs and airport workers should, like pilots and FAs, be able to reduce this even more. They're prepared, no bags, presumably they'll all get pre-check, so they don't even have to disrobe.

Surely these are minor considerations when our security is at stake?
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:12 pm

2) worker screening will be 'random' and there will be substantial 'exemptions': no NoS, no shoes/jackets off, no 'suits' or TSOs need to be screened.

We're told that total time for pax screening, TDC to exit, even including a grope, is very short. TSOs and airport workers should, like pilots and FAs, be able to reduce this even more. They're prepared, no bags, presumably they'll all get pre-check, so they don't even have to disrobe.

Most airport workers do not enter the "sterile" area via checkpoints, so I doubt passengers will see even more NoS machines.

Something tells me that airport workers would vigorously object to NoS - they can strike, you know - and therefore NoS won't be installed at employee entrances.

WTMDs might be installed at employee entrances, but I agree that screening even by WTMD will be random and there will be significant exemptions.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've told the story before of watching workers enter at an employee entrance at DFW. No screening and the workers were bringing in all manner of items that could conceal contraband. One guy dressed in a uniform suggesting ramp agent type duties even had a roll-a-board suitcase. Another person had 6 two litre bottles of soda. It was a solid stream of people with items that should be screened.

If security is worth doing it's worth doing right and TSA security is not done right.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Most airport workers do not enter the "sterile" area via checkpoints, so I doubt passengers will see even more NoS machines.

Something tells me that airport workers would vigorously object to NoS - they can strike, you know - and therefore NoS won't be installed at employee entrances.

WTMDs might be installed at employee entrances, but I agree that screening even by WTMD will be random and there will be significant exemptions.
I've been told that Whole Body Scanners sre being installed at all Federal Bureau of Prisons units for employee screening. They already had WTMD. Surely if WBI are good enough for federal employees they are good enough for our airport workers.
Old Jan 10, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP

Well guess what? I flew out of ATL this past Thursday, and all the airport sterile area workers were being sent down the North Security line into the AIT scanner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.