Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Canadian shot by U.S. border guards at Ambassador Bridge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian shot by U.S. border guards at Ambassador Bridge

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by GUWonder
There are situations where a bit of patience mixed with a rapid, cool-headed assessment and strong communication/negotiating skills really is an alternative to shooting upon sight of a gun in the hand of a stranger, sometimes even when it seems like the concerning gun could be pointed in your general direction.
And while you're being patient, the guy starts shooting at you.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
And while you're being patient, the guy starts shooting at you.
You are jumping to a conclusion that a person would necessarily start shooting at me. A fantasy?
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
You are jumping to a conclusion that a person would necessarily start shooting at me. A fantasy?
Oh, so he's pointing a gun. But he may or may not shoot. So let's wait and see.
Perhaps CBP agent should call a time out and call in a mediator.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SFO777
Oh, so he's pointing a gun. But he may or may not shoot. So let's wait and see.
Perhaps CBP agent should call a time out and call in a mediator.
If I'm in an armored vehicle and the potential hostile fire provider is sort of focused at me and is not around any exposed bystanders, perhaps.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wasn't the training in use of force continuum implicitly built upon the notion that there are alternatives to lethal use of force?

I am sure you don't believe that the existence of training modules mean that law enforcement are perfect in use of all training modules provided them.
You seem to be so sure that the alternatives weren't followed - why is that?

If I'm in an armored vehicle and the potential hostile fire provider is sort of focused at me and is not around any exposed bystanders, perhaps.
CBP doesn't deploy armored vehicles on normal patrol duties.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halls120
You seem to be so sure that the alternatives weren't followed - why is that?
Sometimes they aren't, of that I have no doubt.

About this situation of the nutty Canadian who seemed to want a "suicide by cop" at the Ambassador Bridge after failing to have that happen earlier that day, I'm certainly not sure. You sure seem sure about something about which I'm not sure.

As I said earlier, he seems to have wanted "suicide by cop". It seems to not have gone according to plan.

CBP doesn't deploy armored vehicles on normal patrol duties.
Context matters. A number of my posts were in response to a blanket claim of there not being an alternative to lethal force when a gun is pointed in the other direction. Sometimes there is an alternative.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You sure seem sure about something about which I'm not sure.
You're right - I am.

Context matters. A number of my posts were in response to a blanket claim of there not being an alternative to lethal force when a gun is pointed in the other direction. Sometimes there is an alternative.
Yes, but your alternative is ridiculous because the CBP does not deploy armored vehicles in a normal patrol mode, and in the case of this shooting, there is no evidence they had done so.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 7:59 am
Suspended

You're right - I am.
You're free to imagine my mind as you wish, but your claims don't align with what I know about my own mind. Just goes to show that mind-reading has its limits, even for those who once upon a time believed in Santa Claus.

Yes, but your alternative is ridiculous because the CBP does not deploy armored vehicles in a normal patrol mode, and in the case of this shooting, there is no evidence they had done so.
My mention of there being an alternative is not ridiculous. Keep in mind that I was commenting in response to a "no alternative to lethal force" claim that was not limited to CBP.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're free to imagine my mind as you wish, but your claims don't align with what I know about my own mind. Just goes to show that mind-reading has its limits, even for those who once upon a time believed in Santa Claus.

My mention of there being an alternative is not ridiculous. Keep in mind that I was commenting in response to a "no alternative to lethal force" claim that was not limited to CBP.
If an actor points a weapon towards a LEO then little choice remains other than to defend oneself. It would not be the time to read the tea leaves to determine intent. Pointing a gun towards another person is a deadly action and should be met with equal force.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
If an actor points a weapon towards a LEO then little choice remains other than to defend oneself. It would not be the time to read the tea leaves to determine intent. Pointing a gun towards another person is a deadly action and should be met with equal force.
Firing a gun from which a fatal/mortally-wounding shot hits is a deadly action; merely pointing a gun by itself is not a deadly action.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted- duplicate
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Firing a gun from which a fatal/mortally-wounding shot hits is a deadly action; merely pointing a gun by itself is not a deadly action.
So your counsel would be to wait and see if you have been killed before responding to a gun pointed at you?
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
You are absolutely wrong - legally and procedurally (police tactics)

Pointing a gun at someone is a deadly action, because it may result in either the death of the pointer, or the death of the pointee.

Your disdain for law enforcement/authority clouds your judgment.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Agreed.

And while pointing a gun at someone does not, in and of itself, prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the intent to shoot, it is considered by most reasonable people to constitute enough of a preponderance of evidence to warrant a reply with deadly force.

In plainer language, pointing a gun at someone doesn't always mean that you indent to shoot them, but it probably means you intend to shoot them, so it's perfectly reasonable for a cop - or anyone else - to err on the side of caution and defend themselves with whatever force is appropriate to stop you from shooting them.

Thus, shooting someone is an entirely reasonable response when that person points a gun at you. The debate on "force continuum" is hogwash in this context. When someone points a gun at you, your life is in danger, and fiddling around with non-lethal, less-than-lethal, or alternative force responses does nothing but increase the danger. When a gun - a long-range deadly weapon - comes into play, you respond with whatever force is required to neutralize the gun. In the context of a cop being targeted by a suspect with a gun, this means the cop shoots the person who points a gun at him.

Force continua and alternative responses are an appropriate topic when discussing unarmed suspects, or suspects armed with less dangerous, limited range weapons such as blades, clubs, or rocks. Distance and other factors come into play here, as such weapons are far less dangerous as distance increases, and they have far less capability to harm innocent bystanders than guns.

But if someone points a gun at you, shoot them. Any other response risks not only your own life, but the lives of anyone else in the vicinity who might be hit by a stray bullet.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 9:20 am
Suspended

WillCAD, if I followed the advice you provided in your last paragraph and applied it to contexts experienced by me, I would probably be dead already.

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
You are absolutely wrong - legally and procedurally (police tactics)

Pointing a gun at someone is a deadly action, because it may result in either the death of the pointer, or the death of the pointee.

Your disdain for law enforcement/authority clouds your judgment.

For example, pointing a gun which has no bullet in it is not a deadly action. The reaction to it (ie pointing a gun which has no ammunition in it) may be deadly, but the action prior the deadly reaction is not in and of itself deadly.

For example, pointing a gun which has a bullet in it but was never fired is not a deadly action. The reaction to it may be deadly, but the action prior the deadly reaction is not in and of itself deadly.

Or do you believe that mere gun possession -- by law enforcement or others -- is a deadly action on the part of the owner/bearer of a gun?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.