The end of carry on??

Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:03 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by AllieKat
That was the impression I got, thus why I asked about maintenance. Is it perfect? No, but it seems a hell of a lot better option than body scanners for everyone. Metal detector and explosives check. Not necessarily faster, but much more useful data if you want to really implement security.
I don't know how fast the puffer portals perform a scan, but even if it takes the same amount of time as a NoS, they would still be a tremendous time saver if they replaced the NoS, because people would no longer be stripping down and re-dressing at the c/p.

Of course, since rank-and-file TSA seems incapable of following even the simplest instructions, much less navigating the insane federal morass of rules, regs, and procedures without making half of it up as they go, a machine which requires actual maintenance and upkeep is pretty much useless to them as an organization.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by WillCAD
I don't know how fast the puffer portals perform a scan, but even if it takes the same amount of time as a NoS, they would still be a tremendous time saver if they replaced the NoS, because people would no longer be stripping down and re-dressing at the c/p.

Of course, since rank-and-file TSA seems incapable of following even the simplest instructions, much less navigating the insane federal morass of rules, regs, and procedures without making half of it up as they go, a machine which requires actual maintenance and upkeep is pretty much useless to them as an organization.
1. The concept of "NoS" (Nude-o-Scope) is ridiculous - there is no nude image in a MMW scanner. Even without ATR the image is far from "nude" in any conventional sense. With ATR, there's nothing at all of meaning.

2. The MMW scanners ARE a ridiculous waste of money, they don't identify the things that are the biggest concerns - well-concealed explosives. Ion spectrometry does, if it has profiles of the materials of concern.

One downside beyond maintenance is the false positive rate - if you've been out shooting guns, you'll fail. But it'd be something beyond security theatre.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.